Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Danielle Hunter for a 1st round pick has been my #1 preferred offseason move if possible, I just wasn't sure how likely it was that he would be available. If he is it makes way too much sense for us not to pull the trigger.

That $18.5M roster bonus is the swing point.............I don't think Minnesota eats that and THEN trades him.........even for a first...........and Buffalo might have to sign him to a new contract altogether to handle the cap hit.    

I suspect Hunter will want to be the highest paid pass rusher in football based on his pre-injury years but I also thought Stefon Diggs would force the Bills to re-do his deal like Shady did.   Depends on the player, I guess.

Also not a fan of Hunter not playing much RDE..........that's the tougher position to succeed from, IMO and that is a strong point with Chandler Jones..........he has proven he can beat LT's.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That $18.5M roster bonus is the swing point.............I don't think Minnesota eats that and THEN trades him.........even for a first...........and Buffalo might have to sign him to a new contract altogether to handle the cap hit.    

I suspect Hunter will want to be the highest paid pass rusher in football based on his pre-injury years but I also thought Stefon Diggs would force the Bills to re-do his deal like Shady did.   Depends on the player, I guess.

Also not a fan of Hunter not playing much RDE..........that's the tougher position to succeed from, IMO and that is a strong point with Chandler Jones..........he has proven he can beat LT's.

I would rather keep the picks and sign Jones in FA with a contract we wrote and what works for us. I'm not about giving a rd1 up and have to redo a contract to make it work for us, not at this stage in the build of our team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

I want him,

but not for a round one pick.

Why?  He’s worthy of that trade compensation for sure.  33 sacks in his last 35 games.  

It’s how we afford his contract that is the only concern for me

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If Minnesota eats the roster bonus I wonder if that would decrease his cap hit?

That would increase compensation Minny would want in trade too though.

While I’d love to land him, I still think it’s probably unlikely because of the combo of cost to acquire and cap hit.  But I’m hoping Beane works his magic here 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

I want him,

but not for a round one pick.

Who's the first round pick that would be better than a high end DE who grades would excellently, at 28, whom you can probably extend and get his cap number down to like 15M this year?

It's not the 1st round pick the Bills would have a problem with. It's who on the roster they'd have to sacrifice to get him, because it would be Star + plus a decent to good player

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That would increase compensation Minny would want in trade too though.

While I’d love to land him, I still think it’s probably unlikely because of the combo of cost to acquire and cap hit.  But I’m hoping Beane works his magic here 

The Bills would have to extend him as part of the trade. No other way. They can't eat 25M cap hit without giving up far too much talent. Heck even 15M you're going to have to sacrifice a starter. 

• Agree 1

As much as I want to see Chandler Jones I just don't know if we can clear enough cap space for him. The Bills still have a huge need at corner and a backup quarterback. I see the Bills continuing to build the roster with mid level veterans that fit within the cap and the culture that they have built. Hope I'm wrong though as i would love to see Jones in a Bills uniform next year.

4 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

As much as I want to see Chandler Jones I just don't know if we can clear enough cap space for him. The Bills still have a huge need at corner and a backup quarterback. I see the Bills continuing to build the roster with mid level veterans that fit within the cap and the culture that they have built. Hope I'm wrong though as i would love to see Jones in a Bills uniform next year.

"huge need" is an exaggeration as Dane Jackson showed enough to be a replacement level starter, which is fine as you can protect him by making him a boundary corner.  

The problem is that Bills standing still haven't fixed their primary problem with the roster, which is speed in the back 7. You can do that by straight up adding more speed in the secondary in multiple spots, or by getting better in the pass rush so you don't have to cover Hill for as long as you do now. 

But right now, there's no reason to think the Chiefs won't put up a 40 spot on this defense.

Edited by appoo

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

"huge need" is an exaggeration as Dane Jackson showed enough to be a replacement level starter, which is fine as you can protect him by making him a boundary corner.  

The problem is that Bills standing still haven't fixed their primary problem with the roster, which is speed in the back 7. You can do that by straight up adding more speed in the secondary in multiple spots, or by getting better in the pass rush so you don't have to cover Hill for as long as you do now. 

But right now, there's no reason to think the Chiefs won't put up a 40 spot on this defense.

It's semantics, but back 4, right? Milano/Edmunds are plenty fast for LBs. It's our DBs that are a litttttttle slow. 

Edited by junior

10 minutes ago, junior said:

It's semantics, but back 4, right? Milano/Edmunds are plenty fast for LBs. It's our DBs that are a litttttttle slow. 

I also include the nickel package, which is to say the base defense. Plus when you have these LBs covering modern TEs...I mean they have average speed compared to someone like Mike Gesicki. You can't really use them in man or match up zones against teams with more athletic TEs. Now Edmunds erases a lot of ground but Milano does struggle with faster TEs.

The problem with the Bills is that they go out of their way to protect their safeties and corners. They have that mushroom zone because they simply don't have the speed to play anything more aggressive. 

There's a lot of lockeroom/intangibles that our safety battery mates bring, but I would have thought long and hard replacing 1 of them with someone like Justin Reid - or finagling a way to draft someone like Kyle Hamilton. purely on the onfield. that would be a dynamic change to the defense that allows you to get a lot more tactical with coverages. 

But as it stands I think the Bills have 5 dudes out there who run 4.55 or slower 40s. Fortunately the Bills have a good pass rush. but you want to have a defense that's going to spike elite passing games, you need to be better than good in the pass rush, with so little speed in the backend

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

It’s pretty easy to make cap space for a Chandler like signing by extending Diggs and/or restructuring white/Dawkins, etc. as for the need for a cb and speed wr, you draft those two in rounds 1 and 2. It’s not like it’s a sure thing but Tre White was pick 28 overall 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills did somehow pull a trade for Hunter, that - IMO - would have to lend itself to the thought of shopping Edmunds.  

It seems tough to re-sign Edmunds after this season anyway, with Oliver and Knox coming due.

No chance at all if Hunter's contract is in the pot. 

18 minutes ago, appoo said:

Have the chiefs done anything to think the Bills won’t put a 50 spot on them? 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Have the chiefs done anything to think the Bills won’t put a 50 spot on them? 

They've gotten a little worse actually when they lost Ward. 

But that's not really a position where I'd want the Bills to be in. Everytime they play the Chiefs, it's a complete toss up because neither offense can be consistently stopped, and if Herbert takes a stop forward and they add another WR, then they're in the same boat offensively - except they have elite defensive talent.

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If the Bills did somehow pull a trade for Hunter, that - IMO - would have to lend itself to the thought of shopping Edmunds.  

It seems tough to re-sign Edmunds after this season anyway, with Oliver and Knox coming due.

No chance at all if Hunter's contract is in the pot. 

Careful, Edmunds’ mother lurks these boards and is known to pounce on any opinions that aren’t favorable to her son. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.