Bills 2021 draft class ranked 25th

BuffaloBill

19 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Ranked 25th

I tend to agree that the draft class last year was very underwhelming at best. It’s still early but maybe only Brown is a home run. 

If we were in the 30th slot, but we were ranked 25th, something tells me we drafted better than our draft position... But I don't know jack diddly squat.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Please let the adults talk. 

The original argument was that the Bills don’t have openings on their roster for rookies to make an impact. This was and is simple not true. We had openings last year and still do this year. They continue to be: 2 IOL, CB2, and TE2. There’s only 2 entrenched starters on the OL: Morse and Dawkins. Everything else is fair game and in need of an upgrade. Addison and Hughes are likely gone as well. 2 more potential openings. Will Edmunds go too? Another opening. 

A very good explanation. Should have taken hooked on phonics more seriously. 

21 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Sure do Debby Downer. I Watched this 6' 7" 270lb  athletic youngster play his ROOKIE season, where he showed good strength and speed. If he works to develop his body into NFL  DE shape, and continues to get reps, I believe he can be an All-Pro.

Bills coaches agree and gave the kid over 500 snaps this year which is what he needs again next year.  After a few seasons and 1000 NFL snaps I'd say you pretty much know what you have at that point.

18 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Here’s your 2021 All-Hindsight Draft:

Round 1, #30: DE Odafe Oweh (4.37 40 yd dash helps to chase down the likes of Mahomes)

Round 2, #61: C Creed Humphrey

Round 3, #93: OT Spencer Brown

Round 5, #161: RB Elijah Mitchell

Round 6, #203: WR Marquez Stevenson

Round 6, #212: S Damar Hamlin

Round 6, #213: OG Trey Smith

Round 7, #236: CB Jerry Jacobs

Rousseau lead the NFL in run stops with 32........which was almost as many tackles as Oweh totaled for the season.

Oweh had a solid rookie season but overall,  Rousseau was better.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rousseau lead the NFL in run stops with 32........which was almost as many tackles as Oweh totaled for the season.

Oweh had a solid rookie season but overall,  Rousseau was better.

Rousseau was more impactful as a run defender, yes, but I want pass rush and Oweh was at one point in contention for DROY. He was second amongst all rookies in QB pressures with 47 (Micah Parsons - 59) and made numerous All rookie first teams, including PFWA, Pro Football Writer’s of America. For comparisons sake Rousseau finished the regular season with 26 pressures.
Maybe Rousseau develops into a better pass rusher over time, but for now, I’ll stay with the freakish athlete in a redraft.

Edited by JayBaller10

7 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Really Downer, I have to do better, I don't think so. Time will tell. However, just for the sake of argument, J Bosa, M Garrett, tj Watt, jj Watt, Quinn, and Crosby were not Pro-Bowlers in their rookie year. Nor do any of them play in a limited rep rotation that would impact their stats. As I said, time will tell.

Now Polly, you dropped Nick Bosa.  He was voted to the Pro Bowl his rookie season.  Also Young and both Bosas were named DROY.  Got some DPOY winners too in the Watt bros (4 times) too.  Why do you even bring up players who were NOT voted to the Pro Bowl as rookies anyway?  Rousseau wasn’t either, but it’s not like that is a good thing.  Lotta bad, average and slightly above average players don’t get voted to the Pro Bowl.  

As for reps, those tend to be earned.  Oliver earned more reps this season and he got them.  Now Rousseau did play solidly this season and he may very well improve.  But he didn’t really distinguish himself on a DL with many solid players, much less in a league with some pretty great ones.  And he didn’t earn more reps.  So you’re still thinking All Pro, huh?  You see a top 2 DE (or 4 if you include second team) in the NFL?  Cool.

Edited by BarleyNY

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It is much better than the 2020 draft where we snagged Gabe Davis and a kicker. To me that draft is extremely underwhelming. Unless you count Diggs ofcourse. 

The 2021 draft gave us an immediate starter at DE and at RT. Plus, I like Doyle more than most as well as Basham. Basham needed to play more. Plus Jack Anderson wound up playing a bit for the Eagles, starting a game, and Wildgoose played in a bunch of games for the Jets. 

But both drafts have been rather disappointing considering some of the players who were on the board when we made picks. 

Why wouldn't you count Diggs?!? If last year's draft got KC  brown via trade, then we got diggs the same way. Gabe, Bass and Diggs and you're underwhelmed? Come to think of it, our defense didn't miss a lick with Dane stepping up when white went down. Underwhelmed and disappointed?!? Wow.

