Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think some people are expecting a carbon copy of the Daboll offense and are in for a surprise. Dorsey will undoubtedly put his fingerprints on the offense. What does he value in the slot? Speed guy? Size guy? More 2 TE looks? Will be awesome to see the new wrinkles for sure.

I obviously agree.  We hope it will be good, but I expect it will be different.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Different for sure. Also wouldn't shock me to see some forms of struggling in the offense to start the year. New play caller, new wrinkles and a few new players. Hopefully they can sync fast.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’ve been attempting to research Ken Dorsey’s background to see what he might bring to the offense.

The thing that stands out to me is that he played his historic college career under Rob Chudzinski. He also coached under Chudzinski in Carolina.

The one consistent thing that Chudzinski always did was lean heavily on tight ends. From Shockey and Winslow at the U to Greg Olsen in Carolina, to attempting to make Colby Fleener and Dwayne Allen the focal points of the offense in Indy, there has always been heavy emphasis on tight end usage.

Given Knox’s breakout season and the reported interest in Gronkowski (and maybe Rudolph), I expect Dorsey to feature the tight end more, and I expect more two tight end sets, particularly with a second tight end who is actually a threat, not just a Tommy Sweeney like afterthought.

I could certainly see this shift eating into Beasley’s usage and targets, for what it’s worth.

Health permitting, expect Knox to have an all-world season. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The routes he was making receptions on were typically shorter, and he was going down immediately after the catch during the middle of the season vs. fighting for the 1st down.

yup.  I recall people remarking on his “lay downs”.  

I wasn’t bothered cuz it was after he had the 1st down. 

pro’s - 1st down and no risk of a TO

con’s - less productive in total yards 

ultimately this is a cap issue and Gabe is a solid replacement

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’ve been attempting to research Ken Dorsey’s background to see what he might bring to the offense.

The thing that stands out to me is that he played his historic college career under Rob Chudzinski. He also coached under Chudzinski in Carolina.

The one consistent thing that Chudzinski always did was lean heavily on tight ends. From Shockey and Winslow at the U to Greg Olsen in Carolina, to attempting to make Colby Fleener and Dwayne Allen the focal points of the offense in Indy, there has always been heavy emphasis on tight end usage.

Given Knox’s breakout season and the reported interest in Gronkowski (and maybe Rudolph), I expect Dorsey to feature the tight end more, and I expect more two tight end sets, particularly with a second tight end who is actually a threat, not just a Tommy Sweeney like afterthought.

I could certainly see this shift eating into Beasley’s usage and targets, for what it’s worth.

Dorsey as a QB at The U under Chudzinski was a relatively weak armed passer who wasn't accurate outside the numbers so they worked the middle of the field hard.........having Jeremy Shockey and then Kellen Winslow Jr made that easy.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Dorsey as a QB at The U under Chudzinski was a relatively weak armed passer who wasn't accurate outside the numbers so they worked the middle of the field hard.........having Jeremy Shockey and then Kellen Winslow Jr made that easy.

Agreed.

Chudzinski's affinity for tight end usage never went away when he became a pro coordinator, though. 

Both Cam Newton and Andrew Luck had arms no one would describe as "weak", and Chud continued to heavily feature the tight end.

And if you say "well, having Greg Olsen made that easy", I'd counter by pointing out that Chud tried to push the TEs again with a Fleener/Allen combo in Indy. So it doesn't seem to me like it's JUST taking advantage of strong TE personnel that makes it a preference of Chudzinski's.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Chudzinski's affinity for tight end usage never went away when he became a pro coordinator, though. 

Both Cam Newton and Andrew Luck had arms no one would describe as "weak", and Chud continued to heavily feature the tight end.

And if you say "well, having Greg Olsen made that easy", I'd counter by pointing out that Chud tried to push the TEs again with a Fleener/Allen combo in Indy. So it doesn't seem to me like it's JUST taking advantage of strong TE personnel that makes it a preference of Chudzinski's.

Yeah I don't expect Dorsey to turn into Chud as a play caller............but on 3rd down and 4 I expect his experience as a QB will impact his play calling and he will want to Allen to find a TE if he has the talent there.........where Daboll was inclined to feature the slot WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this.  That's creative thinking with some actual research behind it!

It seems to be that teams generally fall into two approaches for their receiving corps:  Relying on size and catching ability in a crowd, with enough ability to be threats downfield, or relying on speed.  The Bills right now are stuck somewhat in between.  So, we see a thread about which speed receivers we like in the draft, and comments about going more with two tight ends.   

You may be right about Dorsey's preference.  We'll have a much better idea after free agency and the draft.  

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

yup.  I recall people remarking on his “lay downs”.  

I wasn’t bothered cuz it was after he had the 1st down.

Except that wasn't always true (from watching the games)

Verification: Beasley had 19 fewer 1st downs (34 vs 53 on the same # of receptions, 82)

If Beasley were only laying down after he had the 1st down, he shouldn't have had that drop off.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

It's a very valid point that if the TE can both block and catch, the 2 TE, 1 RB set (1,2) offers play calling flexibility that the (1,1) 3 WR set does not, especially with a player like Beasley who is not a strong blocker.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trade Beasley for Barkley

IMO, that would not be a good start for that regime. I think Giants fans would be pissed. If I'm a Giants fan I would want to keep Barkley, draft a WR and TE. But more important, shore up that o-line. Too much talent at wr in the draft.

I'm more interested in why Bease wants a trade. Is it simply that his production was down? Or does he think this fan base hates him cuz of his vaccine stance, or does he have a rift with the coaches? He makes decent money, interesting he'd want a trade from a team this close to a championship 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

IMO, that would not be a good start for that regime. I think Giants fans would be pissed. If I'm a Giants fan I would want to keep Barkley, draft a WR and TE. But more important, shore up that o-line. Too much talent at wr in the draft.

I’d sweeten the deal.  Gmen need to shed cap, the Cole swap would save $3 million I think.  Add a later draft pick or two.  I hear you.  But many gmen fans are ready to move on from Barkley 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'm more interested in why Bease wants a trade. Is it simply that his production was down? Or does he think this fan base hates him cuz of his vaccine stance, or does he have a rift with the coaches? He makes decent money, interesting he'd want a trade from a team this close to a championship 

who did what?

did 11 ask, or did OBD say, pick your spot and we’ll help you move along ?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a very valid point that if the TE can both block and catch, the 2 TE, 1 RB set (1,2) offers play calling flexibility that the (1,1) 3 WR set does not, especially with a player like Beasley who is not a strong blocker.

I could not count the number of times my son texted me: STOP THROWING BUBBLE SCREENS BEHIND SANDERS!!!

Beasley was not alone. This would be a nice area to improve. 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

who did what?

did 11 ask, or did OBD say, pick your spot and we’ll help you move along ?

If you read the article it makes it clear.

No reason to doubt what they say, there'd have been no upside to lying about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.