Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, you realize FA hasn’t even officially started yet, the draft hasn’t been held yet and we haven’t hit the 2nd wave of FA yet, right?  This is a thread rant for months from now, not the day before the start of the new league year. 

Correct.

And, to add to what you stated, the Rams added OBJ and Miller as in-season trades last year.

There are many ways to accomplish getting a roster to a Championship level. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not a fan of Shenault.   He was a guy without a position in college and has regressed as a WR in JAX....

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/01/17/jacksonville-jaguars-2021-season-recap/

Biggest Disappointment – Laviska Shenault

Shenault was primed for a breakout season as he was an unpolished receiver coming into the NFL. Entering his second season, Shenualt was expected to take a jump in running routes, and be more included as a gadget player. While the coaching staff failed to put Shenault into a position to succeed, he did himself no favors as his route running did not improve and his hands got worse. The concern going forward is now the drops, where Shenault had ten of them on 95 targets. A 13 percent drop rate may seem bad, but what was worse is many of the drops killed drives or were on critical plays. 

7 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Not a fan of Shenault.   He was a guy without a position in college and has regressed as a WR in JAX....

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/01/17/jacksonville-jaguars-2021-season-recap/

Shenault was primed for a breakout season as he was an unpolished receiver coming into the NFL. Entering his second season, Shenualt was expected to take a jump in running routes, and be more included as a gadget player. While the coaching staff failed to put Shenault into a position to succeed, he did himself no favors as his route running did not improve and his hands got worse. The concern going forward is now the drops, where Shenault had ten of them on 95 targets. A 13 percent drop rate may seem bad, but what was worse is many of the drops killed drives or were on critical plays. 

Shenault was Deebo in college. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Are Shernault and lil dirty to similar of players? Asking for a friend? 😳

Both gadget type of players I’d say. Shenault is bigger, but not as fast. He really hasn’t progressed either and has lots of drops. I like McKenzie better. We need a burner. 

2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Both gadget type of players I’d say. Shenault is bigger, but not as fast. He really hasn’t progressed either and has lots of drops. I like McKenzie better. We need a burner. 

Shenault would basically be like a draft pick to develop. He has rare ability with the ball in his hands. He'd be a better WR in Buffalo I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It seems like “13 Seconds” has become a Rorschach Test around here… either you think the roster had everything it needed to win that game and would’ve gone on to win the Super Bowl, so there’s nothing wrong with “running it back,” or you think they were 1-2 difference makers away from getting it done and should be aggressively trying to find that missing piece.

I fall into the second category.  The thing is, Beane’s post-season PC indicated he did too - he talked about needing to add speed and YAC to the offense, improving the pass rush, etc. - maybe you can find all of that later on in free agency or in the draft.  Let’s hope he does.  But at some point you cannot be content with just staying put, other teams are aggressively trying to improve, too, and we need to stay in the arms race to stay on top.  The offense needs more weapons, the secondary needs more speed, and the pass rush needs a closer - I cannot get excited about changing out veteran DTs and guards on Day 1 of free agency.  Go get the real difference-makers and let’s win this thing.

I would say like most discussions or disagreements they tend to be categorized in black or white terms.   Not everything is black or white, I would say most of the time the answers tend to be in the greyish area.   To win a Super Bowl, more often than not you have to have a couple things going in your favor, A) That you are a really good football team and B) a little bit of luck.     The more of A) you have the less of B) that is needed.

The Rams, has a good team but man did they have a lot of luck along the way.  They were almost eliminated from winning the Superbowl a few times and if they had not had a play or two go their way, a lot of people would be talking about how stupid it was of them to go all- in and not come away with a title.   

With that said, I think the statement is true that under the Bills team construct that they had last year, if the coaches and team would have handled what should have been a sure victory the way it should have, there is a decent chance that the Bills would have won the Super Bowl.   It truly is a game of inches.

What I do know is that this year the Bills will have to fill around 14-19 holes on the team due to the cuts and FA's that will go elsewhere.   That is a lot of holes to plug and cannot be done through the draft.  At most you can realistically hope that the Bills fill 5-7 through the draft, which means that they have to fill anywhere from 9-14 via FA.   Yesterday with tendering Bates, signing Mckenzie and picking up Saffold, Settles and Daquan, the Bills now have around 10-15 more that they have to replace.

Which means that there has to be extra room to be made in the CAP to fill those holes.  Which according to my behind the napkin math, we should be able to potentially free up another $25 - $30 M year if you extend/restructure Diggs, restructure Dawkins, cut Beasley, cut Matakavich, extend/restructure Edmunds (if the price is right) and a couple other small moves.

There is enough money for them to get a Chandler Jones and pick up 9-14 players more that they will need to fill the teams holes.   But the margin is super tight and probably would mean that Chandler wouldn't be chasing after the highest bidder to accept the offer that could be made.

However, assuming the Bills do a decent job in plugging the rest of the holes, yesterday I thought was a very positive day for the Bills.  The Bills weakest part of their offense last year in my opinion was picking up short yardage on needed plays via the RB's because of the line not being able to get the push needed.  Saffold helps with that, so in the trenches on offense the Bills upgraded.    The weakest part of the defense last year in my view was being able to stop the run in between the tackles and they improved on that front by picking up Settles and Daquan.  The Bills attacked the trenches yesterday and on paper the Bills should be a better team in running the ball and stopping the run.  

The Bills are right there, yes if they get a Chandler Jones it improves the odds even more so and I would think they will go after him, Zadarius Smith, Clowney or Miller.  Beane has made many comments on adding speed to the team, winning the trenches and getting after the QB.   They addressed the trenches yesterday, and I think they will go after the Edge rusher in the coming days.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Bolded is because whether you get comp picks at all is decided only by number of relevant outgoings/incomings (which is 2/2 right now), and quality of the pick (i.e. which round) is determined only when you have more outgoings than incomings?

I am asking since apparently the way you listed is that outgoings should net more value.

Yes. First you must lose more than you gain. Only then does the cancellation formula kick in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Wasn't a fan of Shenault either, especially around draft time like some on here were. Easy pass for me, unless it's for a 6th or a 7th. Sure as hell am not giving up a 3rd for him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. First you must lose more than you gain. Only then does the cancellation formula kick in.

I believe you can have a net zero or even positive gain of CFAs and get a comp pick(s) if the CFAs lost are better than those gained.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I believe you can have a net zero or even positive gain of CFAs and get a comp pick(s) if the CFAs lost are better than those gained.

Only if they are non-qualifying. So let's say you lose 2 and gain 4 but three of the ones you gain are not in the top 32 in terms of AAV (or top however many it is left to allocate once the minority hire picks have been allocated) then you can get a pick. 

Over the Cap is actually forecasting Jones will be non-qualifying that Harrison and Mitch are both only 6th round value with Settle cancelling one if those as 7th round value.

So actually as of now OTC suggests we would get one 6th rounder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.