Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

On 3/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You aren't doing that to a Shamrock Shake.  More than likely need a Hilti demolition hammer to free it up.

Had my Shamrock Shake for 2022 today.  Times must be tough all over; the shake seems thinner.  Doesn't feel like I inflated 30 or 40 balloons after drinking it. 🤔

On 3/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that wasn't always true (from watching the games)

Verification: Beasley had 19 fewer 1st downs (34 vs 53 on the same # of receptions, 82)

If Beasley were only laying down after he had the 1st down, he shouldn't have had that drop off.

Beasley was hurt. That's why he was avoiding contact.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Beasley was hurt. That's why he was avoiding contact.

That may be the case.  The fact is, his # of first downs declined by 19 (34 vs 53).

The OP to whom I was responding said he wasn't bothered by Beasley's "lay downs" because "it was after he had the 1st down"

There was nothing about the cause of the "lay downs", the point is, his first downs declined in part because of them.

And while Beasley is a gladiator-type to want to play while hurt, if he's getting hurt more often the last 2 seasons in part because he's about to turn 33 yo and he's less effective because he's hurt, it does raise legitimate questions as to whether hurt Beasley is really more effective than another player who is uninjured.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Forgive my ignorance, but did announcing this do anything but hurt our chances of trading him? Everyone knew his cap hit, but now other teams know for certain he’s going to be cut. They don’t have to deal for him, they’ll just wait for him to be cut.

Trading him 🤣 

More like Beane already shopped and said "Yea go ahead, no one wants you." 

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, Steptide said:

I'm more interested in why Bease wants a trade. Is it simply that his production was down? Or does he think this fan base hates him cuz of his vaccine stance, or does he have a rift with the coaches? He makes decent money, interesting he'd want a trade from a team this close to a championship 

Dorsey was "passing game coordinator" last season.  At a guess, Beasley may believe that he would have a limited role on the Dorsey-led Bills offense either because he has inside knowledge of the direction that Dorsey would like to take the offense, or because he has an educated guess about other players the Bills would like to draft or bring in.

Several players extolled how exceptionally willing Daboll was to take play designs from everywhere.  It's possible Dorsey is not as open.  Or he may simply want

to move away from some of the option route concepts that Beasley brought into the offense (and that seemed to have been solved or partially solved by defensive coordinators last season).  Or, as some have speculated, Dorsey may be interested in moving more towards 2 TE sets.  If 2 WR are on the field, it's not likely to include Beasley.

Also, in 2019 Beasley was given the opportunity for a wider role than just "slot receiver" but the Bills acquired Diggs in 2020 and his role contracted; when the Bills signed Sanders last season it didn't expand any.  He may be seeking an offense where he would again, have a chance at a wider role, and with Diggs and Davis he's not gonna get that here no matter who gets drafted.

Last and possibly most important, it's a good guess that the Bills will ask Beasley to take a paycut or cut him.  Seeking a trade potentially allows Beasley to lock in his current contract (which is pretty good money for a 33 yr old slot receiver).  If he's cut, he'll get to pick his team but he also may not get the same money.

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Forgive my ignorance, but did announcing this do anything but hurt our chances of trading him? Everyone knew his cap hit, but now other teams know for certain he’s going to be cut. They don’t have to deal for him, they’ll just wait for him to be cut.

If another team really wants him and at his current salary they would probably be willing to trade a late round pick.

Small chance he decides at the 11th hour to redo his deal and stay but realistically all signs point to his Bills career being over any day now.

• Agree 1

Who is going to give up a pick for a 33 year old wideout on a one year $7 million dollar deal when it's already been advertised that the team he is on asked him to take a pay cut?   Any GM with any common sense will wait for the Bills to release Beasley and save the pick and the money.    Personally, I think Cole has lost a step, but I also think his current contract is right around where he should be paid.  That said, a team would be stupid to give up a pick for the guy given his age. 

