Kyler Murray’s PR Statement

Alphadawg7

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nobody who has seen Rosen play in the NFL can justify any team sticking with Rosen.  Arizona did one right thing with Rosen-they dumped him before his value went down to nothing and got some picks back, better than most teams have done with their 1st round QB busts.  I'll always give Keim credit for seeing the mistake he made in trading up & drafting Rosen after 1 season.  Most GMs wouldn't have the guts to admit a QB mistake after 1 year.  

Edit:  Teams should always be willing to upgrade the QB if they like another QB in the draft.  Look at the 2 NY/NJ teams: The Jets saw enough of Darnold to dump him after 3 seasons-it turned out to be a good move even if Zach Wilson doesn't pan out.  I read a story a few months ago that the Giants loved Herbert, but because they drafted Jones the prior draft they passed on Herbert.  I think if they knew then what they know now, Herbert would have been a Giant-no guts, no glory. 

I still remember some around here who wanted to keep Tyrod rather than trade a whole bunch of picks. players for Josh.  

My major point here is that they should have drafted Nick Bosa. And then Deebo Samuel in the 2nd, and they could have gotten by with any serviceable quarterback, like SF and Jimmy G. They would likely have a better record if they did not take Murray that year.  

And good points. Giants should have totally drafted Herbert and just traded Jones for whatever. Ham sandwich. 

Those people who wanted to keep Tyrod also wanted to keep Anthony Lynn for continuity sake. Which is crazy. Why would people want continuity from a crap regime? 

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think he comes up short...🤔

I see what you did there hee hee

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My major point here is that they should have drafted Nick Bosa. And then Deebo Samuel in the 2nd, and they could have gotten by with any serviceable quarterback, like SF and Jimmy G. They would likely have a better record if they did not take Murray that year.  

And good points. Giants should have totally drafted Herbert and just traded Jones for whatever. Ham sandwich. 

Those people who wanted to keep Tyrod also wanted to keep Anthony Lynn for continuity sake. Which is crazy. Why would people want continuity from a crap regime? 

image.thumb.png.195b51fdb8ec4816a53ab61e3bd8f87a.png

Seriously, though, why stop at the Daniel Jones debacle?  The Giants screwed up when they "bet the season" on the Ghost of Eli Manning for a couple years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Process said:

Baker and Lamar accomplished more than Kyler has and played their 4th years without an extension. If I'm the Cardinals I'm letting him hold out if that's what he wants. What a clown.

It's not just that, but Kyler Murray's last game was a total meltdown: 2 picks, the "Fail Murray" etc.  At that point, you would like to see the QB focused on becoming a better player who makes better decisions.

Sure, football is a business, but Murray employs PR people and agents.  He'd do himself more favors having the former highlight his plans for improvement in the off season and letting the latter tend to his contract negotiations in private.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I get the sense that Murray does not handle criticism well.  When your team struggles on or off the field, it's great to have leaders that are accountable and can rally their team.  If one of those leaders is not their QB then that's a problem.  QBs that stand up and take the heat whether it was truly their fault or not, buy more team wide credibility.  It is wise to do it.  Fitz did that.  Josh does that.  Kyler?

• Agree 2

Pretty good analysis

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/kyler-murrays-agent-pens-bizarre-contract-plea-on-twitter-12920560

Thus far, the results of those monstrous second contracts have been helper skelter at best. There have been six total, since Ryan Tannehill's extension with the Dolphins in May of 2015. They are:

* Ryan Tannehill, MIA (8th overall pick, 2012)
* Jared Goff, LAR (1st overall, 2016)
* Carson Wentz, PHI (2nd overal, 2016)
* Patrick Mahomes, KC (10th overall, 2017)
* Deshaun Watson, HOU (12th overall, 2017)
* Josh Allen, BUF (7th overall, 2018)

Of those six contracts, there are probably just two where the team doesn't have serious buyer's remorse — Mahomes and Allen. The other four, for a variety of different reasons (and with Watson, about as "different' as it gets), have wound up (or, for Watson, are about to wind up) playing for different teams than the ones that signed them to the extensions.

