Bills 2021 draft class ranked 25th

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Especially drafting #30 overall, and late in each round. I think we got decent production from Rousseau, all things considered. Very similar to what the Dolphins got out of his college team mate, Jaelan Phillips, who went #18 and the 1st DE off the board.

Since we drafted #30, being ranked #25 means we over-performed by 5.   Hats off to Beane.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

i think Rousseau has the ability to become an All Pro DE. 

I hope you're right. 

I remember watching his college highlights and thinking that he was a little raw and needed to get better & stronger in order to excel in the NFL. 

Having only played 14 or 15 games in college, it just wasn't likely he'd be a starter - let alone a star - in his rookie year.  That doesn't mean he was a bad pick - just that it's too soon to say.  

That's a good thing about the Bills.  Beane isn't forced to pick guys who will make an immediate impact.  He has the luxury to choose players who might need a year to develop.  

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Are you suggesting we didn’t have any needs last season nor having any current needs heading into the coming draft? We definitely could’ve used impact players on the D line, our OL was in shambles for half the season, and we also played without a starting CB half the season too. There’s definite holes on our team. 

Sure but are you really going to find that impact guy drafting #29?  And also who would you cut then in their place.  CB for example; White Wallace, Jackson, Johnson, Neal??  Would a rookie not drafted in 1st round for certain and maybe lower really have helped the team more than those guys all did based on their experience?

They did draft 3 offensive lineman. and 2 D lineman.  Agree there are still holes and questions, but not sure how likely it is to expect a rookie to come in and be an improvement over experienced vets.

IMO the two positions that rookies can come in and look decent at immediately are RB and CB.  For that reason I would be fine with drafting a CB in 1st round, particularly since Wallace may likely be gone and White may not be close to 100% till half way through the season.

When you are picking 30th, I would expect having the 30th best draft would be par. However, knowing some teams do not have all their picks, maybe 25th would be closer to par. So probably an average (not great not terrible) showing with a chance to better evaluate down the road. Disturbing thing is competitor KC's home run showing picking later in the same draft not even counting the value of trading a pick for O Brown.

2 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Are you suggesting we didn’t have any needs last season nor having any current needs heading into the coming draft? We definitely could’ve used impact players on the D line, our OL was in shambles for half the season, and we also played without a starting CB half the season too. There’s definite holes on our team. 

We found a starting DE and a starting RT out of our rookie class. Not many holes like I said previously.

Here’s your 2021 All-Hindsight Draft:

Round 1, #30: DE Odafe Oweh (4.37 40 yd dash helps to chase down the likes of Mahomes)

Round 2, #61: C Creed Humphrey

Round 3, #93: OT Spencer Brown

Round 5, #161: RB Elijah Mitchell

Round 6, #203: WR Marquez Stevenson

Round 6, #212: S Damar Hamlin

Round 6, #213: OG Trey Smith

Round 7, #236: CB Jerry Jacobs

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gjv001 said:

i think Rousseau has the ability to become an All Pro DE. 

I think stranger things have happened. Although, more than half the time we do not ask our ends to the OT. We ask them to walk the  OT back towards the QB. If you’re doing that a lot, it is very hard to get a lot of sacks. Our ends no longer (since Leslie) read the play every down either. They just do what is asked of them. Leslie Billieved if everyone does their job asked of them, we will have a very good D. I prefer getting smart players and having them read the play as it happens. We do this sometimes but not very often, but moreso in the playoffs, imho… So it is hard for any DL to make a pro bowl in Buffalo, imho…

Having said that, I think Rousseau is very young and we don’t even really know what we have here yet. He has the frame to gain a lot of muscle if the Bills want him too, IDK? We’ll see….But he’s super young super large, and very athletic . It looks like he lacks a burst but I think he could really change his body in that regard too. I’m saying getting way stronger in his glutes and calfs to be more like Bruce (bubble butt) Smith. I’m certain Bruce told him it’s all in the glutes and to get a stair master. We have to remember he gained 30 LBs in one year. He could gain another 30 easy and play at Super’s weight, we don’t know what we have yet.

Go Bills!

And that means both ways. We don’t know if he’s a pro bowler or a below average player, we just don’t know yet, he’s a kid.

38 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Round 1, #30: DE Odafe Oweh (4.37 40 yd dash helps to chase down the likes of Mahomes)

Pretty interesting, thanks.

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It is much better than the 2020 draft where we snagged Gabe Davis and a kicker. To me that draft is extremely underwhelming. Unless you count Diggs ofcourse. 

The 2021 draft gave us an immediate starter at DE and at RT. Plus, I like Doyle more than most as well as Basham. Basham needed to play more. Plus Jack Anderson wound up playing a bit for the Eagles, starting a game, and Wildgoose played in a bunch of games for the Jets. 

But both drafts have been rather disappointing considering some of the players who were on the board when we made picks. 

