In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I refused to emotionally invest in Allen during his rookie season because 

Many say they came around after the Vikings game but for me that was way too early still. The game that got me on the bandwagon was the first Miami game. In that game he looked like the Josh Allen in the second half against the Bucs this year. The difference was he was playing with a terrible supporting cast back then. He really showcased his skill set and potential in that Miami game. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am also a homer. I still even look back at those drought rosters and think, “man, this seems like a good team.” I also had the same pro-RJ and pro-Kelsey views as you, so I won’t repeat them. 

for me:

1) I was a huge Tom Donahoe fan

2) I was also a big Chan Gailey fan

3) Approved of letting Winfield and Pat Williams walk.

4) Non-Bills take: Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning

I don't think Chan Gailey was a bad coach at all.

One of our best game callers for sure.  He and Fitz, Stevie, they had some pretty good showings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

Most of these takes were rather reasonable positions at the time and would have agreed with most.  None were crazy ideas.

I thought that GM Marv Levy and coach Dick Jauron made a brilliant move by bringing in Steve Fairchild to import the greatest Show On Turf offense to Buffalo, and that we had the personnel to successfully execute it with Lee Evans, Andre Davis, Peerless Price, Roscoe Parrish, and JP Losman. Thought we’d set the league on fire.

Also thought Josh Reed was a very underrated slot receiver.

Also thought Trent Edwards would be “the one”.

Also openly didn’t want anything to do with Josh Allen.

I could go on all day. Never listen to my takes.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

With ya on the Rob Johnson thing. He did lead us to a game winning FG in the playoffs. I still say that was a forward pass by Tennessee.

I liked OJ Simpson pre 1994.  

I don't remember if I ever said "We want Marangi", but I might have.  

I wanted Steve Spurrier to replace Hank Bullough, not Marv. 

I wanted Johnson over Flutie.  

I predicted JP Losman would lead us to a 12 win season his 1st year as a starter-Woops!  

Once I jumped off the JP bandwagon, I predicted Trent Edwards would be a HOF QB. (I think that's my greatest mistake)

Now for a couple of good takes: 

With all those overly optimistic QB thoughts, I only questioned 1 QB, EJ Manuel.  Before the draft I was against drafting a QB, especially in the 1st round because It was obvious to most people not named Buddy Nix that it was a bad QB class.  I even posted on another board comparing that class to another one that produced no quality NFL QBs.  After EJ said he was offering stock in his career I asked the question "How can I short the stock?"  

When we drafted Josh, I went back to optimist mode. Now these 2 things haven't happened yet, but I believe they will someday in the future.  The day Josh signed his rookie contract I posted on Facebook "Bills sign future Super Bowl MVP" and on opening day 2019 I responded to a Jets fan in front of me on the bus to the game who was criticizing Josh & his accuracy by telling him Josh will end up in the Hall of Fame.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.