Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

6 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

McKenzie has one advantage over Beasley and that is speed (and one could say, cheaper too).

Actually he has 2.  He is signed for 2 more years. 🙂 

Bring back, bring back, bring back my Beas to me ....

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

you speak of the toughness of Beasley and that McKenzie is not as tough. To keep Beasley to have depth at the slot position is going to be important. Slot receivers get banged up more than most. To keep depth at the slot position having both would be a great opportunity.

Stevenson has not showed the potential we wished. I am not even sure he will be returning kicks next year. He, among a few on this roster, is great potential for trade fodder.

Stevenson has zero vision.  He seems to just have straight line speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Assuming the reports are accurate and Cole is as good as gone, then I would be interested to see if someone like Hodgins can ascend from the PS and finally grab an active roster spot as a slot option too.  I wouldn’t say bank on any PS squad guy stepping up, but he’s flashed potential and been stuck behind Cole and McKenzie.

Question:

Is there any reason to believe, based on college or scouting, that Hodgins has quickness and ability to play in the slot?

Not that it's gospel, but I looked up his scouting report and found this:

• Below average short area twitch to lose coverage
  • Doesn't have enough speed to worry a cornerback
  • Long cornerbacks phase up his sideline routes
  • Extended gather steps to open on comebacks
51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What are your thoughts of us having more two Tight End sets and not having that true slot WR?  Davis can be the big slot, McKenzie can be quick slot guy trying to get YAC and Diggs can rotate in giving us different looks?  I think Dorsey will run less 4 WR sets.

I think it is possible that Dorsey wants to use TE more in the short/intermediate passing game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good post, I will put my responses below each point below

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so there's a bunch of stuff I agree with here, and some I question.  Bottom line up front, I agree with you that IF Dorsey wants the same kind of slot receiver role that Beasley filled in this offense, McKenzie is not the answer and the Bills better have another plan.  That said....

McKenzie has improved significantly as a route runner in the last 2 years (since Chad Hall and Diggs).  He's also improved his hands - some of his 11 receptions in the NWE game were very high degree of difficulty catches, and potentially catches Beasley didn't make last year.  That TD catch in the Pats game was thrown behind him, and he literally reversed direction and went back for it.

No disagreement from me, McKenzie has improved and why I really liked bringing him back.  I was just comparing the skills to Beasley, who is one of the best route runners out of the slot in the NFL with great hands.  That being said, the one thing that concerns me about McKenzie is the sample size of said improvement too though.  I mean, there are a lot of guys who don't say have the most reliable hands have big games or make big catches here and there.  But is that what you would see if they were relied on regularly is the question.  But without question he has improved and I am still quite happy he is back in general.  

I will grant that Beasley has been McKenzie's Daddy as a route runner and for hands - other things being equal.  But when hampered by injury (as he was in playoffs 2020 and much of the season 2021) and as McK has improved, the difference lessens.  Maybe to favorite Uncle?

Good analogy and assessment here, agree with this too.

I'm also not sure that you're correct McKenzie isn't as tough.  Between KR, PR, receptions, and rushes McKenzie saw the ball 78 times last season, "took a licking" on a lot of those plays, held up and hung on.  That's essentially the number of touches Beasley saw per year before he joined the Bills, and given that Beasley has been injured 2 of the last 3 years one can make an argument that perhaps the jump in targets wrote a check Beas' body can't cash.  McKenzie also both can and will block.  Beasley....mmmmm well, let's just say I've never seen him in the backfield with an onrushing LB and if I did, I'd advise Josh to throw it away or run.  McKenzie, Josh glanced over and said "OK, I'm good".

This is maybe the only thing we weren't quite on the same page on, and probably my fault for not better defining what I mean by "tough".  I wasn't referencing the ability to stay healthy or take a hit, I was talking more in style of play.  McKenzie has been a finesse type player his whole career.  Cole is a guy who can lay a big chip block on a run play despite being small.  He is a guy who can catch the ball short of the first down, take contact and still get the first down.  He is small, but he plays tough and strong despite the small stature.  McKenzie just isn't that type of player, and I think thats a part of Coles game that goes under appreciated lately.  And while McKenzie is certainly a lot faster, which is great, I think Cole is shiftier in making guys miss to get to that first down marker.  

