In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

4. Selfishly wanting a dome before finally going to Highmark and seeing with my own eyes what an amazing outdoor experience (albeit cold) it was.

That WC game was good weather.  Cold but little wind or precipitation.

If you sat through the ‘08 Giants game to the very end and still prefer open air I’ll take your opinion seriously.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

Oh my, I have 2 horrible ones that come to mind:

1. Didn’t want Patrick Mahommes or Desean Watson in the draft

2. Was very meh on the Josh Allen pick.

To this day, I think that Chris Kelsey was good, not great, and his critics were too harsh.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, boy. Many. 

I, too, fooled myself about the Rex Ryan hire, though I claim the "talked into that POV by a guy in a Gold Jacket" mulligan for that one

I thought Tyrod Taylor could play QB well enough to get us to the playoffs.  I was right about that, kind of - if only the D under Ryan had done their part.

I thought Ryan Fitzpatrick could improve his completion %, decrease his INT, and become our franchise QB.    Well, he did both - but not here, and not consistently enough to become The Man somewhere else.

You were right about TT.

I was ok with the Rex hire too even though I wanted Todd Bowles at the time. I just thought he would be a HC. He did well with the players and game management.  I still don't understand why he dismantled a top 3 defense. I thought he would add some blitz packages to the Schwartz D. 

Edited by Ethan in Portland

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You were right about TT.

I was ok with the Rex hire too even though I wanted Todd Bowles at the time. I just thought he would be a HC. He did well with the players and game management.  I still don't understand why he dismantled a top 3 defense. I thought he would add some blitz packages to the Schwartz D. 

I never thought but that Rex would bring in his own D, dismantling our #4 D in the process.   It's the reason I was opposed to the hire.

I was just persuaded he would be more successful in the defensive remodel than he proved.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That WC game was good weather.  Cold but little wind or precipitation.

If you sat through the ‘08 Giants game to the very end and still prefer open air I’ll take your opinion seriously.

Gee Doc, I'm sorry it wasn't cold enough to meet your regulatory requirements. You completely missed the point anyway. 

I pounded the board here that Von Miller was NEVER going to amount to anything in the NFL since he was too small to generate a pass rush against NFL LTs. That's my worst one.

Runner-up goes to wanting Geno Smith in 2013. But in fairness, I was picking out of a complete pile of garbage QB class, and out of all of them, Smith is still in the NFL and even started games last year (yeah, it's a low bar but I'm grasping for anything here, haha).

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

We just got the best defensive end in the league, Mario Williams.

For his performance the first 2-3 seasons, you weren't wrong. Dude was a force outside, especially in Schwartz's defense. Rex ruined him.

• Like (+1) 2

In no particular order:

1. I thought Robert Woods would be not any better after leaving the Bills.

2. I thought Bills should get Noah Fant because he would be a generational-type of TE player

3. I thought the Bills should move on from McDermott even this year. Still, I do believe he is both very overrated and underrated as a coach by fans on TSW.

4. I thought the trade up for Zay Jones was a great move.

5. I believed Peterman would be a solid backup and that John Wendling would be a Steve Tasker-type player because of his freakish athleticism.

No doubt many more, but these are among the most egregious.

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1) I was a huge Tom Donahoe fan

Tom Donahoe WAS a good hire but being in power changed him and he refused to listen even to some of the people who he brought in.

When fans made him target of their ire rather than going with Levy's motto he decided to try to silence those targeting him.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Brian Brohm has Tom Brady like qualities.

I never felt he had ability to be the GOAT Cheater but maybe that is just me.

5 hours ago, eball said:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

The bolded ones are mine.  

I even read Collision Low Crossers - the book about the Jets - and put the book down thinking Rex was much smarter and wiser than his buffoonish reputation. 

I was wrong.  

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

We drafted the wrong Josh. 

Too few people willing to own up to that one!

Edited by hondo in seattle

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.