A nice prospect to groom if Feliciano gets the boot.

Tipster19

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Dawkins and Brown are both under contract Long Term. Both have earned their starting positions, Dawkins at a Pro Bowl level and Brown showing he was way ahead of schedule and has room for growth. Drafting an OT in Round 1 makes no sense. 

Again, hoping they can get Williams back cheap.

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Dawkins and Brown are both under contract Long Term. Both have earned their starting positions, Dawkins at a Pro Bowl level and Brown showing he was way ahead of schedule and has room for growth. Drafting an OT in Round 1 makes no sense. 

If Trevor Pennings gets to them they would be mad not to think about drafting him. Work out who plays where later. The guys has all pro left tackle potential. You don't pass on those guys just because it is not your number 1 need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Trevor Pennings gets to them they would be mad not to think about drafting him. Work out who plays where later. The guys has all pro left tackle potential. You don't pass on those guys just because it is not your number 1 need.

There's only two starting Tackle positions on the team. We already have a Starting Left Tackle we're paying Long Term who was a Pro Bowl player last season. We have a Right Tackle who had a very good rookie season and has room for growth that we have for 3 more seasons. There's only 2 Starting positions. So we move a very good player we spent a Day 2 pick on last season to the pine for Penning?

Meanwhile we have Dane Jackson at CB2, who we'll ask to play CB1 with Tre out and have Cam Lewis on the other side. We need another RB with Singletary (as Duke and Moss are fighting for #3) and Singletary's on the last year of his deal. We're down a WR from last season, Crowder's on a one year deal, and we're one injury away on the outside from having to start Jake Kumerow. And on top of Singletary and Crowder, TE Dawson Knox, LB Tremaine Edmunds, S Jordan Poyer, and OG Rodger Saffold are all FA's next season and we're going to have to replace some of them.

Upgrading a position that doesn't need upgrading with all of that going on is absolutely ridiculous. I get BPA. But it's BPA at a position of need, at absolute most within the coming year or two. There's a MYRIAD of positions that fit that role. Offensive Tackle is not one of them.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's only two starting Tackle positions on the team. We already have a Starting Left Tackle we're paying Long Term who was a Pro Bowl player last season. We have a Right Tackle who had a very good rookie season and has room for growth that we have for 3 more seasons. There's only 2 Starting positions. So we move a very good player we spent a Day 2 pick on last season to the pine for Penning?

Meanwhile we have Dane Jackson at CB2, who we'll ask to play CB1 with Tre out and have Cam Lewis on the other side. We need another RB with Singletary (as Duke and Moss are fighting for #3) and Singletary's on the last year of his deal. We're down a WR from last season, Crowder's on a one year deal, and we're one injury away on the outside from having to start Jake Kumerow. And on top of Singletary and Crowder, TE Dawson Knox, LB Tremaine Edmunds, S Jordan Poyer, and OG Rodger Saffold are all FA's next season and we're going to have to replace some of them.

Upgrading a position that doesn't need upgrading with all of that going on is absolutely ridiculous. I get BPA. But it's BPA at a position of need, at absolute most within the coming year or two. There's a MYRIAD of positions that fit that role. Offensive Tackle is not one of them.

Our offensive line was the worst unit on the team last year. And it wasn't close. You don't pass on a top end left tackle prospect. Work out who plays where later. A line of Penning - Dawkins - Morse - Saffold - Brown for example would instantly take the Bills oline from weakness to strength.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Our offensive line was the worst unit on the team last year. And it wasn't close. You don't pass on a top end left tackle prospect. Work out who plays where later. A line of Penning - Dawkins - Morse - Saffold - Brown for example would instantly take the Bills oline from weakness to strength.

It wasn't after we added Ryan Bates to the equation. We had one of the best rushing teams in terms of production down the stretch. And that was without a Pro Bowl Guard on the other side, which we have now in Saffold. We also matched a long term multi-million dollar contract offer to Bates to be a Starter. He's not being moved to the bench. It wouldn't be in line with the way Beane team builds to take that away from him and pay him millions to be on the bench. Starting Offensive Lineman play 100% or very close to it every game. Spencer Brown would be riding the pine. Especially when you consider it's not a guarantee that just because you're a good Tackle that you'll be good on the Inside.

The Line has been upgraded already. Of all of those positions I mentioned above where help is needed right now or by next year, there will be a comparable prospect to Penning. And you could add Defensive Tackle to the equation as well as a position that would be more utilized now and could be needed with Jordan Phillips on a 1 year deal. Even Defensive End with the amount they're rotated and Shaq Lawson being on a one year deal and us being a body short there from last season. I wouldn't do either of those either, but those are two other positions to add to the large list that would be more needed and make more sense than an OT. 

