Which WR do you think the Bills will draft?

Milanos Milano

Which WR do you think will be a Bill?   

153 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the WR you think the Bills will draft.

• Jameson Williams
    • Chris Olave
    • Garrett Wilson
    • Treylon Burks
    • Drake London
    • Jahan Dotson
    • Christian Watson
    • Calvin Austin III
    • Wan’Dale Robinson
    • Khalil Shakir
    • Skyy Moore
    • Alec Pierce
    • Justyn Ross
    • Other

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Didn’t Dotson run mid 4.4s?  That is PLENTY fast and he has outstanding hands as well.  Still, a little on the small side.  He looks like a potentially great slot - now do you draft a slot in round 1 - even late round 1?

My feelings as well. Jameson in rd1 or Jahan after rd 1.

Factoring in what I think the Bills covet in a WR prospect coupled with who I think has a real chance to be available @ #25:

Jahan Dotson

Tough, great hands, separates and can play all over the formation. What will be interesting would be if both Jameson Williams & Dotson were both available @ #25 I'd be curious who the Bills would prefer.

I will say I don't think Drake London is a prospect the Bills would be interested in and I think hus hype in the media is a lot different than what happens on draft day. Slow WRs that can't separate aren't guys I want in the 1st round.

A mid round pick I like later on is UCLA, WR, Kyle Phillips.

Another mid/late round pick I like as a speed merchant is Danny Gray, WR, SMU. Guy can fly.

Much like the Gabe Davis draft year it appears WR is so deep it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills waited until round 3 or 4 on a WR. This would give them the opportunity to fill some other needs like DL, CB & OL with their premium picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not the first, Michael Thomas did it too. Raw is one word I would not use to describe Wilson. He’s been making big plays since a true freshman. He was the best football player at Ohio state this year. 

He’s not a very polished WR, hence my usage of the work raw.  Maybe raw is the wrong word?  I see an NFL slot guy atm, that, with more polish, can become a better outside guy.  Super athletic and has great instincts in making people moss and positioning.  He’s a playmaker and could be a great weapon.  Kind of reminds me of Curtis Samuel. 

27 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Didn’t Dotson run mid 4.4s?  That is PLENTY fast and he has outstanding hands as well.  Still, a little on the small side.  He looks like a potentially great slot - now do you draft a slot in round 1 - even late round 1?

I thought he’d be a low to mid 4.3 guy.  He reportedly ran 4.33 last year. For a guy his size and stature, I was hoping for faster.  Dunno if I’d be happy with him in rd 1

i think he can play outside.  Just not sure how he holds up

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s not a very polished WR, hence my usage of the work raw.  Maybe raw is the wrong word?  I see an NFL slot guy atm, that, with more polish, can become a better outside guy.  Super athletic and has great instincts in making people moss and positioning.  He’s a playmaker and could be a great weapon.  Kind of reminds me of Curtis Samuel. 

I thought he’d be a low to mid 4.3 guy.  He reportedly ran 4.33 last year. For a guy his size and stature, I was hoping for faster.  Dunno if I’d be happy with him in rd 1

I think the difference between low 4.4s and mid4.3s is inconsequential except in very rare instances during actual game play.  

I just listened to a PFF podcast from a couple days ago about the draft as a whole with guests Jon Ledyard and Dane Brugler. Consensus seems to be that the class is incredibly deep with what will ultimately be really good number 2 NFL WRs and there are no truly alpha number 1s like in previous years.

This bodes well for Buffalo. I never know much about college players until the season ends and I start getting interested in the draft, but I voted Jameson Williams. Part of me voting for him is the fact that now that we've given Beasley permission to seek a trade I believe we'll try to ink li'l dirty to a multi-year deal to take Cole's place more permanently. And that might be more hope than anything on my part.

Regardless, if we do that I think this team has 4 WR slots on the roster established (Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, & Stevenson who I think becomes our primary returner to take the load off our now permanent slot) and we'll probably bring in a middle of the road vet FA to compete with the younger guys on our roster like Hodgins for a 5th spot. Sanders said if he comes back to play it will be with Josh Allen so we can't rule him out for the 5th spot, either. Plus we can't rule out bringing Kumerow back for the important added Special Team's value.

All of that could set up a virtual redshirt year for a guy who might've been the #1 WR in this class if not for his injury.

If Davis plays well this season hopefully we can get him signed to a long term deal and then Buffalo is set up with a WR corps of Diggs, Davis, Williams and McKenzie through the 2025 season.

