Bills interested in signing Rob Gronkowski, per Tim Graham

HappyDays

Gronk has always been a great talent, but there's no question he was extremely immature earlier in his career.  I couldn't stand the guy.  I think that he's matured and become more likeable.  He even did a "Cameo-style" video for my friend to surprise his son with - just as a favor/gesture, and not for money.  If he can still play, which I think he can, he'd really help the Bills offense, so if Tre White and the team can get past the cheap shot from several years ago, it's a great fit for both sides.

11 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

If Tre is ok with it, there's not much reason for us to stay pissed at him.

This is the topic sentence of this book report. As soon as Tre says he’s fine, we don’t have to be de facto defensive for him. 

The pro-Gronk crowd has to at least consider that we’ve rooted against this guy on principle for a decade. He assaulted one of our best players with a weapon and was given a light slap on the metal-braced wrist. A decent punishment would have actually helped Bills fans process it. Instead it just advanced the screw job narrative and now included Gronk personally. The lack of remorse during his documentary was the icing on the cake. It should come as no surprise that many fans can’t get past it. But I’d like to think that if Tre can, we can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The Tre White thing is not nonsense. The dude took a shot at the back of his head! Waayyyy after the play. That's one of the most dangerous things you can possibly do, and it was at a guy that obviously wasn't looking at him. 

He's a cowardice piece of trash. If he's pissed off at something that happened on the field, get in his face when he gets up or is at least looking at him like most guys do. 

I don't care if he was literally conceived on the 50 yard line at Ralph Wilson Stadium, I want no part of that dirtbag on our team. 

Tough as nails guys take shots at the back of a defenseless player's head that's not looking at them after the play is over?

It was a cheap shot. He apologized to the man. Move the F on.

• Agree 1

Gronk is big and lumbering now, but his big hands cradle rockets. Diggs, Knox, Gronk, Davis would be tough to stop. If the Bills can somehow get a CB2 at pick 25 while adding a speed WR like Calvin Austin III they would be a tougher matchup. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't hate it but that 7-9 million number is a lot to pay for a TE2. I would rather target a cheaper option like Kyle Rudolph or a draft prospect in the mid rounds than spend money that could be better off spent on the O-line so Josh isn't running for his life. 

13 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Gronk is big and lumbering now, but his big hands cradle rockets. Diggs, Knox, Gronk, Davis would be tough to stop. If the Bills can somehow get a CB2 at pick 25 while adding a speed WR like Calvin Austin III they would be a tougher matchup. 

Lumbering maybe, still one of top YAC players in the league.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't hate it but that 7-9 million number is a lot to pay for a TE2. I would rather target a cheaper option like Kyle Rudolph or a draft prospect in the mid rounds than spend money that could be better off spent on the O-line so Josh isn't running for his life. 

Strong blocking TEs ARE an extension of the OLine.   Even better when they can catch as it holds DL/LB from freely charging the QB.

57 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yup and there’s one guy saying “no thanks I’d rather win a Super Bowl with homegrown talent” I mean Christ, THE DUDE LITERALLY WENT TO WILLIAMSVILLE NORTH.  You cannot get any more “farm to table” than Gronk.

I am starting to believe Quarantine Brain is a real thing.

Honestly, people from Willy North are too radioactive to be Buffalo Bills imo

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's laughable the lengths people go to be mad at Gronk.

Dude had no choice where he was drafted..........he got passed on by his hometown/favorite team in the draft...........did his job at a high level.........didn't treat Buffalo worse than any other opponent(though he probably had cause to for passing on him).........and yet people are ultimately mad/jealous because he did his job well elsewhere and that some of that involved beating an uncompetitive Buffalo team for the better part of a decade.

The whole Tre White thing is just nonsense...........heat of the moment mistake.........he apologized(which most of them didn't even know about)...........and his explanation of the situation is consistent with the idea that he didn't enjoy playing for Belichick and why he would soon prematurely retire........but our emo's can't run with THAT they gotta' make it about his disdain for Buffalo or Tre or some other nonsense.  :rolleyes:

You can feel however you want about Gronkosky, and his behavior. 

