Bills' traits players in later draft rounds - Troy Andersen

Lothar

Listening to Joe Marino's podcast, he was going through a bunch of first round players with off-the-charts traits that might fit into the BIlls' idealized picks.

He then talked about a 3rd-4th round player he's been watching for a while. Troy Andersen from Montana State. 6'4", 235. He won Freshman of the year in the Big Sky conference primarily as a running back. He played quarterback his sophomore season and was again! first team all-conference. He then realized that if he was going to make it as a pro he'd need to switch positions. He became a linebacker and again was first team all-conference. And this past year (with just a year under his belt at a new position) he became the National FCS defensive player of the year! While he's still learning the position, he may be the perfect guy to groom on special teams for a year. Expected to run sub-4.6 forty. Smart. Great fundamental skills with regard to tackling and pass rush potential. Very raw as might be expected. And as a 3rd-ish round prospect, it might be the perfect place to pick someone who would take over for Edmunds in a year.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/troy-andersen-montana-state-lb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

I'd like to use this thread for non-first-round Bills fits.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Listening to Joe Marino's podcast, he was going through a bunch of first round players with off-the-charts traits that might fit into the BIlls' idealized picks.

He then talked about a 3rd-4th round player he's been watching for a while. Troy Andersen from Montana State. 6'4", 235. He won Freshman of the year in the Big Sky conference primarily as a running back. He played quarterback his sophomore season and was again! first team all-conference. He then realized that if he was going to make it as a pro he'd need to switch positions. He became a linebacker and again was first team all-conference. And this past year (with just a year under his belt at a new position) he became the National FCS defensive player of the year! While he's still learning the position, he may be the perfect guy to groom on special teams for a year. Expected to run sub-4.6 forty. Smart. Great fundamental skills with regard to tackling and pass rush potential. Very raw as might be expected. And as a 3rd-ish round prospect, it might be the perfect place to pick someone who would take over for Edmunds in a year.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/troy-andersen-montana-state-lb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

I'd like to use this thread for non-first-round Bills fits.

Sounds too good to be true! Make it so, McBeane!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

RB Tyler Allgeier, RB BYU 

4.4 Speed with size and can both catch and block. North to South Rb who could be a three down back in the NFL but would be the perfect 1-2 combo with Singletary. Likely going in the second or high third round he is rb3 in the draft for most pundits. 

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uPrlPq8UA

(Wan’Dale Robinson) While watching his highlights he just looks like a guy who would fit the Bills offense. Kind of in the McKenzie role but he seems to have more to offer in upside. This is one of the non first round wr that I’m most excited about. 

28 minutes ago, dje85 said:

4.4 Speed with size and can both catch and block. North to South Rb who could be a three down back in the NFL but would be the perfect 1-2 combo with Singletary. Likely going in the second or high third round he is rb3 in the draft for most pundits. 

How do I post the video like this?

Edited by Tanoros
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like one of the things Beane goes after is future potential.  Love him or hate him, Edmunds was drafted very young and the expectations were he could improve greatly.  Last year they drafted two guys, Groot and Brown who didn't play the season prior in college. Oliver was drafted after his junior season.  And the biggest of all Allen, a guy many predicted to flop, but was drafted on potential and having a large upside to him..

• Like (+1) 1

Christian Watson WR NDSU 6'4 211 4.4 speed

You want a dynamic big body wr 3 with speed who could also return kicks / punts. Who also could become elite with some coaching up in a couple years? Look no further. Round 3-4 projection right now. Wowed at the senior bowl and may at the under wear olympics pushing him into the second round if a team is smart enough to take him. 

6 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uPrlPq8UA

(Wan’Dale Robinson) While watching his highlights he just looks like a guy who would fit the Bills offense. Kind of in the McKenzie role but he seems to have more to offer in upside. This is one of the non first round wr that I’m most excited about. 

How do I post the video like this?

If you paste the link from the top of the youtube page it auto links it, At least, does for me. I assume it would for you as well.

With that said I like Wan Dale he is very explosive. Could definitely seeing us take him and use him as a hybrid rb/wr our own Deebo Samuel-esque player.

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Christian Watson WR NDSU 6'4 211 4.4 speed

You want a dynamic big body wr 3 with speed who could also return kicks / punts. Who also could become elite with some coaching up in a couple years? Look no further. Round 3-4 projection right now. Wowed at the senior bowl and may at the under wear olympics pushing him into the second round if a team is smart enough to take him. 

If you paste the link from the top of the youtube page it auto links it, At least, does for me. I assume it would for you as well.

With that said I like Wan Dale he is very explosive. Could definitely seeing us take him and use him as a hybrid rb/wr our own Deebo Samuel-esque player.

Ok, that makes sense. I clicked the chain link looking icon and posted the URL in that. I outsmarted myself.

I hadn’t seen or heard about Christian Watson until earlier today, and yes looks amazing too. I’d love to pick up a wr in this draft and the more I look at the group the better I feel about getting a wr post first round. There are so many talented guys w/ speed! 

Calvin Austin III wr, Memphis Tigers 5'7 153 lbs 4.2 - 4.3 speed

You want our own explosive take it to the house on any given play wr like Tyreek Hill.. this is the guy. Under sized so injury risk will be a concern but you got to catch him first. Gets excellent release at the line and a burner.  Second day pick likely high 2nd rounder.

