Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, Warcodered said:

If that's the reason they made a splash move that'd be so dumb, fans would care more about the team remaining good than a splashy move at the time you're announcing the stadium deal. The fans are going to feel the costs of the deal down the road the team still needs to be good then.

Agree, War.  A blanket statement assuming that we are just as stupid as the average NFL fans.

We are not geniuses by any stretch, but we are smart enough to understand the long term stability of the franchise, and our front office is also not that stupid.

Does someone need proof of this with respect to our front office not being short sighted?

Josh Rosen is not the starting QB for this team. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

of course it’s a rumor.  Everyone got that.  You missed what the rumor is: splashy signing as a distraction for the fans for the cost of the stadium.

and….if true, it’s sad and cynical they would think that lowly of the fans’ intelligence. 

Keep up

"If true."  Yeah, keep...believing what you want. 

But again, if it gets a player that can help the Bills, great.  The idea is to win games, right?

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who has ESPN+ and can find the rumor Thad is referring to?

Looks like there's some coverage of it here:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/03/nfl-rumors-dont-rule-out-big-splash-move-for-buffalo-bills-says-nfl-insider.html

That's such lazy, poor journalism.  One member of the press speculates something, and gets cited as a source "reporting" it elsewhere

Despite what appears to be a lack of cap space, one NFL insider believes Buffalo could make one notable move this offseason. ESPN NFL insider Dan Graziano reported on Sunday that the Bills could make a “big-splash move” in the next few weeks.

“The Bills have been knocking on the Super Bowl door the past couple of years, but don’t rule out a big-splash move aimed at getting them over that hump and making sure Bills fans’ excitement remains at a froth,” said Graziano.

The speculation is Gronkowski

One name that could fit the “splash” criteria is tight end Rob Gronkowski. Tim Graham of The Athletic recently reported that Buffalo was interested in adding the future Hall of Fame tight end to their offense. Buffalo reportedly had interest in adding Gronkowski last year as well, but the tight end returned to Tampa Bay to play alongside Tom Brady.

And again, the "source" is a speculating reporter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/03/nfl-rumors-dont-rule-out-big-splash-move-for-buffalo-bills-says-nfl-insider.html

That's such lazy, poor journalism.  One member of the press speculates something, and gets cited as a source "reporting" it elsewhere

The state of journalism these days is a joke.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe a change is needed?  Get a stud defensive full-time player instead of multiple wave players.

So you don’t think it’s bad for an owner to interfere with the GMs plan and tells him to do something different?  It’s all bad…. If this happens to be true.  But I don’t believe it

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The idea that the FO hasn't made moves before is wrong.  Diggs was huge. 

They tried for JJ and Ertz last year.  But they have figures in mind.  The hope is that they can get one of the bigger names at market value or below - to get a good deal on a position of need.  Getting Gronk or C Jones could easily fit that profile.  And those aren't adding players for just Splash.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

of course it’s a rumor.  Everyone got that.  You missed what the rumor is: splashy signing as a distraction for the fans for the cost of the stadium.

and….if true, it’s sad and cynical they would think that lowly of the fans’ intelligence. 

Keep up

I wasn’t even alluding to that aspect being sad, but this is also pretty ridiculous.  Just seems like smokescreens and mirrors are embedded in every aspect of life nowadays.  

I’d just be more upset about an owner telling the GM how to GM.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So you don’t think it’s bad for an owner to interfere with the GMs plan and tells him to do something different?  It’s all bad…. If this happens to be true.  But I don’t believe it

The GM's job is to get good players.  It's not interfering so much is it's "get the best player you want."  And it's not like the Bills haven't tried to make "splash" moves in the past, most notably going after JJ Watt last year.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

The GM's job is to get good players.  It's not interfering so much is it's "get the best player you want."  And it's not like the Bills haven't tried to make "splash" moves in the past, most notably going after JJ Watt last year.

I get what your saying and if that’s all that was said, I agree, no big deal from that standpoint.  

