Britney Griner

Doc

2 minutes ago, TSOL said:

I think about 90% of all criminal cases tried in Russia are found guilty. Also, almost nobody pleads not guilty. And I'm not kidding or trying to be funny, that is true.  

You are probably right though. As has been mentioned, it takes a certain kind of stupid to try to take drugs to Russia or really any other country.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/08/04/russian-prosecutors-seek-9-1-2-year-sentence-for-griner

9 years and a $16,000 fine.

• Like (+1) 2

So 9.5 year sentence.  Sounds about right.   Almost 41 when the sentence is complete.  After hard labor for 9.5 years, the body will be shot and it's career will be over.  It's a shame it didn't think through the consequences when it smuggled dope into Russia, especially with such a feeble President at the helm.  Frankly, I'd rather see the USA utilize prisoner swaps for heroes, not dummy drug smugglers who can bounce a ball.  If they swap for the "Merchant of Death", innocent people worldwide  WILL die due to Griner's stupidity and selfishness.  What a mess!

Edited by Irv
  • Vomit 1

It's sad that people delight in the misfortune of others.  The identity politics wars have turned so many Americans, on both sides of the political aisle, into really despicable humans.

Having said that, Griner did make an incredibly stupid decision and she will now pay the price for it, same as that Marc Fogel dude who is being gulag'd for 16 years.  You don't have to like or agree with  all of the laws of another country, but you damn well best abide by them as a visitor.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's sad that people delight in the misfortune of others.  The identity politics wars have turned so many Americans, on both sides of the political aisle, into really despicable humans.

Having said that, Griner did make an incredibly stupid decision and she will now pay the price for it, same as that Marc Fogel dude who is being gulag'd for 16 years.  You don't have to like or agree with  all of the laws of another country, but you damn well best abide by them as a visitor.

I haven't followed too closely, but I just have to wonder what the hell she was doing in Russia in the first place.  Seems like the last place on Earth an American should want to be these days.  She should probably know better than to fly with weed in any form.  It's illegal to do so in the USA as well, so perhaps go without pot for a while.  This is obviously a power play by Russia as they could more easily just deport her, but they want to do prisoner swap, or if they don't get it, they will punish her far more severely than she deserves.   Truly sad.

1 minute ago, Demongyz said:

I haven't followed too closely, but I just have to wonder what the hell she was doing in Russia in the first place.  Seems like the last place on Earth an American should want to be these days.  She should probably know better than to fly with weed in any form.  It's illegal to do so in the USA as well, so perhaps go without pot for a while.  This is obviously a power play by Russia as they could more easily just deport her, but they want to do prisoner swap, or if they don't get it, they will punish her far more severely than she deserves.   Truly sad.

She went there about 5 days before the Ukraine thing started 

Just now, TSOL said:

She went there about 5 days before the Ukraine thing started 

Ok, so visiting to play ball. Victim of circumstance, and of course didn't follow the law of the land.  I hope they find a way to get her home without returning murderous wretches. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TSOL said:

I think about 90% of all criminal cases tried in Russia are found guilty. Also, almost nobody pleads not guilty. And I'm not kidding or trying to be funny, that is true.  

I heard 99%. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yup.  Try seeing any sympathy from liberals for J6'ers who just entered the Capitol non-violently and just walked around.  A stupid decision as well.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

So 9.5 year sentence.  Sounds about right.   Almost 41 when the sentence is complete.  After hard labor for 9.5 years, the body will be shot and it's career will be over.  It's a shame it didn't think through the consequences when it smuggled dope into Russia, especially with such a feeble President at the helm.  Frankly, I'd rather see the USA utilize prisoner swaps for heroes, not dummy drug smugglers who can bounce a ball.  If they swap for the "Merchant of Death", innocent people worldwide  WILL die due to Griner's stupidity and selfishness.  What a mess!

What a butt hole! 

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

This is not a criminal case, It's Putin taking a hostage 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Wrong.  She broke their laws. 

You agree with 9 years for this bs? 

Come on, Putin did this. You buy there was some fair trail here? In a dictatorship? 

I got a bridge you might be interested in 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You agree with 9 years for this bs? 

Come on, Putin did this. You buy there was some fair trail here? In a dictatorship? 

I got a bridge you might be interested in 

It's not a matter of what I agree with: it's their laws.  She broke them and admitted to it.  I would expect the same to happen to an athlete who visited the US and broke our laws.

The question is if she's getting a harsher sentence than people typically get because she's American and/or black and/or gay?  Do you think she deserves to skate because of those things?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's not a matter of what I agree with: it's their laws.  She broke them and admitted to it.  I would expect the same to happen to an athlete who visited the US and broke our laws.

The question is if she's getting a harsher sentence than people typically get because she's American and/or black and/or gay?  Do you think she deserves to skate because of those things?

Admitted to it? Was she tortured? Do we know? 

Dude, this is an act of state. There is no law in Russia except what dear leader says it is. 

You reference to race can stretch to: was she just targeted because of who she is? 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Admitted to it? Was she tortured? Do we know? 

Dude, this is an act of state. There is no law in Russia except what dear leader says it is. 

You reference to race can stretch to: was she just targeted because of who she is? 

I don't know if she was tortured.  It doesn't matter because a) she admitted it, b) her lawyers admitted it and c) she has a prescription from a US doctor to use it.  IOW...she brought it to Russia.

If she had been targeted, it was most likely because she was a (fairly) high-profile American.  They would have done the same to a straight white person also.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know if she was tortured.  It doesn't matter because a) she admitted it, b) her lawyers admitted it and c) she has a prescription from a US doctor to use it.  IOW...she brought it to Russia.

If she had been targeted, it was most likely because she was a (fairly) high-profile American.  They would have done the same to a straight white person also.

so you accept the verdict of a Russian court. Ok. 

Let's see what you say about our courts, your country's courts when Trump and company are indicted 

• Haha (+1) 1