Regional place names that aren't spelled the way the locals say them.

SoTier

Some place names have unusual spellings or are foreign words, so people naturally struggle with saying them.  OTOH, there lots of fairly straight forwardly spelled names that just have unique local/regional pronunciations.  Yesterday the Weather Channel asked viewers to send them the names places that aren't pronounced locally the way most people would think they would be said.   They got lots of replies, so I thought it would be interesting to do our own list of places that aren't pronounced locally the way most people would expect them to be.  

Here are some of my candidates:

For New York, I nominate the strangest pronunciation for any place name in the US, IMO:  Coxsackie, NY  which is pronounced "COOK-sock-ee".   

Also in New York's Hudson Valley is the town and hamlet of Coeymans, which is pronounced "KWEE-mans".   If you speak Dutch, you probably didn't need the phonetic spelling.

In WNY, the little hamlet of Napoli, is pronounced "Na-POL-eye" and Charlotte, a town in Chautauqua County, is pronounce "Shar-LOT".

Real Pennsyltuckians know that Kinzua as in Kinzua Dam and Kinzua Valley is pronounced "KIN-zoo".

In Nebraska, the little town of Beatrice is pronounced "Bee-AH-triss".   Norfolk, NB, the birthplace of the late great Johnny Carson, is pronounced "NOR-fork".

Anybody got any other interesting ones?

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

Worcester, MA.

When did it become Wooster, OH...

Tchoupitoulas street (NOLA)...

ACTUALLY... Isn't there a word for this? The ability to ferret out any outsiders in a local culture?

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Kiln, Mississippi

Anything in the God forsaken Midwest too.

Don't even ask how they say:

Bourbonnais 

Cairo

San Jose

Illinois.  You'll dig your ears out with red-hot pokers! 😆 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Kiln, Mississippi

Is the "n" silent or pronounced?

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Hockessin, DE  HO-kessin 

Newark, DE new-ARK 

Versailles, PA ver-SAILS 

Pequea Valley, PA PECK-way 

Wilkes-Barre, PA BARE-ee

I think Americans in general call places named "Versailles" as ver-SAILS unless they're located in France.

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Hockessin, DE  HO-kessin 

Newark, DE new-ARK 

Versailles, PA ver-SAILS 

Pequea Valley, PA PECK-way 

Wilkes-Barre, PA BARE-ee

Newark, DE is the one I thought of. 

Any thread on city pronunciations is incomplete without Mianus, CT. I honestly don't know the correct pronunciation - but I know how I pronounce it every time I pass through (pun intended).

• Haha (+1) 2

On that note... Marseilles, Illinois is pronounced: "Mar-Sails." 

I guess that's NOT so bad and too overly hicky... 

Why does Des Moines get pronounced proper and then Des Plaines get botched?  For fear of sounding like Herve Villachaize? "De Planes! De Planes!" 😏 

Same with Versailles, Illinois... Ver-Sails.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Newark, DE is the one I thought of. 

Any thread on city pronunciations is incomplete without Mianus, CT. I honestly don't know the correct pronunciation - but I know how I pronounce it every time I pass through (pun intended).

There was a plane crash in Mianus bridge(on 95).  Howard Stern when he was in NYC called ticket office and asked how much a one way ticket from la guardia to my anus cost lol

Edited by Pete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.