Britney Griner

Doc

We have more important issues than worrying about what some law-breaking manly-looking basketball player that decides to break other country's laws does.

She did the crime, so she does the time. Pretty simple.

So, now her and her wife, who HATE America, want us to bring back her crying criminal a$$. Nope, rot over in Siberia. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Turn off CNN and get your head around the fact that Griner is going away for a long time.  Demented Joke Biden doesn't know what day it is.  Nobody is a afraid of the old fart.  Blinken lobbyist completely useless.  Briner would have been back home months ago if anybody other than Biden was President.  What a mess.

keep digging 

Unfortunately for Ms. Griner, it appears that the Russians think more highly of women's pro basketball than the Americans.

You'd think the NBA players and coaches so willing to inject themselves and their public persona into political issues would be making more of a stink about this. "We're all in this together," and all that. There's been some noise but mostly quiet. I know that at the end of the day this does not reduce to a political issue, but it sure feels like it does.

An American citizen deserves better than this. Set aside even the government for a second, she deserves better from her colleagues and the media responsible for covering her sport.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Unfortunately for Ms. Griner, it appears that the Russians think more highly of women's pro basketball than the Americans.

You'd think the NBA players and coaches so willing to inject themselves and their public persona into political issues would be making more of a stink about this. "We're all in this together," and all that. There's been some noise but mostly quiet. I know that at the end of the day this does not reduce to a political issue, but it sure feels like it does.

An American citizen deserves better than this. Set aside even the government for a second, she deserves better from her colleagues and the media responsible for covering her sport.

There's a women's pro basketball league in the US?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

Yeah, and they pay like 20% of what the Russian league does.

Wow.  Who'd a thunk it?  The only women's pro league I knew about was Lingerie Bowl.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

We have more important issues than worrying about what some law-breaking manly-looking basketball player that decides to break other country's laws does.

So, now her and her wife, who HATE America, want us to bring back her crying criminal a$$. Nope, rot over in Siberia. 

Astoundingly juvenile take. 
I don’t care about her politics. She is an American. To the extent she violated Russian law, we’ll, fine, Russia has every right to treat her the same way they treat Russian citizens trying to take a small quantity of cannabis oil out of Russia. 
But is that what’s going on here? Denied release on bail? Seems like she’s getting “special” treatment to use her as leverage. And that’s something we should care about. 

This President isn't going to do anything about this situation.  This administration has a difficult time completing constructive tasks every day.  Shrewd diplomacy?  Forget it.  Where have you seen that on display lately?  

Previous Presidents (pick your favorite) would have had her home already.  She's languishing in Russia out of 1) Washington indifference or 2) incompetence.  The reason this story doesn't get more press is because the media knows it's reason #1 or #2.  

22 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Astoundingly juvenile take. 
I don’t care about her politics. She is an American. To the extent she violated Russian law, we’ll, fine, Russia has every right to treat her the same way they treat Russian citizens trying to take a small quantity of cannabis oil out of Russia. 
But is that what’s going on here? Denied release on bail? Seems like she’s getting “special” treatment to use her as leverage. And that’s something we should care about. 

How many other Americans are in their jails that we DON'T know about who broke the law?

What makes her special that we should bring her back, but not the others?

27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How many other Americans are in their jails that we DON'T know about who broke the law?

What makes her special that we should bring her back, but not the others?

We should try to bring back all US citizens who are being held in custody based on anything other than open/transparent criminal process. The Griner case started that way, but it certainly isn’t going that way. And if you trust the Russian judicial system, well, that says a lot more about you than it does about Griner. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, njbuff said:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  And dat's the name of dat tune.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, L Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah I mean obese draft dodgers really inspire fear world wide I would think.  Putin could also be scared that he'll track toilet paper through his house.  Of course it could be all the McDonald's he eats that instills a true bone chilling fear.  He probably smells like Bigfoots D, truly scary.

Switch out "obese" with "ancient" and "McDonald's" with "Ben abd Jerry's", and you would be talking about our current commander in chief. 

I do feel bad for Griner in that she does not deserve to go to jail for an extended period based on the minor violation but she went to another country and expected to be like an American, you can't do that no matter who you are. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do feel bad for Griner in that she does not deserve to go to jail for an extended period based on the minor violation but she went to another country and expected to be like an American, you can't do that no matter who you are. 

Kind of makes me wonder how many russians IN russia smoke weed.

One of the write ups said defendants are acquitted 1% of the time in Russia.  - She’s stuck there for a while, probably threw away the rest of her bball career. 

bringing illegal drugs through a hostile foreign country’s airport???  Either dumb or foolishly entitled thinking rules don’t apply to them.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we’re losing the plot a bit here. Regardless of what you think of the current admin, its state department has deemed her wrongfully detained. Which means that in their estimation she has either not done the crime or for all intents and purposes has already done the time. 

I don’t know much about what amounts to TSA violations in Russia but I have to assume most people would have simply been fined and deported by now. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeviF said:

I think we’re losing the plot a bit here. Regardless of what you think of the current admin, its state department has deemed her wrongfully detained. Which means that in their estimation she has either not done the crime or for all intents and purposes has already done the time. 

I don’t know much about what amounts to TSA violations in Russia but I have to assume most people would have simply been fined and deported by now. 

wrongfully detained is pretty loose, for example, they can say they think any trial or sentence or even treatment during imprisonment may/could be unfair, Doesn’t mean they don’t think the crime happened.

So as much as it may be a political dog and pony show for them, same for our side. Sounds like nobody is arguing she was carrying illegal drugs through an airport which can carry a 10 year sentence. What a dummy. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/brittney-griner-was-wrongfully-detained-what-happens-now/ar-AAWYNT7

9 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Switch out "obese" with "ancient" and "McDonald's" with "Ben abd Jerry's", and you would be talking about our current commander in chief. 

This.  Joke didn't serve in the military either, did he?