Point one: on the internet, ALL CAPS = SCREAMING

OK, the purpose of this missive from Burkhardt requires little to no analysis — he is doing what all agents do, trying to get his client in the best professional and fiscal position he possibly can. In plain English, he is trying to get Kyler Murray paid. However, this post is so jacked up, in so many ways. Let's examine:

What's with the font, dude?
With Burkhardt's use of a generic, blocky, font in ALL CAPS, I can only assume that either (a) his CAPS LOCK button is stuck on whatever device he typed this from, or (b) he wants us to read this post like it's being read by Stephen A. Smith, SCREAMING EVERY SINGLE WORD! There is no way he thought that sending this out in ALL CAPS is normal, right?

Point two:  FACT CHECK = FAIL.  Agent states that Cardinals are the only team to have improved by 3 wins each season in the last 3 seasons.  That's wrong.

Here are the Cardinals' record improvements over the last three seasons:

2018 to 2019: 3-13 to 5-10-1
2019 to 2020: 6-10-1 to 8-8
2020 to 2021: 8-8 to 11-6

First of all, improving from three wins to five wins is just a two win improvement, so his whole premise is just flat out wrong. Second, in 2021, there was an extra 17th game compared to 2020, and for Arizona that game was a 37-14 win over Cleveland, so even to get to Burkhardt's premise for that two season period, Murray needed an extra game. Third, Murray only started 14 games in 2021, and went 9-5 as the starter. Colt McCoy went 2-1 in the other three games.

And, as the article points out, "you have to play for an uber-crappy team just to have the mathematical space to improve that much over three seasons"

Then there's the "QB loaded NFC":

And stop trying to play "theater of the mind" with people you think might be stupid
So, yeah, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors, and flowery subjective sludge in here. For example, Burkhardt labeling the NFC as "QB loaded" is kind of funny, considering all of the young QBs that teams would be climbing over each other to get are in the AFC — Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson. Yeah, the NFC has some good QBs, but of the two conferences, Murray is definitely NOT in the one that I would call "QB loaded."

And last but not least: Spell check!  (choses vs chooses)

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So you'd pay him 5.4 million to do nothing for a season and then let him walk in free agency getting nothing in return?

Yup, after all, in this exercise, I‘m a multi billionaire, and that money has already been spent. I would punish the little “B”, I wouldn’t even dress him for games, I would just in a sense, disappear him.  It would be no different financially than him being injured and out for the season. 

27 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I get the sense that Murray does not handle criticism well.  When your team struggles on or off the field, it's great to have leaders that are accountable and can rally their team.  If one of those leaders is not their QB then that's a problem.  QBs that stand up and take the heat whether it was truly their fault or not, buy more team wide credibility.  It is wise to do it.  Fitz did that.  Josh does that.  Kyler?

Having seen some of Josh Allen's examples of accepting responsibility, I'm surprised he didn't accept the blame for Murray's performance in the AZ / LA game. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, simpleman said:

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. Football is a business. Just like the teams, everyone is in it for the money. He believes in himself and wants to get paid "in-line with the current QB market", he wants job security. I would think everyone here would want to be paid in-line with the current market value for their position, and have job security. And would believe in themselves. Football being a business is not one way. Players have the same self interest that the team owners have. A lot of double standard opinions here.

Rodgers has him beat by a continent as far as arrogance and narcissism. If he is top 10 talent, he should get top 10 talent compensation. He is one hit away from having a sudden end to his career, just like every other NFL QB. Unless you are a GOAT like Brady, you only have a few short years to build up that nest egg for retirement.

What there is nothing wrong with is him and his team desiring to get a long term contract done now.  

What there is something totally wrong with all of this is being an entitled diva and without warning scrubbing all references to the team you are under contract with still from your social media accounts causing distractions for the team and then publicly submitting a total LAMP letter to the public that gives off the douche level of something Antonio Brown would do demanding to be paid now.  

So yeah, nothing wrong with him wanting the contract now, but how he is going about trying to get it is absolutely stupid and another red flag.  And I promise you it won’t sit well with a lot of people in his locker room.  

And this is after there is already a bunch of negative buzz of how poorly he handled the playoff loss as well.  

The QB position is the leader out on the field, the guy who gets more credit or blame each week than they usually deserve, and has the biggest spotlight on them.  It’s one thing if a WR like AB takes his baggage to social media, it’s a whole other thing when the face and leader of your team decides to do all this in the public eye.  

Kyler and his team made a big mistake with this, and he is getting torched everywhere because of it.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is why

Actually, the real reason why is because Kyler started all of this himself by scrubbing all references to the Cardinals from his social media out of nowhere long before that.  Had he not done that, which immediately made everything he was about to do public, then no one would be clamoring for any info on Kyler, his status with the team etc.  

