Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

Cole Beasley still has value but he was running on fumes by the end of the year.  

You can't pay that guy $6M/year when he's not one of your top 2 receivers, and you're in a salary cap crunch.  He doesn't play special teams either. 

Add that to all the controversy and non-football related attention, and this is an easy decision for the team.  

I don't understand people saying teams will balk at Beasley's contract.  $7 million for a top three slot receiver who is still fully capable of 100 catches in a season???  If he were the focus of the offense like Cupp was this year he could have had 120 catches.  I hate that he's leaving.  I think his off the field issues are coloring some people's opinions of his on the field ability.

Having said that, we're negative $2 million in cap space right now.  Beane needs to clear some cap and there aren't that many places to do that.  I think Beane is happy with Diggs, Davis, and Knox.

Beane might also think that Josh is the kind of QB who will elevate whoever is out there running routes for him.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Amari Cooper and Cole Beasley are being put on the trade block today. Those 40 times the wr prospects put up yesterday likely made the front office view Cole and Amari as expendable.

Especially with the success of recent speed guys like Chase, Lamb, and Jefferson.  Bado said it in the Cooper thread: the .market on receivers is changing. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Especially with the success of recent speed guys like Chase, Lamb, and Jefferson.  Bado said it in the Cooper thread: the .market on receivers is changing. 

I remember there used to be a notion that receivers don't fully adjust to the NFL until their 3rd season. Now we  consistently have rookies amongst the receiving leaders.

43 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Do not underestimate Beane.

He got a draft pick for Marshall Newhouse.

I was suggesting we get the chiclet for Beasley, so he doesn't look like Terry Thomas.  Not trading him for  a chiclet.  (Don't bring up Mallo Cups.  They offer Mallo Cups, and stinky there is tossed out in a New York minute.)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't understand people saying teams will balk at Beasley's contract.  $7 million for a top three slot receiver who is still fully capable of 100 catches in a season???  If he were the focus of the offense like Cupp was this year he could have had 120 catches.  I hate that he's leaving.  I think his off the field issues is coloring some people opinions of his on the field ability.

Having said that, we're negative $2 million in cap space right now.  Beane needs to clear some cap and there aren't that many places to do that.  I think Beane is happy with Diggs, Davis, and Knox.

Beane might also think that Josh is the kind of QB who will elevate whoever is out there running routes for him.

The guy has never played like Kupp.  If he had that kind of talent, we would have seen it by now.  Love him, great role player, but he is a role player.  Some team that thinks they have a one-year window might bite, a team that sees him as the crucial final piece for the receiver room.  But not a team that is building for the long term.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know about that, he didn't seem as good this year, but that's compared to how great he was the year before.

Yeah, but teams know if he doesn't get traded, the Bills will end up cutting him.  So the only reason to make a trade would be you get hm exclusively if some team is worried he wouldn't sign with them.  But when factoring in his contract, age, and knowing he'll be cut, will be surprised if a trade is made.

A smart move from the Bills. Let Beasley and his team go out there and see what the market looks like. If he finds a team willing to part with assets for him and/or fulfill his contract requests, we gladly part ways. If not, maybe he accepts playing out the last year of his deal here or restructuring into a new deal.

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

This wording could mean something or might not. Perhaps this came out of left field from Cole and he wants out or perhaps it was in response to a request for a salary restructure. 

It’d be better for Beasley if he was cut than traded.  That tells me the Bills aren’t asking for a re-structure because then Beasley would just say cut me.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.