In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

Wanted a Jackson/Scwartz combo instead of Ryan.

Wouldn't have been as bad as Ryan, imho, but it probably would have ended badly - Jackson being nowhere near the coach I thought he was.

Schwartz is still one of the best DCs around imho, and I really struggled with the Ryan hire all long for screwing up the D we did have, when Schwartz was running it.

Wasn't exactly in one 'camp' or another, but I seem to remember thinking Rosen would be preferable to Allen. TBH, I preferred Rosen to Darnold, as well, as I thought Darnold gave the football away too much. Iirc, wasn't that struck on Mayfield either, but knew he'd be gone anyway. ;)

So right and wrong in about equal measure on the QBs.

In my defense, I will say that I jumped on the Allen bandwagon fairly quickly afterwards.

There was a point at which I thought Losman had a chance to become a decent QB.  Then Fairchild left, and put a stop to that nonsense.

Definitely believed in Edwards, until he got Jauroned.

18 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I was a huge Donahoe fane when he first got here but immediately hated him at first news of signing that washed-up Lawyer Milloy and I knew immediately it meant we would lose Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield and I absolutely hated that trade.

[snip]

Also laughed at Donte Whitner pick when that giant DT the ravens took was still on board (just awful Bills moves.)

Minor correction: Milloy had just been cut by New England after refusing a pay cut just before Week1 and was a free agent when he signed with Buffalo a few days after. The Bills won that first game against New England, 31-0, with Milloy leading the way. I thought the Bills were a sure-fire playoff team after that win. Big mistake!! New England returned the favor to us in Week 16 with an identical 31-0 win at home; and went on to win their second Super Bowl. 

And in 2006, we had just hired a new coach, Dick Jauron. He installed his Tampa 2 defense; and wanted personnel who could play this. This was the motive for drafting both Whitner and John McCargo in the first round, with McCargo apparently being the only player in the draft who could play in that system (according to the Jauron). I agree with you, Baltimore's pick, Haloti Ngata, would have been a tremendous asset.

16 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Oh my, I have 2 horrible ones that come to mind:

1. Didn’t want Patrick Mahommes or Desean Watson in the draft

You were probably actually right on Watson, lol!

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Mine? “Thirteen seconds….we got this!”

I was certain after the Bills were up 16-0 late in the 3rd quarter in the Wild Card at Houston in 2019 that the game was won. And also in 1999 when Steve Christie hit the field goal to put us into the lead 16-15 with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter at Tennessee in the Wild Card. Oops!

OTOH, I said there was no way Cincinnati would beat Baltimore in Week 17 in 2017 to put the Bills in the playoffs. Glad I was wrong.

Edited by chongli
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, chongli said:

I was certain after the Bills were up 16-0 late in the 3rd quarter in the Wild Card at Houston in 2019 that the game was won. And also in 1999 when Steve Christie hit the field goal to put us into the lead 16-15 with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter at Tennessee in the Wild Card. Oops!

OTOH, I said there was no way Cincinnati would beat Baltimore in Week 17 to put the Bills in the playoffs. Glad I was wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.9577b5b588e3e70c0aecc1ae41aba1ca.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

I truly do admire the honesty. :) 

I was 100% sure that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. It took me WAY too long to finally admit that he just didn't have it. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I was in the "Don't pay Jason Peters" camp. And then he turned out to be a generational talent at LT. 

The honesty in this thread is just great!!!!

I almost forgot.....when they let Pat Williams walk, I figured that he MUST be past his prime!!! 😁

Edited by Bill from NYC

For me it's many of the same things as others have posted. I've been right and I've been wrong. 

The big thing for me is it's caused me to seriously evaluate what I'm about to post before I do it. I guess you could call it a humility check, and to not be so strident it my views before hand. I used to be willing to defend it to the death.

As a side note: I think all Americans could use a humilty check with their views on everything. JMO

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

Go and sin no more!

I thought that Dick Jauron would be a good coach.

After the 2006 season, I thought that JP Losman would be a decent NFL QB.

I thought that Doug Whaley was a good GM.

I was unimpressed with McDermott who seemed too much like Jauron.  I was also unimpressed with Beane since his background at Carolina didn't seem to include player evaluation.

I thought that Baker Mayfield would be the best QB from the 2018 draft class, and that the Bills had given up too much to get Josh Allen.    :doh:

Edited by SoTier

1. Nathan Peterman's quick release was fast like Dan Marino's and he would have great success in this league.
2. J. P. Losman would have a productive career.

