Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

A $40 million cap hit for a DT!?  I would rather have them sign Jones as a FA than trade a bunch for Cox, personally.

He wouldn’t be a 40M cap hit for us.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Philly could certainly use a young linebacker….

Sorry, had to… 

(half joking)

You ain’t lying

27 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His contract is a monster, I don’t think he’s an option without reworking his deal.

Actually a team that trades for McCaffrey would only have an $8.6 million cap hit in 2022, and would have zero guaranteed money due after that season. Carolina would take the brunt of the cap hit. That's why they're reportedly seeking a 1st, it actually costs them more cap space in 2022 to trade him and the trading team would carry no real risk.

• Like (+1) 2

Cox would pricey as his salary AP hit to the acquiring team is low from what I can tell. 2022 salary of 1.12m, roster bonus of $1m and an option of $2.9m whatever that means. I don’t think the acquiring team would be responsible for restructured done in the past the contract. So $5m for 2022 and even less in 2024 is dirt cheap snd is going to be costly. Thinking pick 25 plus

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Would you rather have Cox or Chandler Jones?

Jones would only cost money and who knows what the price for Cox would be.

Interesting.

Speaking just about the players, not salary or compensation...

Cox did have a down year last year statistically, so the Bills would have to determine if they think he is on the decline, or if it was instead due to him being unhappy with the Eagles, trade rumors, contract, defensive system (as has all been rumored). [He's 10 months younger than Jones---so it's really a question for both players, are they on the decline?]

But, I think Cox would be a much bigger impact player for the Bills (than Jones). QBs try to get the ball out quickly against the Bills defense, so it is hard for outside pass rushers to get home. But Cox would shore us up against the run and still gets interior pressure on the QB. The man has been a beast and can disrupt a game.

I would love the Bills to get Cox (if determined that his play still matches the cost).

Edited by folz

No guarantees you’ll land one of the top edge rushers so I like the idea of Fletcher Cox as a backup plan. I’d even support Akiem Hicks from Chicago if he had a favorable contract here, guy single handedly shuts down run games when healthy. 

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Cox would pricey as his salary AP hit to the acquiring team is low from what I can tell. 2022 salary of 1.12m, roster bonus of $1m and an option of $2.9m whatever that means. I don’t think the acquiring team would be responsible for restructured done in the past the contract. So $5m for 2022 and even less in 2024 is dirt cheap snd is going to be costly. Thinking pick 25 plus

It's a good question, but I think the trade partner would take on the restructure bonus just as the trade partner takes on a roster bonus if the trade is finalized before it comes due.

It's only amortized signing bonuses (already paid out money) that stay with the trading team

I think

Since posting wrong gouge on the internet is well known as the best way to get correct information, I feel certain we'll be set straight soonest

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

A $40 million cap hit for a DT!?  I would rather have them sign Jones as a FA than trade a bunch for Cox, personally.

$40m dead cap for eagles if they move him.  His cap hit is just about $15m

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/fletcher-cox-9822/

How many players have we signed that we were rumored to be in on before hand under Beane? IIRC we just get news of a signing with nothing before.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if we were able to land ALL those people (unrealistic), even if Beane was on the same page with you and traded Edmunds (unrealistic), even if every possible way to free up every penny was able to be done and agreed upon by those players (unrealistic) - we still wouldn't have enough cash to make all of that happen.

Saquon Barkley, Chandler Jones, Rob Gronkowski, Bobby Chandler, and re-signing Harrison Phillips is insanely unrealistic.

I’m not here to disagree with you but last year we also thought that no way will be able to keep Milano and Williams , just saying that if Bean wants to get something done he’ll figure out a way 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s going to play out this year and go from there. Beane isn’t changing out the captain of the D, they are all in this year.  

I agree with you but if we are moving on from him next year ,  wouldn’t it be better to get something for him instead of letting walk ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.