Bills will NOT be playing overseas this year

BuffaloBillyG

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Even though the NFC gets 9 home games next season I am surprised GB is giving up one. Lambeau is a real homefield advantage for them.

Everyone has to sometime within the next 8 years, they probably just wanted to get it out of the way

Just now, MWK said:

Everyone has to sometime within the next 8 years, they probably just wanted to get it out of the way

Good to know. I didn't realize the league will require every team to give up a home game. Jacksonville seems to give up a home game every year.

With the possible exception of GB, if Rodgers stays, all the other teams going to Europe look like they're all headed to pretty lousy seasons.  So much for the theory that the NFL is going to send premium games to Europe to build up the market of NFL goods.  Arizona is a natural for Mexico due to its close proximity.  

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Good to know. I didn't realize the league will require every team to give up a home game. Jacksonville seems to give up a home game every year.

Notice that Jacksonville is the only AFC team.  That's probably because the NFC gets the extra home game this season, so each NFC team will still have the normal 8 home games like in previous seasons.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

That's voluntary on Jax part.  Owner has some ties to England, think he owns soccer team over there.

Do agree to with OP, now that they added the 9th home game and alternate conferences each year, think it will always be the teams with the extra game at home.  So next year odds are high for Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's voluntary on Jax part.  Owner has some ties to England, think he owns soccer team over there.

Do agree to with OP, now that they added the 9th home game and alternate conferences each year, think it will always be the teams with the extra game at home.  So next year odds are high for Bills.

How long are they going to go with a 17 game season? At some point it would make sense to go to 18 games and reduce the preseason. The end game here has to be 18 games with 9 at home and 9 on the road. I just can't see them keeping an odd number for the season.

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

How long are they going to go with a 17 game season? At some point it would make sense to go to 18 games and reduce the preseason. The end game here has to be 18 games with 9 at home and 9 on the road. I just can't see them keeping an odd number for the season.

Probably until the next CBA comes out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it would be cooler if that extra game was at a neutral site.  Like the Bills vs Bears at Ohio State.

That would be cool, but I don't think the NFL thinks it would be cool.

What they should do is play preseason games at neutral sites. Then the season ticket holders wouldn't get stuck paying full price for meaningless games.

Other than the money grab I'll never understand the NFL's fascination with playing international games.

It's even worse than the Toronto series because these teams need to sacrifice not only a precious home game, but have to adjust to the time differences and challenges of playing thousands of miles away.

I have not done an overseas game and would love to.  My friends who went to the last London game had a blast.  That said, I think it's a disadvantage for a team to take an overseas trip during the season.  It can take a couple of weeks for a person's body clock to adjust to the drastically different time zone, not to mention the hassles of dealing with passports, packing for a long trip, unfamilar food, etc.  

The Bills are a contender, and the league is such that the margin of error is slim.  One bad loss/one bad play (Jax game/Allen slip on 4th down at Tennessee) can throw off playoff seeding and cost a team its season.  If the guys are off-kilter for a week or two due to traveling overseas, it might cost them a close game that they would otherwise win.  Thus, I'd rather see an overseas game in a season when the Bills are not serious contenders, as the potential negative impact would not be as significant.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Agree about 18, but look at how long it took to finally get to 17. I'm sure it will be a big part of the next CBA discussion, but that's not till 2030.  Maybe they'd still continue with the every other year NFC/AFC format even then??

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Other than the money grab I'll never understand the NFL's fascination with playing international games.

It's even worse than the Toronto series because these teams need to sacrifice not only a precious home game, but have to adjust to the time differences and challenges of playing thousands of miles away.

It's to try to increase international interest in the sport. This has to do with money, obviously, but also increasing the interest in youth athletes and providing another avenue of talent for the NFL in the future.

There's really no reason not to do it if you are the NFL. The NFLPA might not like it, but they like money too, so when there is enough financial incentive they get on board too.

As for the players themselves, I'm sure there are some concerns, but a lot of them might find it fun to travel to other cities and experience them and play in front of foreign crowds.

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

the plan behind the 17 th game would be for it to go international.  

Something like

4-5 in UK

3-4 in europe

3-4 in canada

3-4 in Mexico city

2-4 in Japan, China, or Australia 

a game from Australia in the later part of the season, a Sunday night prime time game would be played around noon local time in Australia.  NFL could do a special Friday night game ( on Black Friday)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.