3. I thought Marcel Dareus would develop into a Pat Williams type of NT, but instead he went the route of JaMarcus Russell once he got his big pay day.

4. I was on the fence with Johnson vs. Flutie, but leaned a bit toward Johnson instead of Flutie.

5. I thought Kelvin Benjamin was a good acquisition.

6. Duke Williams was going to be that big target and would blossom.

7. Marv Levy was just another coaching "re-tread" and would only last a couple of years in Buffalo as HC.

8. Marv Levy would be a savior as a GM.

However, on the flip side, I will say I was all-in on the Josh Allen pick before the draft and didn't think much of the "other Josh".  :)

1 minute ago, ChasBB said:

1. Nathan Peterman's quick release was fast like Dan Marino's and he would have great success in this league.
2. J. P. Losman would have a productive career.

3. I thought Marcel Dareus would develop into a Pat Williams type of NT, but instead he went the route of JaMarcus Russell once he got his big pay day.

4. I was on the fence with Johnson vs. Flutie, but leaned a bit toward Johnson instead of Flutie.

5. I thought Kelvin Benjamin was a good acquisition.

6. Duke Williams was going to be that big target and would blossom.

7. Marv Levy was just another coaching "re-tread" and would only last a couple of years in Buffalo as HC.

8. Marv Levy would be a savior as a GM.

However, on the flip side, I will say I was all-in on the Josh Allen pick before the draft and didn't think much of the "other Josh".  :)

Until the SB parade, you're still in the 'defecit' column. 😁

For me, thinking McDermott and Beane were utterly clueless about the QB position. This came from the fact that they saw something in Peterman to have him on the roster. And doubled down not once but twice making him a starter. What did he throw 8 INTs in two starts which ended up just being 4 total quarters of football? They witnessed Peterman for over a full year in practice, and about a half of live action his rookie seasons and still thought he not only warranted a roster spot but that he could be the opening day starter. 

Factor in that I was not that high on the Allen pick because of his perceived high ceiling and low floor making him a prospect that would need a lot of time to develop I thought our coach and GM were in way over there heads when it came to the QB position and had no idea how to evaluate or develop it. The skills position for the supporting cast was weak as well. Their big acquisition to help the QB was Kelvin Benjamin who ended up a huge bust and ultimately out of the league after the Bills cut him halfway through Allen's rookie season. 

1. Couldn't tell Peterman was BAD.

2. Couldn't identify skill players that would help the team.

3. Drafted a project QB with a sky high ceiling and desert floor. 

All the Bills have done since they have arrived is make the playoffs in 4 out of 5 seasons after a 17 year drought.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For me, thinking McDermott and Beane were utterly clueless about the QB position. This came from the fact that they saw something in Peterman to have him on the roster. And doubled down not once but twice making him a starter. What did he throw 8 INTs in two starts which ended up just being 4 total quarters of football? They witnessed Peterman for over a full year in practice, and about a half of live action his rookie seasons and still thought he not only warranted a roster spot but that he could be the opening day starter. 

Factor in that I was not that high on the Allen pick because of his perceived high ceiling and low floor making him a prospect that would need a lot of time to develop I thought our coach and GM were in way over there heads when it came to the QB position and had no idea how to evaluate or develop it. The skills position for the supporting cast was weak as well. Their big acquisition to help the QB was Kelvin Benjamin who ended up a huge bust and ultimately out of the league after the Bills cut him halfway through Allen's rookie season. 

1. Couldn't tell Peterman was BAD.

2. Couldn't identify skill players that would help the team.

3. Drafted a project QB with a sky high ceiling and desert floor. 

All the Bills have done since they have arrived is make the playoffs in 4 out of 5 seasons after a 17 year drought.

I think that by the time 2018 rolled around, long time Bills fans like myself had been fed a seemingly endless of menu "project QBs" from Rob Johnson to JP Losman to Trent Edwards to EJ Manuel to Tyrod Taylor to Josh Allen for so long that many of us were just of the "here we go again" mindset.   I know that's how I felt about Allen when we drafted him.   I refused to emotionally invest in Allen during his rookie season because I figured he'd bust just like the others had even though his leadership and his willingness to do whatever he needed to do to win put him on an entirely different level from his failed predecessors.  His passing skills as a rookie were terrible and his decision making seriously suspect.

I still find it amazing that the Bills actually did find that 1 "project QB" in a 100 who actually becomes elite.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.