What changes will Ken Dorsey bring to the Bills offense?

Logic

I posted this in another thread and then thought, what the heck, it probably deserves its own thread.  I'm hoping anybody who has done some digging of their own into Ken Dorsey's past as a player and coach can bring some knowledge to this, as well. Let's try to piece together what changes might be coming to the Bills offense.

I’ve been attempting to research Ken Dorsey’s background to see what he might bring to the Bills offense.

The thing that stands out to me is that he played his historic college career under Rob Chudzinski. He also coached under Chudzinski in Carolina. While I certainly don't expect him to import the 2001-2002 Miami U offense (a now-outdated pro style offense), I do think that seeing who Dorsey learned under as a college player and young coach could be informative.

When you look into the coaching history of Rob Chudzinski, you see lots of buzzwords that don't tell you much. "Multiple", "attacking", "tempo". Right. That's what they ALL say. One consistent thing about Chudzinski, though, is that he always leaned heavily on tight ends. From Shockey and Winslow at the U to Greg Olsen in Carolina, to attempting to make Colby Fleener and Dwayne Allen the focal points of the offense in Indy, there has always been heavy emphasis on tight end usage and, when personnel warranted, two tight end sets as a major part of the offense.

Given Knox’s breakout season and the Bills' reported interest in Gronkowski (and maybe Rudolph), I expect Dorsey to feature the tight end more, and I expect more two tight end sets, particularly with a second tight end who is actually a threat, not just a Tommy Sweeney like afterthought. Health permitting, expect Knox to have an all-world season. Expect whoever is the Bills TE2 to have a significant role, as well. This may also eat into the targets to the slot WR, so Beasley/McKenzie/whomever may see less looks.

I expect Dorsey to keep a lot of things the same for Josh, and given that the Bills already have a good offense, I don't think he'll radically change it. A decrease in the number 10 and 11 personnel in favor of more 12 personnel, though, is one change that I DO expect. It is also a change which may give a boost to both the running game and the pass protection, and may allow Allen more time and set up more deep play-action shots to Diggs, Davis, and hopefully a draftee or two.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do so, but this is the best I've been able to figure so far.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

A further look into Chudzinski's offenses at the U and in his time with the Panthers show a strong preference for an aggressive downfield passing attack set up by a strong running game. Newton's two highest Y/A seasons came in his first two years, when Chudzinski had him firing the ball down field with great frequency. 

Given that Josh Allen finished 2021 as the NFL's most accurate deep ball passer, perhaps Dorsey has downfield passing on the mind.

• Like (+1) 3

Being that he has never been in the "Captain's Chair" of the offense it's really anybodies guess at this point what this own philosophies are. 

I'm sure he's picked up a few things here and there from past OCs he's played and worked under. How much and what is unknown. He may think you need waterbug at RB. 

I think the biggest question I have is in how well he can adjust what his likes and philosophies are to the personal Beane gets for him and how well he can identify and expound on what is working. 

I said in another thread I fully expect the 1st half of the season for the offense to be a bit off. Between the new adjustments on the system that will come, the lack of playcalling experience and almost certainly a few new players and coaches in that side of the ball...it's almost unavoidable IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Has Dorsey’s past ever had a JA17 in it? Impossible to predict what he might do. With JA17 anything is possible 

I'd say it's TOUGH to predict what he might do, but I don't agree that it's impossible, or not worth trying.

Everybody has preferences and tendencies. Everyone. 

With a guy who's never been an OC before, it's a bit tougher to guess, but that's what this thread is about.

Adding Gronk, getting rid of Gilliam and any fullback would make me happy. A two TE set with two guys that are at least capable blockers and can win one on one matchups in the pass game is lethal to defend. It forces the defense to choose play base defense or nickel. Then the offense can react with runs against a softer front or attacking the base defense with multiple receiving threats. 

Gronk or another credible TE #2 wpuld transform this offense. 

If they don't land a good second TE option, then I hope it is more of the same. 3 or 4 WR sets with Knox rarely leaving the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why would anyone assume they would bring back an outdated offense when his latest experience was under Daboll and one of the best offenses in the NFL?

Like he will ignore what Daboll did and being back something that is outdated? Like c'mon man...do we really not have anything else to do these days?

• Haha (+1) 1

Little to none. This is more Allen's offense than it is Dorsey's. Just as the Pats*** offense was Brady's more than it was any of the string of OCs he had in NE***. Just as offenses belong to any of the handful of top QBs, like Rodgers for example. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why would anyone assume they would bring back an outdated offense when his latest experience was under Daboll and one of the best offenses in the NFL?

Like he will ignore what Daboll did and being back something that is outdated? Like c'mon man...do we really not have anything else to do these days?

1.) No one suggested he'd bring back an outdated offense. Simply suggesting greater usage of tight ends and two-TE sets does not indicate an abandonment of Daboll's offense or a return to outdated modes of attack.

2.) This is a Bills message board, where people come to discuss the Bills. No football is being played right now. No players are being signed or drafted right now. The topic of what changes a new offensive coordinator might bring is relevant, timely, and was initiated during a relatively slow period of discussion for this forum.

3.) You're welcome to just...NOT REPLY to topics that don't interest you. I'm gonna keep posting about things that interest me. No one elected you "president of what's reasonable to talk about".

4.) Go make some pancakes or take a bike ride. You seem grumpy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m hoping for fewer designed runs for Josh. It’s great when it works….until…..ya know….I can’t even think about it!  😱

Let’s have a more traditional running game, for the most part. 

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

4.) Go make some pancakes or take a bike ride. You seem grumpy.

Maybe a Snickers bar would help?  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

55 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Has Dorsey’s past ever had a JA17 in it? Impossible to predict what he might do. With JA17 anything is possible 

Imo, not so, a coach goes to what he has learned and knows, that and they are keeping the EP scheme and language and the plays Josh likes,  per what has been stated,  with some new wrinkles, all of which is to be expected. With the addition of OLC Kromer we will see a more well rounded multi dimensional offense. Over all the above posts pretty much summarize what we are likely see from the new OC, again my opinion. 

Go Bills!!!

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You seemed to miss the OPs points, a re-read is in order…, 

51 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ya didn't read the OP, didya?

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.4abbb54efd789e6bb35171fec34c2835.png

Exactly, you are in the know dude, 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

A further look into Chudzinski's offenses at the U and in his time with the Panthers show a strong preference for an aggressive downfield passing attack set up by a strong running game. Newton's two highest Y/A seasons came in his first two years, when Chudzinski had him firing the ball down field with great frequency. 

Given that Josh Allen finished 2021 as the NFL's most accurate deep ball passer, perhaps Dorsey has downfield passing on the mind.

Not so sure about "aggressive downfield passing" at the U--especially for 2001 (their Championship year).  Dorsey was out of the top 25 in passing yards and out of the top 15 in TDs.  They ran the ball (Portis, McGahee).  Newton had his best all around year as a passer in 2015, under Shula. 

Without a running game, I'm sure Dorsey has a downfield passing game in mind in Buffalo.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.