Bills OT rule proposal

PromoTheRobot

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

First scenario is perfect. That's exactly how it should be. Like I said, team B already knows who gets possession in OT. So if they score a TD they could go for 2 to win in regulation instead of play defense in OT and hope to get the ball back.

Second scenario would take game management by the coach. Remember at the end of regulation you still win the game if you make the long FG. In OT a made FG gives the ball to the opponent for their possession. Team A would still have to score a TD on their 1st possession in OT to win on that possession.

Sorry, I still don't agree.  The team with the ball at the end of regulation gets a huge advantage over the other team.  They get more time to win the game than the other team. 

The OT rule as per me.  Team A scores a TD on first OT possession and must kick their XP.  Team B gets the ball and must score a TD and if so they must go for 2 pt conversion assuming Team A made their kick.  If Team A missed their XP then Team B has the option to kick for the win.  Would the team winning the coin toss elect to play defense first?  I think so because the second team to possess the ball has the advantage of knowing what they need and the availability of 4th downs to sustain their drive.  All other scoring rules stay the same.  If there is a weather effect on the game that favors one direction over the other, then there is an additional bonus to playing defense first.

In the case of matching FGs by each team, next score wins the game.  Team A gets the advantage of winning the game on their 2nd possession with a score of any kind.  B does not get a second chance.  Now what does the winner of the coin toss do?  I still think they would play defense and choose the EZ they defend.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Sorry, I still don't agree.  The team with the ball at the end of regulation gets a huge advantage over the other team.  They get more time to win the game than the other team. 

There was a whole game played that set up any end of regulation scenario. OT gives possession to a team based on a coin flip. I don't understand why you throw away an entire game. Just continue the game with OT rules.

Think about games where a kicker misses a kick to win the game at the end of regulation but then his team wins the OT coin flip. Continuing the game where it ended in regulation is the easiest solution. Game tied 20-20, Team A kicker misses end of regulation FG attempt. Team B should get possession, but instead it's decided by coin flip. That's why people get angry. It's not the OT rules, it's the coin flip after the entire game is played.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There was a whole game played that set up any end of regulation scenario. OT gives possession to a team based on a coin flip. I don't understand why you throw away an entire game. Just continue the game with OT rules.

Think about games where a kicker misses a kick to win the game at the end of regulation but then his team wins the OT coin flip. Continuing the game where it ended in regulation is the easiest solution. Game tied 20-20, Team A kicker misses end of regulation FG attempt. Team B should get possession, but instead it's decided by coin flip. That's why people get angry. It's not the OT rules, it's the coin flip after the entire game is played.

Who said I want to keep the coin flip? I just don't agree with your idea to replace it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

A lot of grumpy old men in this thread. Change isn't always bad fellas.

Ask yourself... does the team that wins the coin toss have a significant advantage over the team that doesn't?

If so, why would you give a significant advantage to a team based on a coin flip when you don't have to?

If we're so sure that whoever won the coin toss (KC or Buffalo) would score on the first possession it follows to me that the assumption is the other team would score on the next possession - which puts us back to the winner of the coin toss has the advantage.  

Change isn't inherently bad - but it's not inherently good either.

Just play the full quarter. It’s very very simple. 

3 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Why is everyone making this so complicated. Just give each team one possession in OT and be done with it. For God’s sake this isn’t rocket science. 

What if neither team scores? Do they each get another possession? Or just sudden death after that? 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

What if neither team scores? Do they each get another possession? Or just sudden death after that? 

Yes, sudden death after.  Each team has had ample opportunity by then.

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If we're so sure that whoever won the coin toss (KC or Buffalo) would score on the first possession it follows to me that the assumption is the other team would score on the next possession - which puts us back to the winner of the coin toss has the advantage.  

Change isn't inherently bad - but it's not inherently good either.

By that logic, every regular season game would go into overtime. But they don't.

The more time that goes by, the more fair the game is because every team has multiple chances. Just like every other major sport.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of the teams getting the ball on the somewhere between 25-50 yard line and they drive to get as many points as possible. Then the other team gets to match it or better. This continues till there isn't a match.

It is the way...

Edited by DieHardBillsFan
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Exactly!!!  Not that difficult.  

But you just know the NFL powers that be will come up with something so convoluted that will cause even more controversy.  See tuck rule, catch rule, taunting rule, etc….  

32 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Why is everyone making this so complicated. Just give each team one possession in OT and be done with it. For God’s sake this isn’t rocket science. 

I guess the worry is games going on forever. I actually don't dislike overtime rules, I just hate how possession is decided.

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Overtime rules don’t need to be changed. Play defense. End of story

It's the worst overtime in sports.

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

By that logic, every regular season game would go into overtime. But they don't.

The more time that goes by, the more fair the game is because every team has multiple chances. Just like every other major sport.

Why have a coin toss?  Just pick up where you left off.

If you kickoff in a tie game with 10 seconds left you get

Kickoff

Kneel

Coin toss

Kickoff

That's like 15 minutes of barely football and tons of commercials.  Just have them run the 1st down play and then switch ends and go into a 10 minute OT period.  

Without the coin toss you eliminate the "coin toss advantage".  The new one might be who starts with the ball, but even so - you start with the ball because you had the ball.  

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I guess the worry is games going on forever. I actually don't dislike overtime rules, I just hate how possession is decided.

It's entirely money/tv related.  The playoff schedule structure isn't built for overlap.  

Games going on forever is a good thing to most football fans.  I wanted to see more Allen in the buf/kc game.  Even in the cincy game it would've been nice for cincy to actually try and get a TD not play weird FG football after the takeaway.  Then you get to see if Mahomes can step up after the turnover and get them back in the game. etc.  We miss out on a lot of stuff

Edited by dneveu

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Overtime rules don’t need to be changed. Play defense. End of story

In the post season the coin toss winner in OT has won nearly 90% of the time. Every game is different, but the Bills/Chiefs game was to the point both offenses were scoring at will (the defenses were gassed), and the league is moving more offensive heavy, so the chances are we will see this type of scenario more often in upcoming years. We don’t want to see the result of a post season game decided by chance and the more the outcome can be taken out of the hands of chance, the better. 

Having a timed OT makes the most sense. This way we ensure both sides of both teams see the field. Perhaps a second OT could be sudden death, and the team that ends the first period of OT on defense, gets the ball to start in the second period. This would allow the team on offense to either go for the win before the end of the first OT period or trust their D. Either way, chance isn’t a factor. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.