Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

At least 5 elite or close to elite DEs available??  Really?  Name 5

here’s  a list

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/

Why the angst? I’d be thrilled with any of these: the aforementioned Chandler J, Justin Houston, Calais Campbell (though I know he’s more a DT), Melvin Ingram, Gregory, Hicks, Ogbah, Reddick, clowney, von miller

That’s 10, some a lot better than others but all better than what we have

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

2 days ago the Saints were 35 million over the cap and now they are 5. And they didn’t cut anybody and re-sign Carl Granderson. I’m not saying Beane will go crazy with restructures etc, but they can do anything if they want. 

It's Saturday. Free Agency opens on Monday. Beane's gonna do some stuff between now and then to get some wiggle room to make moves. But THAT much? No way. "They can do anything they want" is such a minimizing thing to say. It's not that simple. You need to have the contracts to make it work for both parties and you need them to agree to it. If it were as simple as that, we'd have the space right now.

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If the folks breaking down our cap space are correct that we could free up 30 plus million this year before an Edmonds trade then that can all be done.  

Here is the question we're going to very soon have to come to grips with.  

Do we play for '23 and beyond or do some serious splash moves to go all in now.  Maybe both can still be true but I don't know.  

We will still be a SB contender this year but our offseason will look like last years.  

And if we draft Williams at 25 I'd consider it a sign we're doing just that.  Looking long term.  

Even if we were able to land ALL those people (unrealistic), even if Beane was on the same page with you and traded Edmunds (unrealistic), even if every possible way to free up every penny was able to be done and agreed upon by those players (unrealistic) - we still wouldn't have enough cash to make all of that happen.

Saquon Barkley, Chandler Jones, Rob Gronkowski, Bobby Chandler, and re-signing Harrison Phillips is insanely unrealistic.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's Saturday. Free Agency opens on Monday. Beane's gonna do some stuff between now and then to get some wiggle room to make moves. But THAT much? No way. "They can do anything they want" is such a minimizing thing to say. It's not that simple. You need to have the contracts to make it work for both parties and you need them to agree to it. If it were as simple as that, we'd have the space right now.

Right. I agree. I really don’t think he will kick the can much, I am just saying he can if he wants to to.  

19 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Why the angst? I’d be thrilled with any of these: the aforementioned Chandler J, Justin Houston, Calais Campbell (though I know he’s more a DT), Melvin Ingram, Gregory, Hicks, Ogbah, Reddick, clowney, von miller

That’s 10, some a lot better than others but all better than what we have

Gotcha.  Not angst, sorry.  I just think people throw the word “elite” around there way too often.  

I’d really like Jones or Miller. Both worthy of elite imo.  Ogbah next I suppose

clowney, sure.  The only rumors I’ve heard about him leaving cleveland is he wants to get paid and they aren’t willing to pay him what he’s looking for. Which is probably too rich for us.  

Reddick-  not sure how he fits on this team.  Maybe that of Lorenzo’s old role? He and

ed next to eachother sounds fierce vs the pass but 😳 vs the run.  

Gregory is good, but I want no part of paying Gregory any kind of guaranteed money.  I don’t see him as a guy McB would go after.  

houston, Campbell, and Ingram = I’d rather have Jerry Hughes back and he’ll be cheaper.  He deserves to win the SB this year. 

hicks is a beast but more of a 3T for our scheme?  Is he capable of playing the 1?  He’s def not a DE on this team imo.  

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He’s a DT no? 

Would replace harrison imo.  1T with some pass rush ability 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Hearing Chandler Jones unlikely to sign here per Albright. In that case I have no idea what Beane was thinking not making a move for Mack. We are desperate for a legit pass rush. 

Just for context, we were first or second in pressure rate and top 10 in sacks. We can use a stud but we are absolutely not desperate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again, the Bills could not absorb Mack’s contract. He has a 30 mill cap hit this year. He already restructured it last year and wasn’t going to again. That is part of the deal. 

The Chargers are only responsible for $17.75 million of that cap hit in 2022.

Joe Marino easily created $38.5 million in cap space by extending a few core players and restructuring their cap hits in 2022 in his mock offseason. So yes we absolutely could have afforded Mack and still had plenty of room left to spare.

I'm hoping that Beane has another move ready to pull the trigger on, something like signing Chandler Jones or trading for Danielle Hunter. If an impact edge rusher isn't added given the choices that were available I will likely consider this offseason a failure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Here is the question we're going to very soon have to come to grips with.  

Do we play for '23 and beyond or do some serious splash moves to go all in now.  Maybe both can still be true but I don't know.  

Trading for Mack would not have been an "all in" move. "All in" is what the Rams did when they gave a 1st round pick for a one year rental of Brandin Cooks, a 2nd for a one year rental of Sammy Watkins, and a 2nd and 3rd for a half a year rental of Von Miller. Restructuring a few contracts and giving up a 2nd for three years of an impact pass rusher is not the same thing. Trading a 1st for Diggs didn't mortgage our future. Neither would the Mack trade if we had pulled it off.

Beast.  Substantial return + his salary is scary.  Maybe we could address the edge pass rush by moving Ed out to DE on early downs.  And have ed and Fletcher inside on passing downs.  If we’re going to pay Ed big bucks after this season, we might want to experiment some. He was a game wrecker the last 1/3 of the season. 

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Would you rather have Cox or Chandler Jones?

Jones would only cost money and who knows what the price for Cox would be.

Interesting.

Jones by a wide margin imo.

jones + the draft pick we didn’t have to trade >>> cox minus the draft pick 

17 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His contract is a monster, I don’t think he’s an option without reworking his deal.

If we traded for him I think his cap hit would be 8.6m - 8.4 salary and 200k workout bonus. So….if they have any interest in picks and Cole in the trade he’d only be 2m add’l to cap. I’m torn though because (a) Singletary was great at the end of last what and (b) CMC running would mean less josh throwing. Though cmc catching out of the backfield for us would be unbelievable. CMC, diggs, Gabriel, knox, Gronk (if we sign him) and a wr at 25 or 57; how does a team cover all these guys?

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Trading for Mack would not have been an "all in" move. "All in" is what the Rams did when they gave a 1st round pick for a one year rental of Brandin Cooks, a 2nd for a one year rental of Sammy Watkins, and a 2nd and 3rd for a half a year rental of Von Miller. Restructuring a few contracts and giving up a 2nd for three years of an impact pass rusher is not the same thing. Trading a 1st for Diggs didn't mortgage our future. Neither would the Mack trade if we had pulled it off.

Mack was great until the last 2 years. That would have been a lot of risk for a guy who couldn’t stay on the field the last 2 years. That’s why the draft picks traded were underwelming 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.