Jordan Davis is unreal

Buffalo_Stampede

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently the issue is that he’s fluctuated from 340 to 380 and hadn’t sustained a particular weight. Not a surprise he came in “light” to the combine. He can still move fast at his playing weight so it wouldn’t matter to me if he was 360 but just a matter of whether he can and wants to manage the position and weight expectations of the team that takes him. 

That's really where we have an advantage now as opposed to the drought years, there is an expectation to win now. There will be pressure from the other players on him, and I for one am glad that he was able to drop some weight because it would tell me if he's focused he can get it done. So as a coach I'm having the captains of the team demand excellence from him. I think he can add a dimension to this defense and will be someone who makes the players around him better, assuming he wants to put the work in. I especially like the idea of him batting balls down, it will be tough for any qb to throw over him.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He may be wrong, he’s basing it off film. he didn’t compare him to Dareus though. Not sure where that comes in?  But again, if the film shows otherwise then he won’t be there at 25 anyway. 

Joe hinted that Davis has a sweet tooth and has had weight issues. I am connected some dots between and unmotivated guy like Dareus turned out to be and someone not keeping weight down. When I listen to Davis and talk with guys who know the program, Davis is a high character guy. I think he can do anything asked if him, and will.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dareus was considered an inspirational story of overcoming hardship coming out of Alabama.    There was no evidence of any potential motivation issues with him whatsoever.    And of course he was a much, much greater prospect than Davis......which is why he went high in a loaded top 10.   Dareus was a play maker not just a big body who made no plays but showed lots of track speed.

We know you are a Georgia fan and they have a bunch of great athletes in this draft but you are showing your lack of overall perspective here.

Time will tell. You are right, I am a UGA fan, the team that just won the NC with epic defensive play. Dareus always struck me as a guy who was talented but never loved football. I don’t think that’s the case with Davis. You have gone on the record with your takes as well, both yours and mine are opinions. Enjoy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently the issue is that he’s fluctuated from 340 to 380 and hadn’t sustained a particular weight. Not a surprise he came in “light” to the combine. He can still move fast at his playing weight so it wouldn’t matter to me if he was 360 but just a matter of whether he can and wants to manage the position and weight expectations of the team that takes him. 

I would be the worst coach of all time for Davis...

340? What are you sick or something and not eating? Here's a list of the best restaurants in WNY. You put in the work and come to camp ready to be my 1T DT!  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Joe hinted that Davis has a sweet tooth and has had weight issues. I am connected some dots between and unmotivated guy like Dareus turned out to be and someone not keeping weight down. When I listen to Davis and talk with guys who know the program, Davis is a high character guy. I think he can do anything asked if him, and will.

Time will tell. You are right, I am a UGA fan, the team that just won the NC with epic defensive play. Dareus always struck me as a guy who was talented but never loved football. I don’t think that’s the case with Davis. You have gone on the record with your takes as well, both yours and mine are opinions. Enjoy. 

Well leading up to that draft Dareus was just a fun-loving dude from maybe the worst hardship case we'd ever heard of for such a highly regarded prospect and he not only played for for a NC he had the play of the game.........a pick 6 on Colt McCoy in that game.     His Q rating was high and he immediately became a favorite with Bills fans as "Mr. Big Stuff".   So not sure where the "always" part was but if you felt that way without any evidence then you are quite the cynic(or as a Dogs fan, just a hater).

I try not to put too much stock in what the kids say in the draft process but Jordan Davis' "this isn't the end" takes after his on field workouts at the combine are the kind of things that people with nearby finish lines say.    If you are planning to have a long NFL career and have lot's of success then you might not be noting that it's not the end when it hasn't even started yet. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would be the worst coach of all time for Davis...

340? What are you sick or something and not eating? Here's a list of the best restaurants in WNY. You put in the work and come to camp ready to be my 1T DT!  

Weight isn’t the issue for me. It’s stamina vs speed, offenses that will spread out to make him a non factor. Etc. McDermott likes to rotate DL so I don’t really mind that he hasn’t shown he can play a lot of snaps. We can only go on his past performance at this point though, I feel like other prospects have better film at the position. But he’s intriguing for sure. 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:49 PM, cale said:

Agreed. Draft this kid and move him all over line. I like him better than Davis. Davis will have a great career. But Wyatt is more versatile.