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, dje85 said:

He was fun to watch when tuning into BYU games............apparently he had some fumble issues that I didn't see in the games where I caught him............but regardless I don't think there are any RB's I'd spend a pick in the top 3 rounds on in this draft.

Bills don't need to over-draft runnin' bax...........they need to find a late round or UDFA RB and sign a veteran RB or two to add to the mix.

Jerrick McKinnon and James White are a couple guys who might be dirt cheap that could be nice additions.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Ok, that makes sense. I clicked the chain link looking icon and posted the URL in that. I outsmarted myself.

I hadn’t seen or heard about Christian Watson until earlier today, and yes looks amazing too. I’d love to pick up a wr in this draft and the more I look at the group the better I feel about getting a wr post first round. There are so many talented guys w/ speed! 

Yeah, it's a deep wr draft this year. Deep overall with all of the covid hold overs that took the extra year in college that was given to them. Going to see players who would normally be drafted earlier in drafts go later and be a difference maker ealry.

For example at cb Tariq Woolen UTSA 6'3 205lb 4.2-4.3 speed 

Converted wr to cb with speed for days raw but elite measurables could be coached up to be a stud but is currently a 6-7 round prospect due tot hat rawness and unwillingness to commit to run stopping combined with a deep draft pool according to a couple different draft pundits I follow.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was fun to watch when tuning into BYU games............apparently he had some fumble issues that I didn't see in the games where I caught him............but regardless I don't think there are any RB's I'd spend a pick in the top 3 rounds on in this draft.

Bills don't need to over-draft runnin' bax...........they need to find a late round or UDFA RB and sign a veteran RB or two to add to the mix.

Jerrick McKinnon and James White are a couple guys who might be dirt cheap that could be nice additions.

I don't feel second round or later is over drafting a running back when he can become an elite 3 down rb who is a home run threat. That home run threat is what we have missed for years from the rb position imo.  I honestly want oline early and often but I am not great at judging them so I tend to watch the flashy positions that I can notice.  I know our offense needs speed and more speed we were lacking it big time last season. 

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Yeah, it's a deep wr draft this year. Deep overall with all of the covid hold overs that took the extra year in college that was given to them. Going to see players who would normally be drafted earlier in drafts go later and be a difference maker ealry.

Converted wr to cb with speed for days raw but elite measurables could be coached up to be a stud but is currently a 6-7 round prospect due tot hat rawness and unwillingness to commit to run stopping combined with a deep draft pool according to a couple different draft pundits I follow.

I don't feel second round or later is over drafting a running back when he can become an elite 3 down rb who is a home run threat. That home run threat is what we have missed for years from the rb position imo.  I honestly want oline early and often but I am not great at judging them so I tend to watch the flashy positions that I can notice.  I know our offense needs speed and more speed we were lacking it big time last season. 

Motor is better than Allgeier.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I feel that guys who have played on both sides of the ball in college gain a better understanding of the game.

Richard Sherman (wr to cb) and JJ Watt (te to de) particularly benefitted because they have a better insight into the technique of the guy they're lined up against.

I agree with this. And the more former quarterbacks you can have on a roster, the better. 

This is the same reason I liked the Kyle Shurmur hire labeled nepotism. Who better to break down film as a defensive quality control coach than a former quarterback who played for the Chiefs and the Bengals? 

1 hour ago, dje85 said:

Missed for years? We were unstoppable last year and led the league in scoring and set all kinds of team records the year before.

I get the desire to build a record setting offense but clearly our defense’s label of being #1 was way off as KC scored at Will and dropped 42 massive points on us. It’s crystal clear where the majority of our assets for 2022-23 should go…. Defense!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree with this. And the more former quarterbacks you can have on a roster, the better. 

This is the same reason I liked the Kyle Shurmur hire labeled nepotism. Who better to break down film as a defensive quality control coach than a former quarterback who played for the Chiefs and the Bengals? 

I always thought that former NFL qbs who were limited by their physical skills made great coordinators, but it might just be that the guys who had the brains and talent to be great qb's made so much money in their playing career that they don't need to seek out an intensive career after retirement. I have no doubt that Peyton Manning would have made an excellent offensive coordinator.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't think McKinnon earned some money with his late-season/playoff performance?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Missed for years? We were unstoppable last year and led the league in scoring and set all kinds of team records the year before.

I get the desire to build a record setting offense but clearly our defense’s label of being #1 was way off as KC scored at Will and dropped 42 massive points on us. It’s crystal clear where the majority of our assets for 2022-23 should go…. Defense!

You misread what he said then. He was saying we have missed a home run threat from the rb position for years. Which is true, I can’t think of one home run threat at the rb position during the McDermott era unless you count a guy like Brieda. The point is, having a home run threat at the rb position would be a nice get. 

As far as defense, I’m sure we will see a cb and de in this draft (I would guess higher than lower for both). Most likely we get a nice run stuffing dt too, and don’t rule out a lb to learn behind Edmonds. That’s still only 4 picks and we have more than that. So there will be offense too, part of the draft is building for the future and not next season only. 

Extreme positions on things are rarely correct, usually the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dje85 said:

Calvin Austin III wr, Memphis Tigers 5'7 153 lbs 4.2 - 4.3 speed

You want our own explosive take it to the house on any given play wr like Tyreek Hill.. this is the guy. Under sized so injury risk will be a concern but you got to catch him first. Gets excellent release at the line and a burner.  Second day pick likely high 2nd rounder.

Wow is he light.. I’d be terrified to see him hit in the NFL, but that’s some serious speed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.