But, you really can't blame people who are both fans of the game, and fans of the Bills for disliking a guy who took one of the cheapest, and dangerous after-the-whistle shots at a player as beloved as Tre White. Nonsense? If you're going to say that "It's laughable the lengths people go to be mad at Gronk," I might suggest that it's laughable the lengths you are going to excuse his behavior. "Heat of the moment mistake...???"  Watch the clip again. A "heat of the moment mistake" would imply that it wasn't an intentional attempt to cause injury to a player, with malice, who was face down on the ground, after the play.  Which it clearly was.

What is nonsense is your snarky, blithe insults of anyone who disagrees with your position, and your straw-man arguments about Cronk's abilities.. Literally no one is suggesting that Gronkowsky isn't a talented player, perhaps with plenty left in the tank. But, this wasn't the Jarvis Landry hit on Aaron Williams (which you weirdly dismissed as "legal" -- he was flagged and fined for that hit). It is completely understandable that Bills fans would not excuse that egregious, late hit. There are Bills fans on this site who simply believe that there are lines that can't be crossed, be they in the "heat of the moment," or not. And for many, Gronkowsy's assault on Tre White crossed that line. You don't believe that line exists? Fine. Others do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Gronk had me thinking about other aging TEs. I looked up Tony Gonzalez. Holy smokes, he has to be the most durable non QB in NFL history. He missed 2 games in 17 years.

He got overshadowed by the Gronk phenomenon at the end of his run.  He doesn't get enough credit for his durability and how long he maintained his play at a high level.

21 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Not a single Bill did anything about it afterwards.  I'm not saying get a personal foul but nothing was done.  No jawing with Gronk, no in his face, no pushing him.  It was pathetic.  I was mad at Gronk don't get me wrong.  I believe White got a concussion.

Concussion protocol and was playing the next week.  What burns me is he had the absolute WEAPON on this elbow which he drove into the back of Tre's helmet.  Timmah says Tre forgave him and also says many Bills fans do not.  I am mixed emotions on the guy.....mainly do not want him but part of me in intrigued.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think people need to start adding Singletary as a legit weapon if we add Gronk .  With Gronk in the lineup one of the bigger beneficiaries will be Singletary.  Bless Beas' heart but the upgrade to Gronk from Beas in the run game will be immense.

And with an improved and more dangerous run game, defenses will be less prone to all out attacks on Josh.  The whole offense will improve.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So a guy from southern CA thinks that a player whose family lives in Buffalo and operates their family business here would choose cap-strapped Buffalo to be the town where he came to steal one last fat pay check?

blanche-woe-is-me.gif

Back off dude! I may live in Southern California now but I was born and raised in WNY. Sheeesh 

My point still remains. Beane needs to be really careful. There’ll be plenty of veterans looking to jump on the bandwagon, and having family in WNY is even MORE reason to be skeptical of Gronk’s motivation….not less. 

• Eyeroll 1

It would be very awkward if Gronk were to sign with the Bills or another team in the offseason, then Brady decides to unretire. Would he want to also go back to the Bucs or wherever Brady plays?

Either way I would assume the top contenders for his services have to be the Bills, Chiefs or Rams.

2 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Strong blocking TEs ARE an extension of the OLine.   Even better when they can catch as it holds DL/LB from freely charging the QB.

If the Bills want to switch to a 2 TE offense primarily then I think Gronk makes more sense. But if they want Gronk as more of a role player then that really is too much money to spend on a role player in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If the Bills want to switch to a 2 TE offense primarily then I think Gronk makes more sense. But if they want Gronk as more of a role player then that really is too much money to spend on a role player in my opinion. 

Assuming the interest is mutual (which it may not be), does anyone even know what Gronk would want from the Bills in terms of salary?  Maybe he's willing to take a substantial (true) "hometown" discount in order to play for the team where he grew up as a fan and to play for a team with a great QB and a legitimate shot to win it all.  I suspect that other teams would be willing to offer him more money than the Bills, as those teams might have more cap space and might be more interested in a big name signing to help sell tickets.  The Bills don't have a ton of cap space and don't need to sign a big name to sell tickets.  (But maybe the Sabres could use him - they have both lots of cap space and a major need to sell tickets).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.