There's also the speed thing.  It doesn't help to know exactly what the defense is going to do if you can't get downfield while the window is open, before the CBs react.  And Beasley has never been able to do what McKenzie did against the Pats "he's playing me outside and off, let me run away from him"

He was great in that Pats game...however...I caution at putting too much stock into that.  Its one thing to catch a team off guard and have an unheralded guy they weren't expecting and didnt game plan to stop come in and go off on them one game.  Its an entirely other thing to be a main fixture week in and week out where teams are ready for that and create a plan to try and limit the damage that player can do. 

Where Beasley distinguishes himself is between the ears and very few are close.  Isaiah until proven otherwise, isn't even in the same building.  Wallace called Beasley a "cheat code" for zone coverage and helping him understand how the best receivers read and react to it.  Cole has that ability to watch film and figure out how this particular D is likely to react to different formations and down and distance, and talk it through with Josh to be sure they're on the same page.  That's the ability McKenzie has NOT been shown to have.

Also a very good point, just how cerebral and intelligent Cole is.  I remember Josh Allen talking up how important Beasley was to him and his development off the field because Cole would be in his ear non stop every day going over plays, what went right or wrong on even a practice play, what he was seeing, etc etc.  

All that said.....we don't know what Dorsey et al have planned for the offense.  It's entirely possible they would like the offense to depend less upon option routes and secondary route concepts and to make more use of tight ends, on the "always open 2 feet over his head" principle.

Im excited to see what Dorsey brings, and excited to see if we get 2 TE sets more into the offense with OJ Howard here as well.  But I do feel like Josh has had such a dependable outlet at the slot position and took advantage of it in so many key situations the past few years that they will still try and have someone there that can be reliable for Josh.  Especially since its been such a big part of his reads.  

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question:

Is there any reason to believe, based on college or scouting, that Hodgins has quickness and ability to play in the slot?

Not that it's gospel, but I looked up his scouting report and found this:

• Below average short area twitch to lose coverage
  • Doesn't have enough speed to worry a cornerback
  • Long cornerbacks phase up his sideline routes
  • Extended gather steps to open on comebacks

I think it is possible that Dorsey wants to use TE more in the short/intermediate passing game.

To be honest, I didnt know a lot about him in college.  I am basing my curiosity from the potential he has at times flashed on the field in limited opportunities in camp.  By no means is he someone to depend on taking over, more so that they have liked him enough to keep bringing him back even though he had no real shot at the roster with Cole and Mckenzie here.  

Like I said a couple posts ago though, I fully expect Beane to draft or sign someone now that Cole is officially gone that can be a guy that can play that slot role regularly.  So Hodgins IMO is just someone I am curious about, but still a long shot to ascend to the 53 man roster.  

• 4 months later...

“There is, I’m told, significant interest across the league, it’s just a matter of waiting for the right opportunity, significant money – he’s not just going to play for a veteran’s minimum deal. So Beasley continues to weight options.”

I suspect that the two "significants" above are incompatible. There may be significant interest, but not for significant money.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I suspect that the two "significants" above are incompatible. There may be significant interest, but not for significant money.

Agreed. If there were interest and money that could be defined as "significant" - he'd be signed by now. I find it very hard to believe. Sounds like a media member helping out an agent to me.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I wish him well…I love “Dirt”…

PS…”Dirt” was my nickname for Beasley (from Joe Dirt)…😉

Love it.

I’m sure he will catch on somewhere.  It would shock me to see him go to a liberal city though and I feel like that eliminates a few of his good fits.  If he’s after a contender, it gets even harder.  Carolina kinda seems like a good spot for him in terms of how much use he could get, but not really a contender.

55 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Love it.

I’m sure he will catch on somewhere.  It would shock me to see him go to a liberal city though and I feel like that eliminates a few of his good fits.  If he’s after a contender, it gets even harder.  Carolina kinda seems like a good spot for him in terms of how much use he could get, but not really a contender.

It’s more about the states than the cities. 

Atlanta/Miami are nothing like NYC/LA

Maybe he doesn’t want to deal with NY/NJ/CA/IL/DC but the Rust Belt states and South/Midwest are fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.