That's a lot of projecting and a lot of hope, but I think that's the ideal plan. However, 2 big questions:

1) Do we actually resign McKenzie? Maybe more importantly, does his love for Josh Allen (clearly there) outweigh his friction with Sean McDermott (clearly there)?

2) Are we targeting our CB2 in FA or the draft?

I do believe round 1 is either CB or WR. 

If McKenzie isn't back... gonna need a fast and versatile slot guy who can play this season... might have to wait til round 2 to draft him.  Who is that? Anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think the Bills will take Jordan Davis. Does not fit their profile at 1 tech, weight management and conditioning issues, not as effective against the pass as they want.

Interesting. I'm not a draft guy so I don't know much and don't pay close attention, just seemed like this might be a guy to anchor the middle and keep LBs clean. But I'll take the word of both of you guys...

Christian Watson fits a lot of traits that Brandon Beane likes. Elite athletic traits (9.98 RAS score, ranked 5th in all WRs at the combine since 1987). Competitive toughness and apparently a very strong locker room presence. Played for a lower tier school (Beane has NEVER drafted an SEC player in the first 3 rounds... there is something to this). Plus he's a do it all player in areas we are lacking - kickoff returns, jet sweeps, vertical speed. He just needs to develop a pro route tree. I can see Beane falling in love with his traits and drafting him as high as #25.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think the difference between low 4.4s and mid4.3s is inconsequential except in very rare instances during actual game play.  

If he ran a 4.53 instead of a 4.43 it wouldn’t be so inconsequential imo.  Same difference.  

5’10 180 with a smaller catch radius may need that additional speed.  He’s not breaking any tackles.

He had a helluva gauntlet drill though.  Love the kids hands.  

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I just listened to a PFF podcast from a couple days ago about the draft as a whole with guests Jon Ledyard and Dane Brugler. Consensus seems to be that the class is incredibly deep with what will ultimately be really good number 2 NFL WRs and there are no truly alpha number 1s like in previous years.

This bodes well for Buffalo. I never know much about college players until the season ends and I start getting interested in the draft, but I voted Jameson Williams. Part of me voting for him is the fact that now that we've given Beasley permission to seek a trade I believe we'll try to ink li'l dirty to a multi-year deal to take Cole's place more permanently. And that might be more hope than anything on my part.

Regardless, if we do that I think this team has 4 WR slots on the roster established (Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, & Stevenson who I think becomes our primary returner to take the load off our now permanent slot) and we'll probably bring in a middle of the road vet FA to compete with the younger guys on our roster like Hodgins for a 5th spot. Sanders said if he comes back to play it will be with Josh Allen so we can't rule him out for the 5th spot, either. Plus we can't rule out bringing Kumerow back for the important added Special Team's value.

All of that could set up a virtual redshirt year for a guy who might've been the #1 WR in this class if not for his injury.

If Davis plays well this season hopefully we can get him signed to a long term deal and then Buffalo is set up with a WR corps of Diggs, Davis, Williams and McKenzie through the 2025 season.

That's a lot of projecting and a lot of hope, but I think that's the ideal plan. However, 2 big questions:

1) Do we actually resign McKenzie? Maybe more importantly, does his love for Josh Allen (clearly there) outweigh his friction with Sean McDermott (clearly there)?

If McKenzie isn't back... gonna need a fast and versatile slot guy who can play this season... might have to wait til round 2 to draft him.  Who is that? Anyone?

Watching Stevenson return last season scared the **** out of me.  We better bring someone in to, at the very least, pressure and compete with him.  He looked like he was clueless back there.

I’d be ok with giving lil dirty a shot at the slot position, but I think he’s going to test the waters and probably not resign.  Getting paid in candy won’t last long 

Edited by NewEra

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think Wan’Dale Robinson could be a good slot pickup in the 2nd. Only thing is, it would be hard relying on a rookie to play slot, so I’d think brining back Sanders would be a good pairing. He can play both inside and outside and his experience should help him when attacking more zone based defenses.  

5 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Interesting. I'm not a draft guy so I don't know much and don't pay close attention, just seemed like this might be a guy to anchor the middle and keep LBs clean. But I'll take the word of both of you guys...

