Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

On 3/15/2022 at 6:36 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With the amount of 3-4 WR sets they run, they’re going to need depth. I'm still not sure Beasley is even going to be around next year, but with no splash signings and the return of Lil’ Dirty, who knows?

You could argue, this team always carry’s 6 WRs on the active roster. Right now, you could look at it and say 

1) Diggs
2) Davis
3) McKenzie
4) Beasley
5) ???????
6) Kumerow*

They need at least one viable option, and probably 2. I fully expect them to take one at #25 and possibly pick up another vet option, like crowder, Pringle, Higgins, etc. 

*it’s possible he fills at “ST only” roll, as did Taiwan Jones. He was a RB by nature, but wasn’t necessarily counted as such when looking at the formation of the roster. That being said, Kumerow did take plenty of offensive snaps last year in heavy packages. He could genuinely be #6 in their mind. 

If they keep Beasley I would think you add via draft.   We don’t need another Sanders to take play time from Davis.  Develop a guy on a roomie contract.  Vets become available in the event of an injury.  

Any updates on this?  Seems like we would have heard something regarding this by now.

10 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Some random thoughts when it comes to Beasley...

1. He was heavily utilized in the passing game. His 112 targets and 82 receptions were both top 30 in the league. The 82 receptions were actually 17th for all receivers ahead of such guys as D. Metcalf, C. Lamb, M. Williams and J. Chase. His conversion rate (targets leading to receptions) was 73% which is elite and (top 10). Beasley also saw a rich share of receptions in our offense -- second only to Diggs in receptions and targets. Replacing those targets -- and the confidence that a replacement receiver will make good on such a high percentage of those targets is not going to be easy.

2. As others have pointed out, while the volume is great -- the production was seriously lacking. Top 30 in targets and top 20 in receptions -- he was not even top 40 in yards. That little over 8 yards per reception average is (putting it kindly) not very good. And only 1 TD reception on the season?

3. Getting McK back is great -- but that just means that this is not ANOTHER hole to fill. E. Sanders is almost certainly gone, so that is one more hole to fill even if Beasley remains. McK is great in his gadget role -- but I am not at all confident that he will be able to step into a full time slot receiver role -- certainly not in the high capacity Beasley role. And we do not have anyone else on the team that I believe is a good fit in the slot. (Diggs can play anywhere -- but it would be a waste to limit him as a slot receiver).

4. In Josh Allen we have a rare QB that can get the ball to any spot on the field at any given time. As the season wore on, it became more and more evident that the short passing game was a point of emphasis. Perhaps the "other" McK signing indicates that much of this production will come out of the backfield.

5. You have to wonder how much of Beasley's off-field distractions last season (culminating in him having to miss playing time) may have grated on the coaches and team.

6. The fact that Beasley was granted permission to seek a trade likely clues us in to what the front office's thoughts are about his future in Buffalo. Maybe not necessarily that they are down on him -- but at his age, contract $ and the team's current cap situation -- they may feel like it is time to move on.

Why not with McKenzie?  Dude had great production when he got opportunities. Ask the Patriots.  

Also I think we could see McKissic line up in the slot more than we think.

The only way Beasley is on this team long term is if he agrees to take a pay cute. He is due to make a little over 7.5 million this year and the Bills would save over 6 million by cutting him. I just don't see Beasley being willing to take as much of a pay cut that would be needed for the Bills to keep him. I think the Bills are waiting to see if they can get any picks at all for him before they release him this afternoon. I love Beasley and what he brings to the table but McKenzie has shown when given the opportunity that he can be a very good slot receiver and in my opinion gives the Bills a more dynamic offense when out there.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Any updates on this?  Seems like we would have heard something regarding this by now.

Why not with McKenzie?  Dude had great production when he got opportunities. Ask the Patriots.  

Also I think we could see McKissic line up in the slot more than we think.

Agree about McKissic -- I think much of that underneath volume will go to him. While McKenzie was fantastic in the Pats game, I just don't see him being a huge part of the passing game week in and week out. I think the relatively small size of the contract he signed with the Bills likely echoes that thought as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 2003Contenders said:

Agree about McKissic -- I think much of that underneath volume will go to him. While McKenzie was fantastic in the Pats game, I just don't see him being a huge part of the passing game week in and week out. I think the relatively small size of the contract he signed with the Bills likely echoes that thought as well.

Agree.  

I think we get a legitimate inside/outside WR that can stretch the field to add to Diggs/Davis - Likely in the Draft.  Essentially a 3-wide where all 3 can lineup anywhere.  

McKissic will be a big part of the passing offense, both out of the backfield and motioned to the slot.  

McKenzie likely has a bigger role as WR4, but is still primarily the gadget/jet-sweep/part-time slot.

1 hour ago, BuffBills51 said:

The only way Beasley is on this team long term is if he agrees to take a pay cute. He is due to make a little over 7.5 million this year and the Bills would save over 6 million by cutting him. I just don't see Beasley being willing to take as much of a pay cut that would be needed for the Bills to keep him. I think the Bills are waiting to see if they can get any picks at all for him before they release him this afternoon. I love Beasley and what he brings to the table but McKenzie has shown when given the opportunity that he can be a very good slot receiver and in my opinion gives the Bills a more dynamic offense when out there.

Beas is nowhere near a long term plan.  It would have been a slight set back even short term.  Time to draft a stud WR.  The grooming would be in splitting time with McKenzie - or just wait until McK gets hurt.   

McKenzie is not made for the beating that occurs over the middle.  Beas has been beaten like an old RB.  Time to move on.

I think the plan has been get rid of Beas, keep a low priced replacement (which was preferably McKenzie), draft a stud WR, and get another good TE.  One element - get McK has been done.

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They likely will hang onto Beasley until they need the money saved or he agrees to a large pay cut, or a trade.  As soon as that need arises, he'll be gone.  When will that be? Could be tomorrow, Friday, next week, April?  We'll find out!

But don't see them cutting him until they need to.

Beasley has a $500k roster bonus due on March 20th.  If the Bills want to free up the maximum  cap benefit, expect him to be shipped out by then one way or another.

He is not gonna agree to a "large pay cut".

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beasley has a $500k roster bonus due on March 20th.  If the Bills want to free up the maximum  cap benefit, expect him to be shipped out by then one way or another.

Im changing my stance on Beasley. He's a goner. I wish him well but I just can't see the Bills keeping him now that they have spent like they have in free agency. I say draft a WR and CB in first 2 rounds ...and I hope they also happen to be BPA when the Bills do draft them. Im an idealistic thinker eh? 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Forgot about the roster bonus.  So agree it will happen soon then!  And yes doubt he'd take the large pay cut, if he was open to it then likely never would have allowed him to look for a trade.

But what if in trying to find a trade teams all tell him yes we'd love to have you but only at $3 mil a year.  Would he then think different about going back to Bills at less money?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.