Billsy. Keep putting 3 techs at nose and wonder why we get bulldozed by good running teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 3/5/2022 at 2:25 PM, HappyDays said:

Sweet. Hopefully another team above us in the 1st round gets bamboozled by his athletic traits and a more valuable player falls to us as a result.

Yep, Jordan Davis is a bust waiting to happen. He was a four-year starter at UGA, over which time he generated a grand total of 7 sacks and 31 solo tackles.  He’s a guy who’s struggled with his weight and probably doesn’t love football.  I can’t wait to see which team wastes a first round pick on this combine warrior…I just hope it’s not the Bills.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/7/2022 at 7:03 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I heard that on LockedOn too. Listen to Davis during interviews and tell me what about that guys personality says he won’t do everything he is asked. Comparing him to Darrius is ignorant. Davis is a great guy, teammates love him, and he has speed, agility, and size. I can remember when those where all things you wanted from an interior dline. I respect the heck out of Joe, but think he might be wrong on this one. Like Joe said “you aren’t scouting, if you don’t miss on a player e v a l.”. 

Davis had 7 sacks in four full seasons as a starter at UGA, and that includes plenty of games against teams like Valdosta State and Furman.  There is zero reason to think he’s going to become a guy who affects the passer in the NFL…there’s a much better chance that he becomes a guy who eats himself out of the league in a few years. Hard pass.

• Disagree 1

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

Davis had 7 sacks in four full seasons as a starter at UGA, and that includes plenty of games against teams like Valdosta State and Furman.  There is zero reason to think he’s going to become a guy who affects the passer in the NFL…there’s a much better chance that he becomes a guy who eats himself out of the league in a few years. Hard pass.

The weirdest thing about him is that with his physical abilities there’s no reason he shouldn’t have been affecting the passing game.  I get why people get excited about him when they think of what he could become, but what percentage do you give that?  I don’t think he makes it to 25, but he seems like the kind of prospect the Bills would draft there if he is. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all in - good with moving up to get him.  If he's there at 15-20 and we have to trade up, I'm doing it.  Flip the 25th and - a 2nd rounder next year? to get to 15?  Idk but it won't cost another 1st.  I've cooled on moving firsts bc of the Cap. 

But haven't I been the guy pounding the table to move up for a CB?  I'm good with that - its not that I'm against the idea.  But does the CB do anything to help stop Chubb, Taylor, Ekeler, Williams in Denver, Henry, Mixon, Carter, Stevenson, Harris and Mostart in Miami where they are sure to run it 50% of the time, Najee, Dobbins, CEH...... this should be a priority to despite it being 2022.  Disagree all you want.  It's advantage you when you can completely stop a run game with just your front 6.  

I think the changes and additions up front help against the pass.  But still concerned about the run.  So if you can add a guy in the middle that's our Vita Vea (11 sacks in 4 years btw for those worried about Davis sack totals).......that can completely neutralize the run game you do it.  Again, not against drafting the 5th corner on the board - White was the 5th CB in 2017. 

Just very intrigued with what Davis can do for this D.  It starts with Oliver not being double teamed anywhere near as much.  Imagine what that alone does for the defense?

Which would look like this down the middle:

Davis/Oliver

Edmonds/Milano

Poyer/Hyde 

That's an immediate Round 1 game changing impact player that will play and impact the game - not be behind Diggs and Davis.  Which, I'm also not against a WR btw.  I think I'm just comfortable with being able to find one in RD2.  Watson and others will be in the 45-60 range.

Sign a CB and still draft one...or 2.  And a Safety.   

Pray for White to be 100%.    

Book hotels in Vegas.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm all in.  If he's there at 15-20 and we have to trade up, I'm doing it.  Flip the 25th and - a 2nd rounder next year? to get to 15?  Idk but it won't cost another 1st.  I've cooled on moving firsts bc of the Cap. 

do for this D.  It starts with Oliver not being double teamed anywhere near as much.  Imagine what that alone does for the defense?

Book hotels in Vegas.  

I'm not trading up in the first round for a one trick pony after beefing up the interior with Jones and Settle.  I worry about his work ethic as his weight in college constantly fluctuated.  If he's there at 25 then I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills selecting him but trading up for him is dumb.  The Super Bowl is in Arizona btw.  

Edited by Doc Brown

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not trading up in the first round for a one trick pony after beefing up the interior with Jones and Settle.  I worry about his work ethic as his weight in college constantly fluctuated.  If he's there at 25 then I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills selecting him but trading up for him is dumb.  The Super Bowl is in Arizona btw.  

