1 year prove it deal...OJ Howard?

Hebert19

On 3/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, dpberr said:

No, for two reasons.

1.  Pedestrian production.  Bucs were using him as a blocker.  With TB12 and his 5,000 passing yards at the helm.  

2. Not many players come completely back from a full tear of the Achilles.  

Yup. He’s basically a bust that somehow made the cut numerous times in Tampa. I’m actually surprised he’s still in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

Howard has already proven that he's not a very productive player

Those are the type of guys worth taking a chance on like a Jordan Phillips.  Instead of signing JAGs to $5m per year.  Sign guys like Howard to vet minimum deals and let somebody else pay them next year when they get good.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Those are the type of guys worth taking a chance on like a Jordan Phillips.  Instead of signing JAGs to $5m per year.  Sign guys like Howard to vet minimum deals and let somebody else pay them next year when they get good.  

vet minimum yet you just posted this....

so I could see a $2-3m deal with incentives.  Worth a flier. 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, Hebert19 said:

He never seemed to get going in Tampa but some of that was because they had other weapons at their disposal.  I'd imagine he would be looking for a prove it deal with a good QB to try and hit a payday next year.  

If we don't go after gronk I would definitely take a flier on him. 

Howard needs to “prove it”, prove something before I’d take a flyer on him. I’d rather go in the draft before overpaying for Howard

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

vet minimum yet you just posted this....

so I could see a $2-3m deal with incentives.  Worth a flier. 

https://frontofficenfl.com/2020/05/25/2020-nfl-cba-explained-contract-incentives-ltbe-nltbe/

Since he had 14 catches for 135 catches last year and was 3rd string, you could structure the contract where you pay him say $1.5m base and put some NLTBE (Not Likely To Be Earned) incentives that should be a slam dunk for him to earn as the #2 behind Knox and raise his comp to around $2.5-3m but still only counts $1.5m cap for 2022. 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, Hebert19 said:

He never seemed to get going in Tampa but some of that was because they had other weapons at their disposal.  I'd imagine he would be looking for a prove it deal with a good QB to try and hit a payday next year.  

If we don't go after gronk I would definitely take a flier on him. 

Nah, never happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.