How much $ is Trubusky going to sign for in FA?

Estro

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Trubisky in Pittsburgh is an ideal fit. I don’t get why he would go to NYG, where I think Jones would still be the presumptive starter.

I agree although he doesn't have a lot of talent to throw to behind an ok line. I could see him taking a lot of sacks next year if he's a Steeler. 

4 hours ago, Magox said:

He will be in high demand, the QB class is weak this year which puts an added premium with FA QB’s and Trubisky is viewed as one of the more attractive options.  He will probably get a deal around the $15m a year with escalators to have it go up to as high of around $18m depending on performance.

Lots of upside, mobile, good arm, young with starting and playoff experience.  I would suspect that a year sitting with Daboll and Allen did him good.

A season where he produced nearly no gametape  certainly did him good.  Keeps teams guessing.  Better to show them nothing than to remind them why you washed out as a starter.

He way overdrafted...leading to a predictable disaster.

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He somehow made people forget his tape from the previous season and watched from afar while his former coach was proven inept and consequently fired. He also played on a team with the best-development story at QB in a long time, possibly ever. He was a the top QB pick in a strong QB draft for something that Chicago saw, and teams in need of a QB see a young, athletic, strong-armed, intelligent and team-first player with upside. He’ll get paid north of $10million annually and there are sufficient signs pointing to that being a possible strong value for the right team.

Yeah, any team could have picked him up for peanuts on a multi-year deal last season.  Not one did.  Now he's going to get 14-15 million a year after adding nothing at all to his resume to entice a GM?

Doesn't make sense.  Dalton is exactly why he won't get that money.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Will the Bills get a comp pick?

SOP is those go to the pats,

Trubisky and his agent played the market perfectly. Guys like Darnold and Bridgewater and Winston and Wentz hurt their future stock by playing last year. As their stock drops, Trubisky suddenly looks more appealing simply because his bad play is further in the rearview mirror. Not playing at all likely ended up earning him more in the long run than if he had latched on to a bad team for a slightly better contract last year. If he gets a larger than expected contract this year it might change the way cast off QBs handle their 2nd opportunity.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Trubisky and his agent played the market perfectly. Guys like Darnold and Bridgewater and Winston and Wentz hurt their future stock by playing last year. As their stock drops, Trubisky suddenly looks more appealing simply because his bad play is further in the rearview mirror. Not playing at all likely ended up earning him more in the long run than if he had latched on to a bad team for a slightly better contract last year. If he gets a larger than expected contract this year it might change the way cast off QBs handle their 2nd opportunity.

Yup, and Nagy gets exposed.

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

I agree although he doesn't have a lot of talent to throw to behind an ok line. I could see him taking a lot of sacks next year if he's a Steeler. 

true.   PIT would need to bolster its OL anyway for Harris and whoever the QB is, and this frees it up to use its top pick on one.  That's his best fit, IMO, unless something crazy happens in AZ or Rodgers is traded.  

Honestly, if he isn’t brought in as an unquestionable starter, probably 5-10 and a year (possibly a second year higher rated but non guaranteed in case he becomes a starter

if he is an unquestioned starter the rate will be much higher but again with pain free outs the whole way. This situation feels unlikely 

a guy like taysom hill is an interesting blue print for young guys that haven’t proven themselves… that contract looks huge but amounts to we want you to be a starting qb here long term but if you’re not, you’re free to find a new home 

Edited by NoSaint

Trubisky has Giants written all over him. Schoen and Daboll know him. They also declined to pick up the option on Jones so that says  they aren't completely sold on him as the future going forward. This year is a make or break year for him. Trubisky probably sees the Giants as an opportunity to win the starters job. 

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Trubisky has Giants written all over him. Schoen and Daboll know him. They also declined to pick up the option on Jones so that says  they aren't completely sold on him as the future going forward. This year is a make or break year for him. Trubisky probably sees the Giants as an opportunity to win the starters job. 

They might want him as a cheap backup (again, and who wouldn't?), but paying having him good money to start over Jones defeats the purpose of hiring Daboll.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They might want him as a cheap backup (again, and who wouldn't?), but paying having him good money to start over Jones defeats the purpose of hiring Daboll.

What if he signs cheap but wins the starters job? The Giants declined to pick up the option on Jones so you know Schoen and Daboll aren't sold on him.

Just now, Greg S said:

What if he signs cheap but wins the starters job? The Giants declined to pick up the option on Jones so you know Schoen and Daboll aren't sold on him.

I think he'll have better offers than a(nother) cheap deal.  

22 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I just think surely the Giants are using this year to evaluate Jones? I think it would be muddled thinking to use this year with a QB battle raging between two guys who fall in the good enough until they need to be good enough bucket. 

Just now, Doc said:

I think he'll have better offers than a(nother) cheap deal.  

Good point. The Steelers are another example of a team that could show interest in him. I do think the Giants will make him an offer though.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I just think surely the Giants are using this year to evaluate Jones? I think it would be muddled thinking to use this year with a QB battle raging between two guys who fall in the good enough until they need to be good enough bucket. 

All the more reason to bring in some competition for Jones. He needs to be pushed and face some pressure to win the job. From what I have seen of him is he isn't great but he hasn't been awful either. It also doesn't help that the Giants OL is garbage.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Good point. The Steelers are another example of a team that could show interest in him. I do think the Giants will make him an offer though.

I'm sure they will.  As will the Bills.  But the Steelers make a lot of sense.  They have no one to groom presently.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

I'm sure they will.  As will the Bills.  But the Steelers make a lot of sense.  They have no one to groom presently.

I don't know what their Cap situation is but the Steelers may try to hit a HR and go for Rodgers( if he leaves GB) or Wilson. They get a good QB then they are a threat in the AFC again.

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I don't know what their Cap situation is but the Steelers may try to hit a HR and go for Rodgers( if he leaves GB) or Wilson. They get a good QB then they are a threat in the AFC again.

Wilson said he doesn't want to leave the West Coast.  As for Rodgers, he's looking for $50M/year.  Good luck with that Steelers.

I would bet somebody is going to slap down about 15M, it’s not a great QB market, and a lot of teams need one.  For all the money guys like Bridgewater etc have gotten, I would think a guy who looked pretty good in Chi for a few years and the mess Chi proved they created last year along with him looking good in preseason and an expert at kneel downs, he should get a decent deal.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.