Let's see how this works - Brian Griese leaving ESPN to become 49ers QB Coach

Draconator

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33423873/brian-griese-become-san-francisco-49ers-quarterbacks-coach

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- As it turns out, the San Francisco 49ers will have some movement involving a key role on their staff and the NFL broadcast booth after all.

After general manager John Lynch acknowledged earlier this week that he declined an opportunity to return to broadcasting, the Niners decided to hire Brian Griese as their next quarterbacks coach, sources told ESPN's Seth Wickersham and Adam Schefter on Friday. Griese had served as one of the color analysts on ESPN's Monday Night Football since 2020.

Griese replaces Rich Scangarello, who left the team to become the offensive coordinator at Kentucky last month, a move that came as a bit of a surprise to the Niners.

• Like (+1) 1

And Booger McFarland to be offensive sideline cart quality control coach

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The odd part to me is that I would think that ESPN is paying much more than a QB coach makes, must be looking for something different.

That whole crew is being replaced. They better all be looking for work. At least it seems Brian landed on his feet. For now anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was surprised to read Griese was in the league for 10 years.  I didn't think it was that long.   He had a lot of exposure to the game and what QB coaches do - or did back then.  

But he was never a coach before and has been out of the league for 14 years now.  I wonder how much he remembers and how much he understands about modern QB coaching methodology, current offense and defensive schemes, and all that.  It seems like it'll be a steep learning curve.  

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was surprised to read Griese was in the league for 10 years.  I didn't think it was that long.   He had a lot of exposure to the game and what QB coaches do - or did back then.  

But he was never a coach before and has been out of the league for 14 years now.  I wonder how much he remembers and how much he understands about modern QB coaching methodology, current offense and defensive schemes, and all that.  It seems like it'll be a steep learning curve.  

This.  But not my team so...

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like a Raiders type of hire, he’ll be fired in a year or two.

13 hours ago, stevewin said:

And Booger McFarland to be offensive sideline cart quality control coach

So well played!!  I had a great laugh!  Thank you!

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The odd part to me is that I would think that ESPN is paying much more than a QB coach makes, must be looking for something different.

I would think so too.  It must be a passion opportunity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.