In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

41 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am also a homer. I still even look back at those drought rosters and think, “man, this seems like a good team.” I also had the same pro-RJ and pro-Kelsey views as you, so I won’t repeat them. 

for me:

1) I was a huge Tom Donahoe fan

2) I was also a big Chan Gailey fan

3) Approved of letting Winfield and Pat Williams walk.

4) Non-Bills take: Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning

I was a huge Donahoe fane when he first got here but immediately hated him at first news of signing that washed-up Lawyer Milloy and I knew immediately it meant we would lose Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield and I absolutely hated that trade. Winfield in just four years, is still one of my favorite Bills of all-time and PW was a winner. I can’t Billieve he made that move….Just insane. Did someone pay him to wreck the Bills? I wonder.

I still am a Chan Gailey fan. He made our OL respectable for the first time since Kelly. He ran a good offense. He’s a good OC.

Oops! I just saw three, sorry.

My brother was a huge Ryan Leaf fan. I did not watch college that year much… Maybe I was slightly good at admitting I knew nothing often? Like with Leaf. I just said, I have no idea. That’s how I was mostly with Allen but I recognized his vast potential just seeing college film and his combine and I tend to support Bills even though I turned my TV off after we failed to trade up for Rothlesburger….Also laughed at Donte Whitner pick when that giant DT the ravens took was still on board (just awful Bills moves.)

I love super tackles and Ted Washington is my second favorite Bill (but Allen is closing fast!).

My brothers laugh at me for thinking the Bills are going to do better than most think, but I got them since McD was hired anyway…

Without question, the topic I was committed to and totally wrong about was thinking CJ Spiller could be a full time RB after he had over 2000+ total yards the year before.  Wasn't so much a "hot take" though, I mean he did put up 2000+ yards with over 6 YPC, so it was more an entire offseason take lmao.  

Yeah nope.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I was a huge Donahoe fane when he first got here but immediately hated him at first news of signing that washed-up Lawyer Milloy and I knew immediately it meant we would lose Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield and I absolutely hated that trade. Winfield in just four years, is still one of my favorite Bills of all-time and PW was a winner. I can’t Billieve he made that move….Just insane. Did someone pay him to wreck the Bills? I wonder.

I still am a Chan Gailey fan. He made our OL respectable for the first time since Kelly. He ran a good offense. He’s a good OC.

Oops! I just saw three, sorry.

My brother was a huge Ryan Leaf fan. I did not watch college that year much… Maybe I was slightly good at admitting I knew nothing often? Like with Leaf. I just said, I have no idea. That’s how I was mostly with Allen but I recognized his vast potential just seeing college film and his combine and I tend to support Bills even though I turned my TV off after we failed to trade up for Rothlesburger….Also laughed at Donte Whitner pick when that giant DT the ravens took was still on board (just awful Bills moves.)

I love super tackles and Ted Washington is my second favorite Bill (but Allen is closing fast!).

My brothers laugh at me for thinking the Bills are going to do better than most think, but I got them since McD was hired anyway…

re winfield, I was okay with it at the time. My reasoning was that the Bills could only pay one good corner and I thought Clements was better. But after that move, AW played at a high level and Clements declined. 

Re Pat Williams, I came to terms with it because I remember hearing that we tried to re-sign him, but he left for more money. I just suspect now we could have gotten it done if we really wanted to. Of course, he also went onto have additional productive years. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

Oh, boy. Many. 

I, too, fooled myself about the Rex Ryan hire, though I claim the "talked into that POV by a guy in a Gold Jacket" mulligan for that one

I thought Tyrod Taylor could play QB well enough to get us to the playoffs.  I was right about that, kind of - if only the D under Ryan had done their part.

I thought Ryan Fitzpatrick could improve his completion %, decrease his INT, and become our franchise QB.    Well, he did both - but not here, and not consistently enough to become The Man somewhere else.

I have several but I post a mix of what I would do and what I think the organization will do.

Silliest I didn't do my research well enough on Henry's foot injury. I'm a cardiologist and should have done more research  about his foot injury. 

Criticized McDermott handling of Marcell Dareus. I thought the organization was giving up on a guy that could have been great. He was playing at an incredible level prior to signing his extension.  I thought McD's scheme and coaching was holding him back. Turns out he just was a lazy fat bastard.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

Mine infamously was believing drafting Josh would torpedo a to that point promising regime. 

I am trying to think of other embarrassing hot takes.... I mean I generally don't have too many. I am sure you can churn up a few up in game day threads but I make a disclaimer at the start of every season that the GDT is the one place I cannot be relied upon to have a mature or considered view on. 

If you want other Bills specific things I was just wrong on:

- I liked the Shaq Lawson pick;

- I quite liked the Tyler Kroft signing;

- I thought the trade for Mike Williams form the Buccs was inspired!

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I've always been right on everything.

It’s hard being perfect, isn’t it?

29 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I was probably way too optimistic about Trent Edwards being the long term answer at QB.

I am guilty of this. I still say he had the talent but lost the drive when he was knocked out in the Cards game. 

46 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I was probably way too optimistic about Trent Edwards being the long term answer at QB.

This. I remember him hitting a beautiful 30+ yard dime to the left and thinking, “ Wow, he’s gonna be special.”

And…… I was legit Happy they started Nate Peterman. I thought, for sure, he was going to expose TT for the mistake he had been all season😳….. oooof

Edited by Buffalo Boy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.