Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

Hmmm

Some quick-hitters to get to this week. And because we’re closing in fast on the start of the league year, we’ve got a few interesting ones for you.

• The Bills—of Buffalo—are becoming a bit of a destination for veteran free agents. I’m told at least one big-name veteran reached out to the Bills (it’s usually the other way around) to show his interest in them and set up a meeting for his agent at the combine last week. So if the finances work out, it wouldn’t surprise me to see someone like that signed by the Bills.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/07/mmqb-aidan-hutchinson-michigan-top-prospect

Already released big name players …? Amari Cooper and Zadarius Smith haven’t been released yet I don’t think 

• Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills FA rumors (updated with MMQB nugget from combine)
1 minute ago, Doc said:

Beane's under no pressure.  He, along with McD, built the team up to be SB contenders thanks to drafting an incredible QB.  If the price is too high, he'll simply tell Terry the reality of the situation, probably like he did last year with Watt.  There might be other factors, again like there were with Watt.  But this is something to revisit if and only if the Bills sign a star FA and appear to sorely overpay, which I seriously doubt happens.

I'm not pretending to miss the point.  I'm saying the point is suspect.  If you want to believe it/that that's the only reason they'd add a premier FA, knock yourself out.

Do you know that Pegula told Beane to make a splashy move last season?  If not, you can’t compare the situations of watt last season and this situation (if Pegula did in fact tell him to make a splashy move to appease the fans). 

I think that Beane will make a splashy move if the price is right, regardless of what season it is.  

The part I don’t like….is the owner telling him to do so…..in order to appease the fans

I saw some speculation on Twitter that the "big name free agent" supposedly reaching out to Buffalo to set up a meeting is a pass catcher. That makes sense to me. Someone who is sick of catching passes from scrubs, who sees Josh Allen is a surefire way to revitalize their career and re-up their value.

Perhaps an Allen Robinson type?

Edited by Logic

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you know that Pegula told Beane to make a splashy move last season?  If not, you can’t compare the situations of watt last season and this situation (if Pegula did in fact tell him to make a splashy move to appease the fans). 

I think that Beane will make a splashy move if the price is right, regardless of what season it is.  

The part I don’t like….is the owner telling him to do so…..in order to appease the fans

That would be the part I also would not like, assuming this is true.  But it would certainly make a lot of sense from a business perspective.  There is a new stadium deal is being finalized and the team recently fell short of their very high expectations.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I saw some speculation on Twitter that the "big name free agent" supposedly reaching out to Buffalo to set up a meeting is a pass catcher. That makes sense to me. Someone who is sick of catching passes from scrubs, who sees Josh Allen is a surefire way to revitalize their career and re-up their value.

Gronk?  He fits pass catcher and is someone who would reach out to the Bills.  Also he’d be a big deal with the media.  Not quite a “big splash move” as I’d normally think of one though. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Christian Kirk? He may not be released yet, but has that ever really stopped anyone from talking?  

1 minute ago, Logic said:

In order to set up a meeting at the combine it would need to be someone already cut, right? Or is tampering just not even a thing anymore 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If a true 'big splash' type of move is coming, we will know pretty quick with FA on the horizon just over a week away.

And still think the time is now to swing for the fences to land a premier pass rusher if we are ever going to get over the hump and beat Mahomes and KC when it really matters.

And speaking of KC, rumors keep circulating that they are primed for a big offseason with pending moves to free up lots of cap space coming. So by default we are almost forced to make our own big moves to keep pace.

KC has a large number of UFAs so they are already going to need to either resign or replace them so I would imagine they have to have a big offseason

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

KC has a large number of UFAs so they are already going to need to either resign or replace them so I would imagine they have to have a big offseason

The only big impending loss they may have is Matheiu who has indicated he's looking for a one last huge deal which the Chiefs aren't going to offer. Will hurt their secondary but it's not like it was a dominant unit to begin with. They are going to have a bunch of space after releasing Frank Clark and extending Hill.

The consensus opinion in the KC media circle is that they are going to also swing big for a pass rusher this offeason, in addition to bringing in another WR weapon for Mahomes. So combine that with the great young core they already have and the best draft class of 2021 this team isn't going anywhere anytime soon hence the pressure for Beane to make equally significant moves in this chess game.

17 hours ago, Mango said:

Bills get the Ramsey and Donald. 

Our new home will be “Los Angeles Field at St Louis Rams Stadium”

League doesn’t have to pay back the city of STL.

Source: Kim Pegula’s MS Paint presentation on MySpace. 

Something, something. Ground up and in the freezer.

Of all things, why you gotta take a shot at MS paint?

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Gronk?  He fits pass catcher and is someone who would reach out to the Bills.  Also he’d be a big deal with the media.  Not quite a “big splash move” as I’d normally think of one though. 

Not a big splash to someone who is into the NFL enough to spend a lot of time on message boards and know who most NFL starters are............but I tailgate with tons of people who are only about the Bills.........and that is a good representation of most season ticket holders and Bills fans in general, IMO...........and Gronk is a top 10-20 name in the league to them.

It would be a huge splash to the general Bills public.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No I don't, but Beane pursued Watt and there was no stadium deal then.

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The only big impending loss they may have is Matheiu who has indicated he's looking for a one last huge deal which the Chiefs aren't going to offer. Will hurt their secondary but it's not like it was a dominant unit to begin with. They are going to have a bunch of space after releasing Frank Clark and extending Hill.

The consensus opinion in the KC media circle is that they are going to also swing big for a pass rusher this offeason, in addition to bringing in another WR weapon for Mahomes. So combine that with the great young core they already have and the best draft class of 2021 this team isn't going anywhere anytime soon hence the pressure for Beane to make equally significant moves in this chess game.

Orlando Brown Jr. is an impending FA and scheduled to make $20M/year.

Just now, Doc said:

No I don't, but Beane pursued Watt and there was no stadium deal then.

Orlando Brown Jr. is an impending FA and scheduled to make $20M/year.

Yeah…..which is why last this and this year are different and not really situations to compare 

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not a big splash to someone who is into the NFL enough to spend a lot of time on message boards and know who most NFL starters are............but I tailgate with tons of people who are only about the Bills.........and that is a good representation of most season ticket holders and Bills fans in general, IMO...........and Gronk is a top 10-20 name in the league to them.

It would be a huge splash to the general Bills public.

Gronk would excite me as a fan.

Allen Robinson or Christian Kirk? I would reach Quinn Early levels of excitement zzzzzzzz, draft a WR high instead.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not if he refuses to sign it

True but doubtful that will happen and Veach said this gives them flexibility to hammer out a long term deal.

But getting back to the point, the Bills obviously cant stand pat and trot out the 'run it back'  or 'build through the draft' message this year. If anything the veterans on this team aren't going to accept it given how close they are to taking that next step. Everyone behind the four walls at One Bills Drives knows the time is now to make a serious move or two in the offseason.

• Eyeroll 2

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hmmm

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/07/mmqb-aidan-hutchinson-michigan-top-prospect

Already released big name players …? Amari Cooper and Zadarius Smith haven’t been released yet I don’t think 

Hmmm, already been released o mayber is going to be released soon. I can't think of a "big name" off top of my head at the moment

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.