I don't understand this one trick pony stuff.  That one trick completely negates the running game if he's elite at what he does.  I think he is.  Isn't Vea a one trick pony?  

If Davis is available at pick 15 or 16 and we can swap I'd do it. 

However - If we're able to pull that off without it costing a first, and the WR we love is there......fine, take him.  My WRs would be London, Wilson, or Williams but I think they'll be gone.  So I'd wait on one.  I'd then take Davis.  

The Chargers 17, Steelers, 20, and Patriots 21, won't trade with us.  The options are really the Eagles and Saints picks (15, 16, 18, 19) if we hope to move up and it not cost us a 2023 first.   That's Davis territory - but I think the Chargers would take him at 17 so all this would be moot.  

I wouldn't trade more then a 3rd....2nd at most in 2023 if that gets it done only to move into the 15 to 20 range.  If we're moving in to the top 15 that's going to cost a 2023 1st and I'm only doing that for a WR.  Again I've cooled on this.   

And my top CBs will be gone..

Sauce - top 5-7

Stingley - Jets

McDuffie - Seattle 

Booth - anywhere between 10 and 24 maybe top 15-17?  Chargers?  

If Davis is the real deal this defense shoots to a whole other level.  Elam or Booth (who I do like), I'm not sure do that 

Secondary obviously crucial.  But elite trench play changes games.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I don't understand this one trick pony stuff.  That one trick completely negates the running game if he's elite at what he does.  I think he is.  Isn't Vea a one trick pony?  

However - If we're able to pull that off without it costing a first, and the WR we love is there......fine, take him.  My WRs would be London, Wilson, or Williams but I think they'll be gone.  So I'd wait on one.  I'd then take Davis.  

The Chargers 17, Steelers, 20, and Patriots 21, won't trade with us.  The options are really the Eagles and Saints picks (15, 16, 18, 19) if we hope to move up and it not cost us a 2023 first.   That's Davis territory - but I think the Chargers would take him at 17 so all this would be moot.  

I wouldn't trade more then a 3rd....2nd at most in 2023 if that gets it done only to move into the 15 to 20 range.  If we're moving in to the top 15 that's going to cost a 2023 1st and I'm only doing that for a WR.  Again I've cooled on this.   

Sauce - top 5-7

Stingley - Jets

McDuffie - Seattle 

If Davis is the real deal this defense shoots to a whole other level.  Elam or Booth (who I do like), I'm not sure do that 

Fortunately, there is near zero chance of Beane using a first round pick on a two-down defensive tackle…no comparison between Davis and Vita Vea…

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Sauce - top 5-7

Stingley - Jets

McDuffie - Seattle 

Our last 2 2nds and 1st round pick are all defensive linemen.  Oliver in 2019.  We signed Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Tim Settle, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson etc.  

Seems reckless - especially with a corner we aren't 100% will be available right away, and a 3rd year guy opposite him.  We also have like 0 offensive line depth - and I'm not really certain outside of 3 of them that we even have a particularly strong top 5.  Could probably use a WR.  Edmunds is on a 5th year option.  

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Our last 2 2nds and 1st round pick are all defensive linemen.  Oliver in 2019.  We signed Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Tim Settle, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson etc.  

Seems reckless - especially with a corner we aren't 100% will be available right away, and a 3rd year guy opposite him.  We also have like 0 offensive line depth - and I'm not really certain outside of 3 of them that we even have a particularly strong top 5.  Could probably use a WR.  Edmunds is on a 5th year option.  

How many of those DTs will be on the team in 2024?  Or even 2023

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

How many of those DTs will be on the team in 2024?  Or even 2023

Who cares?  We're trying to win a super bowl in 2022.  3 firsts and 2 2nds in a 4 year period - while also signing von miller?  Who would we even cut? 

Oliver is on a rookie deal so costs the same to cut as keep - not that we would cut him

Daquan jones would be a 10M dead cap hit vs 3.58 cap hit to keep him

Jordan Phillips would be a 4.25M dead cap hit vs a 3.5 cap hit to keep him

Settle would be a 5M dead cap hit vs 2.675 cap hit to keep him

So you lose cap space whomever you get rid of... and you also acquire cap hit for davis.  And I'm not sure he's better today, than any of them.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.