In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The bolded ones are mine.  

I even read Collision Low Crossers - the book about the Jets - and put the book down thinking Rex was much smarter and wiser than his buffoonish reputation. 

I was wrong.  

Too few people willing to own up to that one!

Oh *****....I thought it was the worst hot take. Not my own hot take. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

TSW is bastion of intelligent football talk. 

• Haha (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I was in the "Don't pay Jason Peters" camp. And then he turned out to be a generational talent at LT. 

But being fair, who was he really protecting in Buffalo? Losman? Brian Brohm? 

Vick?  Foles? Sanchez? Bradford? Wentz?

I also once made the argument that a team didn’t need an elite quarterback to win a super bowl just a top defense. I cited the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers as proof. Those were obviously the exceptions and not the rule. I also didn’t realize the Brady effect where the league was going to make so much as farting 3 feet from a QB a penalty.

I wanted Matt Barkley back in whatever year's draft that was. Funny he later became our backup.

I wanted Josh Rosen. I was vocal against Josh Allen before we picked him.

I talked myself into the Rex Ryan hire, even though I hated it at first. I should have stayed with my original opinion.

56 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Edited by MJS

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For his performance the first 2-3 seasons, you weren't wrong. Dude was a force outside, especially in Schwartz's defense. Rex ruined him.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are mentioning Mario Williams. He was elite in Buffalo. He is also the last elite pass rusher we had. Too bad we don't have a guy like that now. He really hated playing for Rex Ryan, and who can blame him?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wanted Hue Jackson to replace Marrone.

I was on that train too. My history on wanting coaches was, until the last cycle, not great. 

I wanted Shanahan Snr when we hired Chan (he bombed out in Washington);

I wanted Lovie Smith when we hired Marrone (he bombed out in Tampa);

I wanted Hue when we hired Rex (he bombed out in Cleveland);

However, I was always anti Rex and by the London game his first year I wanted him fired. I decided that this going for coaches on the 2nd time around was not the answer so I started looking at coordinators around the NFL. Who was producing results? Who was running modern schemes? I narrowed it down to about half a dozen names and then I went to the websites of those teams and started watching video of them in pressers and in bits for the team media channels. 

My conclusion was we should make Rex Ryan a one and done coach and hire the Panthers Defensive Coordinator, one Sean McDermott. I had to wait a year, but it was worth it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.