We don’t know for sure what Beanes plan is at this point.  We can guesstimate that making a splashy move is on the agenda IF the price is right.  What if the price of the guys he’s targeting isn’t right?  If at that point, he is still being told to make a splashy move, it’s a big problem.  How much pressure will be on Beane to make a splashy move if the price for the targets he covets most is too high?  

The owner should write the checks and let the GM do his job.  Additional pressure to “appease the fans” is nonsense, especially if it’s just to distract them from paying for the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I get what your saying and if that’s all that was said, I agree, no big deal from that standpoint.  

We don’t know for sure what Beanes plan is at this point.  We can guesstimate that making a splashy move is on the agenda IF the price is right.  What if the price of the guys he’s targeting isn’t right?  If at that point, he is still being told to make a splashy move, it’s a big problem.  How much pressure will be on Beane to make a splashy move if the price for the targets he covets most is too high?  

The owner should write the checks and let the GM do his job.  Additional pressure to “appease the fans” is nonsense, especially if it’s just to distract them from paying for the stadium. 

Up to this point we haven’t really had to worry too much about undue owner micro interference with this FO, let’s hope that trend continues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

"If true."  Yeah, keep...believing what you want. 

But again, if it gets a player that can help the Bills, great.  The idea is to win games, right?

yes, if true.  That was said multiple times.

I know you're pretending to miss the point.  If it's a good idea to bring in a "splash" FA, then do it because it will help the team, not as a distraction.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's odd that you think Tim Graham made that "Gronk interest" story up because he didn't cite his source.............when you have at the same time noted elsewhere that agents and team personnel can't discuss other teams players in this time period.

Agents are floating out stories they want heard.........the media are going to run with that.

Way too much hand-wringing about the quality of journalism at a time of year when we know that agents and teams are already negotiating contracts behind the scenes.

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Laken Tomlinson is what I would consider a sexy splash move in my mind. Keep building that oline and Josh will be able to pick apart defenses regardless of who his receivers are.

I agree that OL is priority #1 IMO and Beane has said as much............but Gronk would be a much higher profile deal with Bills fans and he is an extension of the OL and overall protection as well.

I like Tomlinson........but from a distance I don't see a fit............he will be looking to make his first big score in UFA and he has already been part of a SB contending team.

I actually see Scherff as a better match..........he has already made a ton of money playing for bad teams..........maybe he looks at a 5 year deal with Buffalo at a $2M-$3M aav discount as a way to win SB's while playing in a football rabid town with a very stable organization that has great facilities and a track record for keeping players healthy.   Cinci is often cited as his destination but they don't quite check all of those same boxes.

• Like (+1) 3

If a true 'big splash' type of move is coming, we will know pretty quick with FA on the horizon just over a week away.

And still think the time is now to swing for the fences to land a premier pass rusher if we are ever going to get over the hump and beat Mahomes and KC when it really matters.

And speaking of KC, rumors keep circulating that they are primed for a big offseason with pending moves to free up lots of cap space coming. So by default we are almost forced to make our own big moves to keep pace.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

And speaking of KC, rumors keep circulating that they are primed for a big offseason with pending moves to free up lots of cap space coming. So by default we are almost forced to make our own big moves to keep pace.

Hope the Bills aren’t listening to “rumours “ about what another team is supposedly doing… 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Beane's under no pressure.  He, along with McD, built the team up to be SB contenders thanks to drafting an incredible QB.  If the price is too high, he'll simply tell Terry the reality of the situation, probably like he did last year with Watt.  There might be other factors, again like there were with Watt.  But this is something to revisit if and only if the Bills sign a star FA and appear to sorely overpay, which I seriously doubt happens.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

yes, if true.  That was said multiple times.

I know you're pretending to miss the point.  If it's a good idea to bring in a "splash" FA, then do it because it will help the team, not as a distraction.

I'm not pretending to miss the point.  I'm saying the point is suspect.  If you want to believe it/that that's the only reason they'd add a premier FA, knock yourself out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.