Rumor- Harrison Phillips not coming back

wiseman3

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO, they now have to change their "we need to be 2 deep with vets" at every position mentality with regards to contracts and instead focus available assets on protecting Josh Allen and making him look good............and get better at developing some of the positions they've been overpaying for depth at.    

If Denver were to come to Beane tomorrow and offer their two second rounders(40 and 64) and a 4th in exchange for #25 overall............so they had an extra 1st to deal to GB...........then I would say they should probably take it.     They need talent on rookie contracts.

I completely agree. They are at the point where Brandon is going to have to be willing to sacrifice depth for star power. Having AJ Klein and Jon Feliciano and Cord Ford and even Tyler Matakevich (who is genuinely a really good STer) coming in at $16m on your cap when none of them start on offense or defense is a luxury that having paid a Quarterback you have to learn to live without. Or else you end up with lots of guys but not many guys

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I completely agree. They are at the point where Brandon is going to have to be willing to sacrifice depth for star power. Having AJ Klein and Jon Feliciano and Cord Ford and even Tyler Matakevich (who is genuinely a really good STer) coming in at $16m on your cap when none of them start on offense or defense is a luxury that having paid a Quarterback you have to learn to live without. Or else you end up with lots of guys but not many guys

Tyler is a starter...special teams are important. May I remind you...Music City Debacle.

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

Tyler is a starter...special teams are important. May I remind you...Music City Debacle.

Hey you don't need to preach to me that STs are important, I am the captain of that ship. But $3.25m cap hit for a STer who is neither a returner or a gunner is exactly the sort of luxury depth you have when you have a QB on a rookie deal. If Matakevich was due to account for $2m on the cap this year it is a no brainer you keep him, but that is a big number for a non-gunner, non-returner on a team paying their franchise QB.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hey you don't need to preach to me that STs are important, I am the captain of that ship. But $3.25m cap hit for a STer who is neither a returner or a gunner is exactly the sort of luxury depth you have when you have a QB on a rookie deal. If Matakevich was due to account for $2m on the cap this year it is a no brainer you keep him, but that is a big number for a non-gunner, non-returner on a team paying their franchise QB.

Who needs STs anyway?  Just have Bass and Araiza boot TBs everytime...

It's a 50/50 shot that you are right.  I don't get the feeling he would turn away from a super bowl contending football team unless the Bills don't want him back which I don't see either.  I do find it interesting the Bills haven't restructured any contracts yet.  Maybe there aren't many inevitable contracts to outgoing free agents

On 3/5/2022 at 11:29 PM, wiseman3 said:

Lol yeah like I said I don't expect anyone to believe me. But sounds like he'll be accepting another offer

He's not even allowed to have other offers yet. Why would he say he's taking another one when he doesn't know the market?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO, they now have to change their "we need to be 2 deep with vets" at every position mentality with regards to contracts and instead focus available assets on protecting Josh Allen and making him look good............and get better at developing some of the positions they've been overpaying for depth at.    

If Denver were to come to Beane tomorrow and offer their two second rounders(40 and 64) and a 4th in exchange for #25 overall............so they had an extra 1st to deal to GB...........then I would say they should probably take it.     They need talent on rookie contracts.

Yep...They won't do that of course...But I agree...B-)

• Like (+1) 1

If true I have zero issues with this for a number of reasons.

He's a great guy in terms of his off the field contributions and he defied the odds this year being a bubble guy that was inactive most the first half of the season to emerging as a key piece for this defense down the stretch.

But at the end of the day he's not worth the money that he probably can get on the open market which is why this is likely a valid rumor and still think we need a more dominant presence at DT next to Oliver.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If true I have zero issues with this for a number of reasons.

He's a great guy in terms of his off the field contributions and he defied the odds this year being a bubble guy that was inactive most the first half of the season to emerging as a key piece for this defense down the stretch.

But at the end of the day he's not worth the money that he probably can get on the open market which is why this is likely a valid rumor and still think we need a more dominant presence at DT next to Oliver.

You're still planning on losing your house when McDermott doesn't get fired next year, right?

If they can bring him back on a 4-5 million dollar deal I think that works good for both side. June 1st cut Star to make the space. I would rather have H.Phillips an in his prime player who is coming off a fairly good season than Star who is a veteran who while decent is massively overpaid. Just my two cents. Also rumors are just rumors from McDouchebag2k22 not really worth much. 

On 3/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, Kwai San said:

21 whopping posts and you say THAT???  Methinks there is more to you than what you are letting on to.

Anyone else notice that after the initial LAMP and one follow up post by @wiseman3 he disappeared and now we have @BILLieve85 with 21 posts backing up this nonsense???

Mods???

Lol, I can assure you I am not trolling or just doing this to get a reaction. You'll all owe me some wings when this happens! I don't know why people don't think this is believable...Alcohol is a hell of a drug when it comes to spilling secrets. And you'd have to be crazy to think that just because its not in the tampering window yet, that people aren't unofficially contacting each other.  If I'm wrong, make fun of me all you want. I can handle it! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If they can bring him back on a 4-5 million dollar deal I think that works good for both side. June 1st cut Star to make the space. I would rather have H.Phillips an in his prime player who is coming off a fairly good season than Star who is a veteran who while decent is massively overpaid. Just my two cents. Also rumors are just rumors from McDouchebag2k22 not really worth much. 

But June firsting Star doesn't give us the savings until June 1st. We would need to do something earlier.

27 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

Lol, I can assure you I am not trolling or just doing this to get a reaction. You'll all owe me some wings when this happens! I don't know why people don't think this is believable...Alcohol is a hell of a drug when it comes to spilling secrets. And you'd have to be crazy to think that just because its not in the tampering window yet, that people aren't unofficially contacting each other.  If I'm wrong, make fun of me all you want. I can handle it! 😂

Bulls#it. This might very well happen despite you completely making up a story. 

I know this has turned into a discussion about Harry staying/ leaving.  But the real issue here is your completely unbelievable post, IMO

30 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

I believe you, dude.  Who decides to troll a message board by dishing secrets on Harry Phillips?  That's not a real "move the needle" player if you want to get a rise out of the fanbase.  Anyhow, hope it doesn't come to fruition, since he was becoming more of an impact player.

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought you could designate someone a June 1st cut earlier in the off-season?

You can. Doing so allows the team to cut the player early on to avoid paying roster bonuses, etc. but still give the team the benefit of being able to spread to prorated signing bonus (dead cap) into the next year as though the cut was made after June 1st. The catch is, that prorated roster bonus still counts against the cap until June 1st when it is then divided between this year and next.

So basically its-

1- cut the player early, like in March, and save on his roster bonuses, etc. and also -

2- Designate him a June 1st cut and push some of the dead cap into the next year, just as would normally be done if the player was cut after June 1st, but-

3- You still have to carry all of the dead cap until June 1st actually rolls around.

The June 1st designation has its place, but it's useless as a form of creating cap space at the start of the league year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.