There's a reason why you never see OT mocked to the Bills. You see CB, WR, OG, RB, sometimes DT, or LB. It's because OT is set and set for years to come.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It wasn't after we added Ryan Bates to the equation. We had one of the best rushing teams in terms of production down the stretch. And that was without a Pro Bowl Guard on the other side, which we have now in Saffold. We also matched a long term multi-million dollar contract offer to Bates to be a Starter. He's not being moved to the bench. It wouldn't be in line with the way Beane team builds to take that away from him and pay him millions to be on the bench. Starting Offensive Lineman play 100% or very close to it every game. Spencer Brown would be riding the pine. Especially when you consider it's not a guarantee that just because you're a good Tackle that you'll be good on the Inside.

The Line has been upgraded already. Of all of those positions I mentioned above where help is needed right now or by next year, there will be a comparable prospect to Penning. And you could add Defensive Tackle to the equation as well as a position that would be more utilized now and could be needed with Jordan Phillips on a 1 year deal. Even Defensive End with the amount they're rotated and Shaq Lawson being on a one year deal and us being a body short there from last season. I wouldn't do either of those either, but those are two other positions to add to the large list that would be more needed and make more sense than an OT. 

I see where they are on the line very differently. They have brought back a versatile career backup and are now pencilling him in as a starter on the basis of 6 serviceable games (and he was serviceable, steady, not spectacular). I am pleased they have done that, glad he is back but it doesn't mean he is definitely the answer. They have added a declining vet who has struggled in pass pro his entire career. They have a 2nd year right tackle who did reasonably well for a rookie but still has a lot of work to do in pass pro. Oh and Dion, the one truly high level player on the line came back overweight last year, then had covid and really didn't play his best until the stretch run (Dion's form was the main reason the oline improved IMO). And their depth is Greg Mancz, Tommy Doyle, Bobby freaking Hart and, if they are lucky, Ike Boettger by Thanksgiving. 

Brandon Beane said the number 1 priority was protect Josh Allen. If you get a chance to draft a top line tackle prospect you do it. You protect Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see where they are on the line very differently. They have brought back a versatile career backup and are now pencilling him in as a starter on the basis of 6 serviceable games (and he was serviceable, steady, not spectacular). I am pleased they have done that, glad he is back but it doesn't mean he is definitely the answer. They have added a declining vet who has struggled in pass pro his entire career. They have a 2nd year right tackle who did reasonably well for a rookie but still has a lot of work to do in pass pro. Oh and Dion, the one truly high level player on the line came back overweight last year, then had covid and really didn't play his best until the stretch run (Dion's form was the main reason the oline improved IMO). And their depth is Greg Mancz, Tommy Doyle, Bobby freaking Hart and, if they are lucky, Ike Boettger by Thanksgiving. 

Brandon Beane said the number 1 priority was protect Josh Allen. If you get a chance to draft a top line tackle prospect you do it. You protect Josh Allen. 

Yeah. So you improve your depth at OL in middle rounds. I'm not saying you don't draft a Lineman in this Draft. I am saying the starting line is set. You didn't sign Saffold and Bates to the money he paid to sit them. You don't bring guys in and tell them they're going to start and then say "whoops, sorry bud, I lied". You don't take a guy on Day 2, make him a Starter at RT (where he performed better than you're giving him credit for btw) and then just replace them.

You think I'm wrong. I think you're wrong. We should probably just agree to disagree. Nothing you've said makes me think you draft an OT in Round 1 and I'm sure nothing I've said makes you think you don't. If he's truly the surefire All-Pro Tackle you think he is, he won't be there at 25 anyways. 

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah. So you improve your depth at OL in middle rounds. I'm not saying you don't draft a Lineman in this Draft. I am saying the starting line is set. You didn't sign Saffold and Bates to the money he paid to sit them. You don't bring guys in and tell them they're going to start and then say "whoops, sorry bud, I lied". You don't take a guy on Day 2, make him a Starter at RT (where he performed better than you're giving him credit for btw) and then just replace them.

You think I'm wrong. I think you're wrong. We should probably just agree to disagree. Nothing you've said makes me think you draft an OT in Round 1 and I'm sure nothing I've said makes you think you don't. If he's truly the surefire All-Pro Tackle you think he is, he won't be there at 25 anyways. 

He won't be there at #25. That is pretty much a guarantee. But if he is the Bills shouldn't pass on him because they have Roger Saffold, Ryan Bates and Spencer Brown (who did not play better than I am giving him credit for). That would be utter madness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ya Digg? said:

Yeah but he has tattoos and stuff and his play is barely average, so you know....he's tough and stuff

lol say that to his face 🙂 Snarky~~~Im kidding I wouldnt mess with him. Besides that his taste in pizza sucks so there is that.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, Seoulofstone said:

Betting on traits. Allen, Edmunds, Knox, Brown. It’s why it’s foolish to dismiss the idea that the Bills might like Tariq Woolen.

I personally think guys like Tariq Woolen and Troy Anderson are the type of players Beane and McD both like. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.