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who is going to give up a pick for a 33 year old wideout on a one year $7 million dollar deal when it's already been advertised that the team he is on asked him to take a pay cut?   Any GM with any common sense will wait for the Bills to release Beasley and save the pick and the money.    Personally, I think Cole has lost a step, but I also think his current contract is right around where he should be paid.  That said, a team would be stupid to give up a pick for the guy given his age. 

Probably no one.  They are just playing it out to see if a bad team where FAs don’t want to play (unless it’s for way over MV) steps up. 

Edited by BarleyNY

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who is going to give up a pick for a 33 year old wideout on a one year $7 million dollar deal when it's already been advertised that the team he is on asked him to take a pay cut? 

Where was this advertised?

I've seen it speculated here, but the official story is that Beasley's agent approached Beane and gave them some spiel and as a result he was given permission to seek a trade.

I have not seen or heard any statement from Beane or the Bills or even a "source close to the negotiations" that the Bills asked Beasley to take a paycut.

And reporters are in full off-season form MSU (making...up) like Parrino stating that Feliciano was asked to take a pay cut and refused, while Beane says "no, that option wasn't raised".

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where was this advertised?

I've seen it speculated here, but the official story is that Beasley's agent approached Beane and gave them some spiel and as a result he was given permission to seek a trade.

I have not seen or heard any statement from Beane or the Bills or even a "source close to the negotiations" that the Bills asked Beasley to take a paycut.

And reporters are in full off-season form MSU (making...up) like Parrino stating that Feliciano was asked to take a pay cut and refused, while Beane says "no, that option wasn't raised".

My bad on this one.  You're right, its speculation.   But it is widely advertised speculation and not just from twitter nobodies.   Draftnetwork had it speculated on Locked on Bills, and it was speculated locally as well.   That said, the fact that the Bills didnt ask him to take a pay cut formally still doesnt move the needle for me.   The only GMs who should even consider making a play for Beasley are teams squarely in Super Bowl contention this year, who also have a lot of cap space.   That kind of makes his market very narrow.   I just cant see anyone giving up a pick for the guy right now. 

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

It might give Beasley the realization he's not as well sought after and then make him take a cut to stay. Yet if we could get a younger version for less money for another 3-4 years we'd be better off.

I could see Bease back with a pay cut. This front office treats their players very honestly and straight forward. I think Beane made it be known to Cole’s agent that they weren’t bringing him back at the current salary. Beane is very astute at player values, so just like Milano who he allowed to test FA before signing an extension, he’s letting Bease see if anyone out there wants to pay him 7 million. He knows there isn’t. So when Bease comes back I think Beane will offer him a reasonable competitive contract and Cole can either get cut and see if he can do better or take the offer.

On 3/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

LOL that GiantsWire site is just Bat ***** Cray Cray.  "Should Giants consider Colin Kaepernick as a backup to Daniel Jones?"  "Giants a possible landing spot for Cam Newton?"

Then there's this about Cole Beasley:  "He can also serve as a punt returner".  Beasley last returned punts for the Cowboys in 2018.  He returned 11 punts for 61 yds, or 5.5 yards per return.  That was 60th in 2018, and I don't think Beasley has gotten faster and more able to endure hits in the ensuing 4 years.

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He will be released.  If Beane pulls off a trade for a player about to be cut, he's a genius

He did it with Russell Bodine and Marshall Newhouse and Eli Harold granted all were bottom of roster low salary guys.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My bad on this one.  You're right, its speculation.   But it is widely advertised speculation and not just from twitter nobodies.   Draftnetwork had it speculated on Locked on Bills, and it was speculated locally as well.   That said, the fact that the Bills didnt ask him to take a pay cut formally still doesnt move the needle for me.   The only GMs who should even consider making a play for Beasley are teams squarely in Super Bowl contention this year, who also have a lot of cap space.   That kind of makes his market very narrow.   I just cant see anyone giving up a pick for the guy right now. 

Respectfully disagree.  I think GMs who should consider making a play for Beasley include teams with a young QB to develop, who might take a step with a savvy veteran "always open" player like Beasley to throw to.

But as for the market you name, I guess the Broncos, Chargers, and Ravens would fit the bill. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.