Raiders getting calls from multiple teams for Derek Carr

BuffaloBills1998

Dak Prescott/Lamar Jackson dilemma with Derek Carr. 

Not good enough to make you a year in/year out contender.  Not much postseason success.  Will require substantial investment. 

However… arguably a Top 10-12 QB and do you really want to start over when you know your QB is in the upper third conversation?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not good enough to make you a year in/year out contender.  Not much postseason success.  Will require substantial investment. 

However… arguably a Top 10-12 QB and do you really want to start over when you know your QB is in the upper third conversation?

McDaniel took over Denver and stunned the league by indulging Jay Cutler's request for a trade (and also drafted Tebow in round 1 :doh:).

• Haha (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Why would Raiders trade him?  

It's a fair question and my answer would be this:

Derek Carr is probably somewhere between the 10th-15th best QB in the NFL and if some desperate team comes calling you at least listen. If you can get a bounty for the 12th best QB in the league who's about to need a new expensive contract.....why not do it?

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Estro said:

It's a fair question and my answer would be this:

Derek Carr is probably somewhere between the 10th-15th best QB in the NFL and if some desperate team comes calling you at least listen. If you can get a bounty for the 12th best QB in the league who's about to need a new expensive contract.....why not do it?

Came here to post this. I don’t view Carr as the type of QB that can get you over the super bowl hump unless you surround him with a phenomenal team. He’s likely to stick them into NFL purgatory, right in the middle of the pack. That’s not something you pay 40 million per year for. 

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think thats just the reality of the NFL right now.   The reality is there are maybe 5-7 teams who are legit Super Bowl Contenders year in and year out, and it has everything to do with the QB.  But like you said, what are the other teams really supposed to do at QB?  The real top tier guys are rare, so you cant expect to bottom out and just go get one in the draft, because like I just said, they dont come along that often.

The league has parity week to week.  But when it comes to Championships I'd argue they really dont.   So what to do if you're one of 25-27 teams that dont have an elite QB?  I'd say you keep someone like Carr and try to maximize putting fans in the seats, and make money off of delusional hope.   Trading the guy, unless its for a better QB really doesnt do much for your organization.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Came here to post this. I don’t view Carr as the type of QB that can get you over the super bowl hump unless you surround him with a phenomenal team. He’s likely to stick them into NFL purgatory, right in the middle of the pack. That’s not something you pay 40 million per year for. 

Ah, the 8-8 Bills every year!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Sometimes, shaking things up after several seasons of mediocrity is what needs to happen, most teams are not that brave and continue to pretend to be contenders.

In this case they have had bad ownership, with a bad haircut, compounded by a bad GM, and HC, they now have a new HC & GM that may help, but the ownership problem remains, frankly they’re doomed, jmo. 

Edited by Don Otreply

Derek Carr has put up great numbers for most of his career.  High completion percentage.  Perennial 4K yard passer.  He gets sacked more than most because the Raiders won't invest in a line to protect him.  I hope he goes somewhere and kicks ass.  Always liked this kid.

• Like (+1) 8

I always tell my friends that are raider fans that carr is worse for their franchise than a terrible qb. How many years are the raiders gonna keep saying "if we just build around him and don't ask the world of him" 

He seems like a great guy and a great teammate but he has shown he does not have an IT factor and will always be a quality starter that doesn't have the extra edge to win a championship. I hope the best for him, leaving the raiders could be better for both parties.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Why would Raiders trade him?  

Because he just isn’t good enough. You aren’t going anywhere with Carr as your QB. I would have gotten rid of him a long time ago. He’s ok. He’s certainly not bad. But he’s not getting you where you want to go. I would have started Mariotta over him. At least that guy gives you something with his legs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.