50 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Now Polly, you dropped Nick Bosa.  He was voted to the Pro Bowl his rookie season.  Also Young and both Bosas were named DROY.  Got some DPOY winners too in the Watt bros (4 times) too.  Why do you even bring up players who were NOT voted to the Pro Bowl as rookies anyway?  Rousseau wasn’t either, but it’s not like that is a good thing.  Lotta bad, average and slightly above average players don’t get voted to the Pro Bowl.  

As for reps, those tend to be earned.  Oliver earned more reps this season and he got them.  Now Rousseau did play solidly this season and he may very well improve.  But he didn’t really distinguish himself on a DL with many solid players, much less in a league with some pretty great ones.  And he didn’t earn more reps.  So you’re still thinking All Pro, huh?  You see a top 2 DE (or 4 if you include second team) in the NFL?  Cool.

Sorry Downer if I struck a nerve. Relax. As I said , time will tell.

23 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Since we drafted #30, being ranked #25 means we over-performed by 5.   Hats off to Beane.

Extremely lazy analysis. Impact players can be found in all kinds of different spots in the draft. We certainly did not overperform with this class as of right now

Edited by MWK

27 minutes ago, MWK said:

Extremely lazy analysis. Impact players can be found in all kinds of different spots in the draft. We certainly did not overperform with this class.

This is true. Despite picking 30th, if Beane somehow lucked into the “All Hindsight Draft” I recorded above, the class would’ve been regarded as arguably the NFL’s best draft class in at least a decade. Who you pick will always matter more than where you pick.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, BarleyNY said:

Sarcasm, blind faith or do you have some rationale?

Agree with your later post that said all pro is a super high bar. I think he has a ton of upside considering this is only his SECOND full year at the position. I thought he would be a liability in the run game but he was good. He needs to do more as a pass rusher. I think beane also mentioned he hit a rookie wall which makes sense considering he didn’t play the pandemic year and training was probably less rigorous. So in conclusion he came on better than I expected and I think he has a ton of upside (this was label for josh after one year). 

ps I didn’t like the other posts in responses to your question. Hope this is more rationale. 

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree with your later post that said all pro is a super high bar. I think he has a ton of upside considering this is only his SECOND full year at the position. I thought he would be a liability in the run game but he was good. He needs to do more as a pass rusher. I think beane also mentioned he hit a rookie wall which makes sense considering he didn’t play the pandemic year and training was probably less rigorous. So in conclusion he came on better than I expected and I think he has a ton of upside (this was label for josh after one year). 

ps I didn’t like the other posts in responses to your question. Hope this is more rationale. 

Thanks.  I agree with most of your assessment.  Rousseau has to win with his length.  That’s pretty much all he has at this point.  He doesn’t have flexibility to bend the edge and he’s not very twitchy anyway.  He’s got good strength but hasn’t figured out how to convert it to power yet.  Improvement there is probably his best chance at improving.  He also can’t let offensive linemen get into his body.  He’s done when they do.  But when he uses his arms to keep them off of him he can shed well.

The Josh Allen comp is interesting because Rousseau is raw and has a lot of room for improvement with coaching, NFL conditioning and experience.  He may surprise like #17 did, but I expect more of a Shaq Lawson experience (though he is a different kind of DE).  I see a guy that’ll probably be here through his rookie deal and maybe a 5th year option, but then heads elsewhere because we won’t pay him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, streetkings01 said:

The Bills are a team with few holes or starting spots for rookies. Where was a rookie gonna come in and make a big impact on this team?

On 2/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Especially drafting #30 overall, and late in each round.

The above is true but interestingly the Chiefs came away with the highest rated draft in this article and of course they played in the Super Bowl.

On 2/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Here’s my 2020 Captain Hindsight draft:

2- Antonio Gibson or Jeremy Chinn or Logan Wilson (I'm probably taking Gibson)

3- Cameron Dantzler CB very good corner
4- Gabe Davis - great pick

5- Darnell Mooney WR 4.38

6- Bass - sticking with it

6- Kamren Curl - S Beast

7- James Robinson RB

Only sticking with two of our picks here. I think this draft was a huge whiff. I get that AJ still has potebtial, but we passed on some true talent to take him and the Moss pick felt very forced, as well as the QB pick. 

Did you get permission from Captain Hindsight? Also you're willing to stick with Tyler Bass even after finding out that he's legally deaf?

11 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

If we were in the 30th slot, but we were ranked 25th, something tells me we drafted better than our draft position... But I don't know jack diddly squat.

What happened to Bo and sh_t?

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.