But because he did that, its been non stop speculation and people trying to get info on what's going on putting him and his agent under pressure to make an official statement of some sorts to clear up the unknown after those actions.

And the Cardinals didn't immediately jump all over a response, they decide to begin negotiating further in the media through their statement to clarify what is going on.  Which was a total mistake.  Now the Cardinals went from weighing doing the extension this year to deciding if they are going to publicly cave to this Kanye West level diva tactics in the media setting a bad look and precedence for the team.

The lack of patience and respect they have for the Cardinals given its only his 3rd year is astounding.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The top QBs in each of the 3 drafts before him got big $ extentions after 3 years.  Kyler is the best QB of 2019 and just wants the trend to continue.  I'm sure after next season Burrow & Herbert will get extensions.  Kyler's problem is he's the best of a bad QB class but still wants to be treated as the other bests in class have been.  I can understand his view even if I don't necessarily think he deserves to be treated like Goff, Wentz (two disasters), Mahomes, Watson & Josh.   

I don't think he's being an egomaniac any more than any other QB whose team improved after he got there.  

Nothing wrong with wanting to get paid, its how he is going about getting that accomplished is the issue.  Remember he wiped all references and photos of the Cardinals from his social media recently too before all this began.  He is the one that decided to make his unhappiness public, and there was nothing to be unhappy with yet.  They had not submitted a contract extension yet (that was just sent in week and a half ago) and they had not had any counters yet from the FO, even as of now.  Yet, he preemptively decides to make this standoff public with his social media cleanse of everything Cardinals.  Now he is further pressuring and negotiating on social media?  

Absolute worst thing he could have done IMHO.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just that, but Kyler Murray's last game was a total meltdown: 2 picks, the "Fail Murray" etc.  At that point, you would like to see the QB focused on becoming a better player who makes better decisions.

Sure, football is a business, but Murray employs PR people and agents.  He'd do himself more favors having the former highlight his plans for improvement in the off season and letting the latter tend to his contract negotiations in private.

Even further, he somehow managed to throw multiple picks in a half speed no contact Pro Bowl as his playoff encore in terms of recent bias.  LMAO how anyone threw multiple picks in that fake game is beyond me.  

• Haha (+1) 1

As long as we're all piling on the little fella, here's more.

Dates of contract extensions signings:

Deshaun Watson         9/5/20

Jared Goff                   9/3/19

Josh Allen                    8/6/21

Patrick Mahomes        7/6/20

Carson Wentz              6/6/19

Ryan Tannehill             5/18/15

Today's Date                3/1/21

Apparently Team Kyler is sick and tired of waiting for his extension even though it's very early in the offseason and months before the precedent QBs signed their extensions (again WTF was Miami thinking!!!!!).

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

If I were the Cards, Not only would I cut off any talk of an extension early, I’d make him play on the 5th year and then Franchise him twice, then I’d let him walk.

If that’s the way you would run your business due to a cringy employee…… you’d fail

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, after all, in this exercise, I‘m a multi billionaire, and that money has already been spent. I would punish the little “B”, I wouldn’t even dress him for games, I would just in a sense, disappear him.  It would be no different financially than him being injured and out for the season. 

Then a qb hungry team signs him for 40 million plus with one less year of wear and tear.  You’d essentially help him.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Even further, he somehow managed to throw multiple picks in a half speed no contact Pro Bowl as his playoff encore in terms of recent bias.  LMAO how anyone threw multiple picks in that fake game is beyond me.  

Seriously!?!? Lol, I didn't watch it as usual, but that's about as bad as throwing INT's during 7 on 7 drills...

• Agree 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:43 PM, T master said:

You know when he was getting ready to come into the NFL draft & playing his hand at trying to decide weather or not to go to baseball or the NFL i thought this guy is trouble and i guess a leopard never changes it's spots either that or his agent is just that stupid to come out with that kind of statement with out his clients say so ...

I thought the same thing. The decision to me felt intentional for as much attention as possible. To me some guys just want to win and some want to be a star. If you want to be a star doesn't mean you do not want to win, but actions seem to regularly occur with guys like that which aren't necessarily win first. I think Russell Wilson is actually closer to this also but he at least has won a bunch.

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If that’s the way you would run your business due to a cringy employee…… you’d fail

In a normal business you would just remind him he’s under contract and if that’s a problem, he can stop being paid.    The entitlement of this little ***** is insane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.