Speculative article on friction between McDermott and Staff?

BillsMafi$

2 hours ago, T master said:

Hey a Boss has to be a boss sometimes & in todays very sensitive world in which we live does this really surprise any one that there is a few people that could be whining because they have their boss telling them to get off their a** & do their job or change how they are doing it to what he wants ?

I think not & i'd say given the way the team has been going keep up the good work McD & let the wimps fall to the way side & go work for someone else !

If you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen !! 

Thank you. I trust nobody more than McDermott to call out the hanger-ons. 

My guess is he had some very true words for a lot of people after the Chiefs debacle. That's when these leaks started happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I read the article from Dunne - it screams of little child syndrome more than anything.  McD took accountability for the choke job in the playoffs several times both immediately after and weeks after the game.  What more accountability does someone realistically expect?  Do we want him to go second by second pointing fingers at everyone/anyone who may have played a part in the breakdown?  Let's live in reality here.

When you write lines like "You can't clap your way through this loss" I dont really know how you can be taken seriously.  It's fandom writing and not journalism.

Yeah that was the point where I was like "Oh this is one of those."

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/it-was-a-bad-bad-situation?s=r

“You preach accountability,” one player said. “But you don’t practice it.”

53 players, 53 opinions.  

And McD publicly takes accountability for everything.  I've never heard him deflect and say, "It's not me.  I'm doing a great job.  It's my stupid players and idiot assistants who cost us the game."   

He might not have publicly said he screwed up the call.  And maybe he didn't.  We just don't know because nobody's really talking about it.   But he has always taken accountability for the final score of every game.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Coaches don't execute plays.

.....this is true, but they do execute decisions. They call plays. If the plays put the team in a poor position to succeed then their  execution should be criticized. It's not like this is the first or second time he's struggled in a high leverage (playoff) situation. Love everything about McD except this.

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

One of the quotes in that article cites is a player saying "You don't get over a game like that."

Duh. No kidding Sherlock. 

This quote says nothing about McDermott or anybody else. The writer just sticks it into his innuendo so that in that context it LOOKS LIKE it supports his implications about McDermott. That's what I mean when I say this is written like a 1956 Hollywood Confidential gossip column. It's adolescent BS pretending to be journalism. 

My thoughts exactly. It takes a very low opinion of your readership to publish this kind of nonsense.

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

.....this is true, but they do execute decisions. They call plays. If the plays put the team in a poor position to succeed then their  execution should be criticized. It's not like this is the first or second time he's struggled in a high leverage (playoff) situation. Love everything about McD except this.

yeah he’s not the best field general,  but the Tyler Dunn article also says he never really disused this in the days after the game—even with the players in private.  One player was quoted regarding perceptions of responsibility.  This guy is no stranger.  He knows the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

This team should have been a Super Bowl winner.  If this was a communication problem among the staff, it needs to get fixed because this team will be in pressure situations in elimination games for the foreseeable future. 

I don't know if you can ever take enough responsibility for what in some players minds was blowing their shot at a ring.  I am sure it will be discussed and dealt with internally and I don't really care to know the whole story.  This team has a strong and diverse player leadership- Morse, Dawkins, Allen, Diggs, Harry, Edmunds, Hyde, Poyer, White, etc.  These guys will make it right internally.  

I love Coach, but there better be vast improvement in strategy and communication when the Bills face a similar situation.  Opportunities to win it all in the NFL are narrow and fleeting.  The Bills as a whole need to better at grasping the opportunity with confidence and certainty rather than failing to communicate. 

This scenario  should have been one that was played out not just on paper but in preparation and practice.  That there were errors borders on being inexcusable.  But hey, we are Bills fans-- we are resilient -- this staff won't make the same mistake twice.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

My thoughts exactly. It takes a very low opinion of your readership to publish this kind of nonsense.

why?  If these are the things players are saying, why is it nonsense? Why wouldn’t the readership be interested in hearing this?  TD put this article out there because he thinks Bills fans who follow him are dumb?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why?  If these are the things players are saying, why is it nonsense? Why wouldn’t the readership be interested in hearing this?  TD put this article out there because he thinks Bills fans who follow him are dumb?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but yes. If your takeaway is that there’s some festering player ill will toward McDermott because of the one quote this article managed to drag out, that is.

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but yes. If your takeaway is that there’s some festering player ill will toward McDermott because of the one quote this article managed to drag out, that is.

Takeaway? It’s the subject of the article.  It doesn’t claim all players have voiced displeasure in the way the aftermath of the game was handled internally. 

So only a reader of lower intellect would believe what Dunne is reporting (as is Josh Reed, separately)?

That’s  an interesting interpretation.

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Does anyone else find stories that are completely based on anonymous quotes really annoying?  You can say anything that you want, and simply state that you have sources that didn't want to be named.  

That's where a reporter's credibility comes in question. Anonymous sources are critical in reporting and many important stories were broke with anonymous sources. Then again, you can fling a lot of garbage that way. So how much do you trust the writer? Does he/she have a record of solid work or throwing bombs?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's where a reporter's credibility comes in question. Anonymous sources are critical in reporting and many important stories were broke with anonymous sources. Then again, you can fling a lot of garbage that way. So how much do you trust the writer? Does he/she have a record of solid work or throwing bombs?

Dunne is known to members of this board.

"Josh Reed is a Murrow and Emmy Award winning journalist...and Sports Director" of Buffalo News 4 since 2015.  A real flame thrower there.

As he just put it: 

"Some of y’all are funny. You want reporters to give you insight on your team… unless you disagree with it"  and " It’s a tweet not a web story. Don’t fans want to hear what we’re being told I credible sources?"

Apparently the answer is no for many here.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.