Browns reinforce their plans for Mayfield.

BuffaloBills1998

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think the Baker Mayfield numbers are about right. He had 3,500 yards and 26 touchdowns in 16 games in 2020. I can see him getting back to that kind of form if healthy. They do need to get him some receiving help though. OBJ was never a fit and is gone. Landry's future is up in the air. They have nothing else of any value on the roster at receiver. 

Peoples-Jones was a good player for them

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Peoples-Jones was a good player for them

Meh. He is a JAG in my eyes. In a year where OBJ played 6 games and Landry only played 12 someone had to catch some balls for Cleveland. As a depth receiver he is fine, but if he is a starter you better be looking for an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Mayfield is in that Kirk Cousins tier when healthy. I do believe he was affected by the shoulder injury last year and having to wear the harness. In 2020, Josh had a lesser form of the same injury. In the weeks after, wearing the harness, it affected his game as well and he wasn't as sharp. I expect Mayfield to have a 3,500-4,000 yard, 30 TD type of season if healthy this year. Nothing spectacular, not carrying the team on his back, but serviceable. 

Cousins gets crapped on a lot, but in the past 7 seasons, he has averaged 4223 yards and 29 TDs vs 11 INTs and completed 67% of his passes.  In his last 4 seasons, at Minn, he has had a QB rating of less than 100 (99.7) only once and has been a Pro Bowler twice.  He's a top 10 QB all day.

4000/30 would have put Baker in top 10 for both categories last season--other than Burrow and Herbert, the QBs ahead of him making tons more money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. He is a JAG in my eyes. In a year where OBJ played 6 games and Landry only played 12 someone had to catch some balls for Cleveland. As a depth receiver he is fine, but if he is a starter you better be looking for an upgrade. 

He is a field stretcher, plays a roles in the offense to help draw coverage away and open things up underneath.

Career average of 18.8 YPC

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He is a field stretcher, plays a roles in the offense to help draw coverage away and open things up underneath.

Career average of 18.8 YPC

Yea. Like a slightly better version of Robert Foster in that 2018 Bills offense. Very similar circumstances. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said weeks ago this was what would happen. You let Baker play on the option. If he has a good year like 2020, you then tag him. If he struggles, you move on.

Agreed.  It’s really their only choice.  And, honestly, IF they were planning on drafting a QB they’d say the same thing.  No need to telegraph your intentions and risk getting jumped for your guy. 

The Browns' biggest problem isn't Mayfield, IMO, it's the overall roster.  The Browns went with the Big Star approach, gathering a bevy of top players, and filling out the roster with JAGS.  The salary cap is going to force them to make tough choices -- keep Myles Garrett or Clowney or their starting QB? for example.  The stars are going to thin out, leaving the roster full of meh JAGs, and that isn't going to win enough to challenge Cinci or Baltimore.  Certainly not Buffalo.

18 hours ago, Malazan said:

Strange to waste a year with such a good team. 

They are obviously banking on 2021 being an outlier because he was essentially injured the whole season (i believe week 2).

But if you look at Mayfields entire body of work nothing truly stands out in terms of him being anything more than a middle of the pack type of starter.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They are obviously banking on 2021 being an outlier because he was essentially injured the whole season (i believe week 2).

But if you look at Mayfields entire body of work nothing truly stands out in terms of him being anything more than an  middle of the pack type of starter.  eventual Josh Allen backup

I made a small edit.

• Vomit 1

18 hours ago, Malazan said:

Strange to waste a year with such a good team. 

Realistically, he is probably their best option. He has played some good football and is certainly capable of being a playoff QB. 

Guys that would be an improvement just aren't available 

6 hours ago, transient said:

Yes, but the real question is if they move on from him do the Browns still let him live in the stadium? 🤔

Moving Day with Baker Mayfield

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Realistically, he is probably their best option. He has played some good football and is certainly capable of being a playoff QB. 

Guys that would be an improvement just aren't available 

This is the issue we had for too long, a better option not being available. Baker is an avg to above avg starter but will likely never raise a team like Josh, Rodgers, or Mahomes can 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think the Baker Mayfield numbers are about right. He had 3,500 yards and 26 touchdowns in 16 games in 2020. I can see him getting back to that kind of form if healthy. They do need to get him some receiving help though. OBJ was never a fit and is gone. Landry's future is up in the air. They have nothing else of any value on the roster at receiver. 

DPJ isn’t horrible, but he would be a WR3 playing a WR1 role and that’s never going to allow Baker to look even passable. I though Njoku might grow into an elite TE. So far he’s quite a bit of unrealized potential.

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Browns' biggest problem isn't Mayfield, IMO, it's the overall roster.  The Browns went with the Big Star approach, gathering a bevy of top players, and filling out the roster with JAGS.  The salary cap is going to force them to make tough choices -- keep Myles Garrett or Clowney or their starting QB? for example.  The stars are going to thin out, leaving the roster full of meh JAGs, and that isn't going to win enough to challenge Cinci or Baltimore.  Certainly not Buffalo.

I confused as to who they went with as "big stars"?  They traded for OBJ, so that's definitely one, but most of the other "star" players have been drafted by Cleveland, or picked up on the cheap.  Garrett, Chubb, Ward, Bitonio, Teller, Newsome are all players that are "star" or close to it that were drafted or acquired cheaply.  Several are more expensive now on their 2nd contracts, but obviously that's the goal for almost every team.  Even Clowney was signed relatively cheaply, and he produced, so now it's a debate on whether to resign him or not.  Landry has a bigger contract than his production warrants, but they can get out of it now for net to nothing.  

If Cleveland cuts Landry and Hooper, which seems likely, they have around $62 million in cap even with all the guys above signed.  They would then had needs at WR, LE, and DT as major points to address via FA and the draft.  Njoku sure seems like he will be back, so I don't thing TE is a major need between him and Bryant.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, Greg S said:

Still waiting to see what kind of contract the Browns give Mayfield and the Ravens give Jackson. I am glad the Bills got their deal done with Josh.  He is proving to be worth every penny.

Jackson is basically their offensive identity so id imagine pretty lucrative.  Baker should be in the tannehill range but with a higher cap so... my guess would be 5 years and 30-32M?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.