I just think that we’re going to bring Harrison back.  That will be before the draft takes place.  If we use a decent amount of cap space on him, I feel that using our 1st rd pick on the guy that plays the same position as him is a waste of our best asset this offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The problem is we're in kind of a bad draft position to be looking at WRs in the first 2 rounds. I find it hard to believe a WR will be the BPA at pick 25, unless Olave or Wilson drop (I'm not expecting this to happen). But by pick 57 all of the WRs worth taking in the first 2 rounds will probably be gone (a lesser slot WR prospect in Tutu Atwell got drafted at pick at pick 57 last year... speedy slot guys like Austin and Robinson that are seen as better prospects aren't making it that far).

This is the same thing that happened in 2020 when Brandon Beane admitted after the draft that he thought a WR with a 2nd round grade would be available for them at pick 54, but they were all taken earlier.

If we take a WR with our first pick I would rather it come after a trade down, otherwise Beane would have to ignore his BPA philosophy and draft the best WR available at pick 25 no matter what.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Curtis Samuel was a RB in college. I think Wilson is a very polished WR, has been since high school. That’s why he saw the field so early. They did line him up in the backfield once or twice for fun. 

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Factoring in what I think the Bills covet in a WR prospect coupled with who I think has a real chance to be available @ #25:

Jahan Dotson

Tough, great hands, separates and can play all over the formation. What will be interesting would be if both Jameson Williams & Dotson were both available @ #25 I'd be curious who the Bills would prefer.

I will say I don't think Drake London is a prospect the Bills would be interested in and I think hus hype in the media is a lot different than what happens on draft day. Slow WRs that can't separate aren't guys I want in the 1st round.

A mid round pick I like later on is UCLA, WR, Kyle Phillips.

Another mid/late round pick I like as a speed merchant is Danny Gray, WR, SMU. Guy can fly.

Much like the Gabe Davis draft year it appears WR is so deep it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills waited until round 3 or 4 on a WR. This would give them the opportunity to fill some other needs like DL, CB & OL with their premium picks.

Gray screams Gabe 2.0 to me. Really like him

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Curtis Samuel was a RB in college. I think Wilson is a very polished WR, has been since high school. That’s why he saw the field so early. They did line him up in the backfield once or twice for fun. 

And the majority of his work was done in the short passing game and out of the slot.  I don’t see him as an outside WR until I see him excel vs press in the nfl.  

Since you’ve watched much more of him than I have, I’ll take your word for it that he’s a polished route runner and not just the super athletic player that I see.  I obviously have more tape to watch 

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

The draft dudes podcast said the 1 tech from Utah is a better nfl prospect - Travis Jones 

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And the majority of his work was done in the short passing game and out of the slot.  I don’t see him as an outside WR until I see him excel vs press in the nfl.  

Since you’ve watched much more of him than I have, I’ll take your word for it that he’s a polished route runner and not just the super athletic player that I see.  I obviously have more tape to watch 

Wilson played primarily on the outside. He played in the slot as a true sophomore. Are you thinking of Jaxson smith njigba? He was osu’s slot WR, and probably the best of the 3. Not draft eligible yet though.

Wilson’s route running is outstanding. One of the best in the draft. Wins at all 3 levels, whole route tree.  Incredibly smooth/dynamic/burst.  

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

If Jameson Williams is there at 25, I think we take him. 

He should be back to full speed/ability by the middle of the season, at the latest.  And if he never got hurt, there is zero chance he’d be there when we pick.  

Elite speed/talent out of the slot.  Fits in perfectly with Diggs and Davis. 

Also plays ST

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know a lot of people are certain that one of the non-playoff teams will grab Jameson Williams...........and all it takes is one...........but I just can't see a bunch of teams with GM's/HC's naturally on the hot seat.......or the early exit playoff teams with glaring needs......taking Williams in round 1.    

Let's face facts,   they *might* have to redshirt him due to the combination of the injury while also being a rookie with relatively raw receiver skills and not having OTA's and training camp to get himself ready.    The Henry Ruggs 400 yards as a rookie while Justin Jefferson breaks records 2020 experience should still be pretty fresh in people's minds.    There are WR's who might be better overall players in the NFL AND will also be ready to go in OTA's.

The line that might be able to justify taking him and letting him sit for a year probably begins at Buffalo.    And I wouldn't even be surprised if he slipped until round 2.    But again,  I know it only takes 1. 

He’ll have 9 months between injury and NFL week 1.  He will miss camp, etc so there that issue.  That’ll knock him down boards.  So will the number of high end WR prospects this year, but I’m taking him before any second tier WR prospect. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.