In hindsight, what’s your worst “hot take” on TSW ever?

eball

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

Here are a few I’m not particularly proud of:

I wanted Rob Johnson to play over Flutie.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

I didn’t think Russ Brandon was a tool.

I blamed Overdorf for Ralph’s cheapness.

I defended Chris Kelsay way more than he deserved.

I loved the trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

I fooled myself into thinking Rex Ryan was a good hire.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

• Like (+1) 9

I remember wanting Rosen because I thought he had the highest skillset of the four and wasn’t all potential like Allen, who I thought was a QB who had struggled against every Power 5 program. My comment was “it’s like having JP Losman and Aaron Rodgers in the same draft and we go for Losman.” 😂

• Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Hey, it’s the offseason, and since we now actually have a team it’s fun to root for it’s easier to look back at the drought era and reflect.

Feel free to come in here and remind us all of your worst takes on the Bills during the drought years.  What were you so sure of that was proven to be absolutely wrong?

I’ll start.  I’m a self-professed homer so even through the drought years I was always looking for the silver lining…but that’s what fans do.

I was excited when Marv was brought back as GM and thought he would right the ship.

Those are the big ones.  I’ve rooted for sub-par players but I think that’s just fandom.

What say you?

i am also a homer. I still even look back at those drought rosters and think, “man, this seems like a good team.” I also had the same pro-RJ and pro-Kelsey views as you, so I won’t repeat them. 

for me:

1) I was a huge Tom Donahoe fan

2) I was also a big Chan Gailey fan

3) Approved of letting Winfield and Pat Williams walk.

4) Non-Bills take: Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning

23 minutes ago, eball said:

What say you?

Out of your list there I only rooted for Johnson but I still stand by it to this day.

But I rooted for Rex when he initially got here because he was the Bills coach, it didn’t take long at all to know he should go.

I was open-minded on Allen because, you know, I didn’t know. It didn’t take long for me to realize what we got with him. He is like Bruce Smith, the best at his position, he just plays QB.

My biggest mistake was thinking the Bills team after Fitzpatrick signed his contract and our defense just signed Super and we had Jerry, Dareus and Kyle, backed by decent players, I think if I wasn’t married that I would have bet a very large sum of money that that team would makes the playoffs. I thought we would kill the jets in week one and Rex’s team beat us by around 40. Mario the Bills hid he had a bad wrist and was completely ineffective and Kyle went out for the year. And we had this other end, Anderson from the bears, and he got hurt in that game out for the year and Fitz threw to the opposition and ***** his pants. I couldn’t Billieve it, I was crushed. Maybe it 2013? I finally block the whole Billsian event a little bit. The Bills whole season sucked and I’m still mad about the Bills lying about Super and Kyle…hiding their injuries….Ughh! What an awful memory but I guess, it could have been a whole lot worse if I put that bet in. I advise not to bet on football because that wasn’t the only game I was completely mystified by the results. It happens all the time….

But that is why I hope Mr. McBeane tries to really go for it if he thinks he is close enough. You really need a Super Team to make through the season, the playoffs and to win that Super Bowl. So many things can weaken you. And in the end, Cincy almost won that game after Bailey went out. Could you imagine Bills fans criticizing Leslie about letting Cupp run all over the field, Willy-Billy once Bailey was injured? How did Cincy not double teamCupp every play? Beats me? But anyway, defense won the game yet again, defense usually wins the Super Bowl. As Aaron Donald just took over and got them the game.

Thats the NFL’s biggest fallacy. That it is just about offense now. That’s never been true, maybe for a few weeks in the regular season,but once the playoffs start, you better have a good defense to win it all.

Go Bills!y

I wasn't all in for Allen because he was touted as a project and I thought from a QB coaching stand point our coaching staff was not equipped to handle that.  I didn't see Daboll coming in here and having as much success as he did.  Dennison was so bad I wasn't against getting rid of him but I wasn't sure Daboll was the answer.  All of that was theoretical and luckily Allen has been great and Daboll's time here was very successful.   Flip side of that, I thought Zay Jones was going to be our Cooper Kupp.  They were both great in the Senior Bowl.  Both had good size and seemed like great route runners and pass catchers.  Zay may put it all together some day but he was for the most part a mess here.

its historic, its intrinsic, we were all on board with moves like Kay Stepheson for Chuck Knox and Hank Bullough for Kay, Wade for Marv, Greg Williams as well

Not much love for Dick Jauron, must be the name...and another mediocre coaching record prior to be hired

But I recall my dad hating the Marv Levy hire as another one of the above

I also remember the days of yesteryear when Lou Saban would move RBs to LB - Bo Cornell

WRs to DB - Ike Harrison

and DLs to OL and vice versa

all within the confines of training camp

He did get OJ to 2,000 yards and Joe D to the HOF, and the Bills to one playoff

imagine how much we would flame and debate these kind of moves nowadays

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.