Well, first off, you absolutely have to count Diggs. In what world would you ignore that? Secondly, it is way too early to conclude anything about either draft.  I like Basham too but I like Epenesa as well. AJ has some meanness like Jerry Hughes. He needs way more reps and time at the position. It is also difficult to judge DEs in this defense. It sure looks like the DEs just do what the called defense tells them to do and often, that’s just walk the OT back into the QB. Not my cup of tea, but that’s the defense.

A good example (but there are tons of them) is Harrison Philips. He almost had no value last offseason and he shocked everyone and came on strong the second half of the season. Maybe someone will pay him now?. I hope we don’t give him a big contract though… Unlikely he plays a long time with that knee… He’s a trooper and a off-field A+ so I hope he wants to stay but we’d be crazy to pay him over 5…. I think Milano and Tremaine are both overpaid by ~ 2 mill each.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Here’s my 2020 Captain Hindsight draft:

2- Antonio Gibson or Jeremy Chinn or Logan Wilson (I'm probably taking Gibson)

3- Cameron Dantzler CB very good corner
4- Gabe Davis - great pick

5- Darnell Mooney WR 4.38

6- Bass - sticking with it

6- Kamren Curl - S Beast

7- James Robinson RB

Only sticking with two of our picks here. I think this draft was a huge whiff. I get that AJ still has potebtial, but we passed on some true talent to take him and the Moss pick felt very forced, as well as the QB pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Sure do Debby Downer. I Watched this 6' 7" 270lb  athletic youngster play his ROOKIE season, where he showed good strength and speed. If he works to develop his body into NFL  DE shape, and continues to get reps, I believe he can be an All-Pro.

So blind faith then.  I think he can be a solid DE, but All-Pro is an incredibly high bar.  Tremendously high actually.  There are only two first team and two second team All Pro DEs selected each season.  You’re going to have to do a lot better than he’s a “youngster who shows good speed and strength”.  What do you see that ranks him up with the Bosas, Watts, Garrett, Young, Quinn, Crosby and others who are already legitimately in the conversation?

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

So blind faith then.  I think he can be a solid DE, but All-Pro is an incredibly high bar.  Tremendously high actually.  There are only two first team and two second team All Pro DEs selected each season.  You’re going to have to do a lot better than he’s a “youngster who shows good speed and strength”.  What do you see that ranks him up with the Bosas, Watts, Garrett, Young, Quinn, Crosby and others who are already legitimately in the conversation?

Really Downer, I have to do better, I don't think so. Time will tell. However, just for the sake of argument, J Bosa, M Garrett, tj Watt, jj Watt, Quinn, and Crosby were not Pro-Bowlers in their rookie year. Nor do any of them play in a limited rep rotation that would impact their stats. As I said, time will tell.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Ranked 25th

I tend to agree that the draft class last year was very underwhelming at best. It’s still early but maybe only Brown is a home run. 

Beane has made numerous draft blunders,  one of the biggest has to be taking Ford over either WR's Brown or Metcalf.  Ford is a bust and will be out of the league soon and those two WR's are both studs.  I will give Beane full credit for getting the most important position on the field correct in drafting Allen.  When you get that right everything else gets overlooked.  Without Allen both McDermott and Beane are no longer here 

Edited by Niagara Dude
spelling

18 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane has made numerous draft blunders,  one of the biggest has to be taking Ford over either WR's Brown or Metcalf.  Ford is a bust and will be out of the league soon and those two WR's are both studs.  I will give Beane full credit for getting the most important position on the field correct in drafting Allen.  When you get that right everything else gets overlooked.  Without Allen both McDermott and Beane are no longer here 

Without Brady...   Without Montana...   You take away a GM's best player - if it's a QB - and you can always make that argument.

Our D, while imperfect, was #1 in the NFL last year.   My eyes aren't as good as they once were but I don't recall seeing #17 lining up next to Milano.

Beane - like every successful GM - has some hits and misses.  But he has enough hits that we're becoming a perennial contender.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

We found a starting DE and a starting RT out of our rookie class. Not many holes like I said previously.

You said we didn’t have holes for rookies to have an impact. Then, you ask “Where was a rookie gonna come in and make a big impact on this team?” Now, you have listed 2. I’ll add 2 more positions a rookie could’ve excelled at on our team: CB2 and IOL. That’s at least 4-5 positions. We even have people on here saying we’re thin at WR and need to draft one in the 1st. You really think we have few holes?

18 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

They drafted two d lineman and 2 o lineman... one of the O lineman was the unquestioned starter...

What is wrong with you? Please be detailed. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Malazan said:

They drafted two d lineman and 2 o lineman... one of the O lineman was the unquestioned starter...

What is wrong with you? Please be detailed. 

Please let the adults talk. 

The original argument was that the Bills don’t have openings on their roster for rookies to make an impact. This was and is simple not true. We had openings last year and still do this year. They continue to be: 2 IOL, CB2, and TE2. There’s only 2 entrenched starters on the OL: Morse and Dawkins. Everything else is fair game and in need of an upgrade. Addison and Hughes are likely gone as well. 2 more potential openings. Will Edmunds go too? Another opening. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.