Would Ya? Sam Darnold Edition?

Virgil

For clarity, this is based off absolutely nothing besides their known relationship and assumed cuts.

If Sam Darnold gets cut by the Panthers and Fitz doesn't want to come back (my personal hope), how would you feel about the Bills bringing in Darnold as Josh's back-up.  They are known to be great friends and train together with Palmer.  I can't imagine that anyone is going to pay Darnold much of anything on his next contract after being given the keys to the kingdom twice.

Now, I haven't really seen anything of Darnold to believe he can turn his career around, but he does have the proper tools.  He was mentally broken for the Jets and a few years of building his confidence back up could be helpful.  Also, in spot Duty, maybe he could put some games together.

On a side note, think of the fact that we could have Rosen, Josh, and Darnold all on this roster together if we really wanted to.  Hell, even Baker after this season.  It's crazy how that all turned out.

**Edit - His contract is guaranteed this season.  So this wouldn't be until 2023, which makes it all very doubtful

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

He requires a lot more work than Mitchell Trubisky so only way I'd like it is if it was a multi-year low value contract.

Bills need to invest in other parts of team and I do not think he is worth as much as Trubisky was.

He gets stability and a chance to show he has improved in games where Bills are comfortably in lead he can be inserted in.

Now if Allen wants to kickback some of his salary to help pay for him his salary could be a bit more.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Panthers pry aren't cutting him.  If they did I'd definitely be interested.

For the cap experts out there......if we were to float a 6th round pick for Darnold could the Panthers pay out his entire guaranteed 5th year option?

Nope. The option is fully payable by the team he plays for unless the Panthers cut him (in which case they pay it even if he plays for someone else) or he renegotiates his deal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. The option is fully payable by the team he plays for unless the Panthers cut him (in which case they pay it even if he plays for someone else) or he renegotiates his deal. 

Thanks.  I thought the Panthers could just convert most of his guaranteed salary into a signing bonus and the new team would only have to pay the veteran minimum.  Why they picked up the 5th year option in the first place is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Thanks.  I thought the Panthers could just convert most of his guaranteed salary into a signing bonus and the new team would only have to pay the veteran minimum.  Why they picked up the 5th year option in the first place is beyond me.

So technically they could offer him a new contract, 1 year in length, of the same value as the option and totally guaranteed but with a different structure. He would have to sign that though. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Panthers are kind of stuck with him. They will have to pay $18 million if they keep or cut him. 

Couldn't Darnold negotiate with them to release him if he didn't get paid....The Panthers will take a 18M Cap hit...but won't pay 18M tp him and Darnold will get his freedom.  Of course, Darnold could collect the 18M and then walk in FA....

Coming here as a backup to JA, I don't see how Darnold will be willing to give up 18M.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So technically they could offer him a new contract, 1 year in length, of the same value as the option and totally guaranteed but with a different structure. He would have to sign that though. 

Darnold basically holds all the leverage then.  There's no reason for him to take a new contract that pays him below 18.9m next year.  My guess is the Panthers draft a rookie and Darnold is their starter while the rookie learns.

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Couldn't Darnold negotiate with them to release him if he didn't get paid....The Panthers will take a 18M Cap hit...but won't pay 18M tp him and Darnold will get his freedom.  Of course, Darnold could collect the 18M and then walk in FA....

Coming here as a backup to JA, I don't see how Darnold will be willing to give up 18M.

They could release him but he's not giving up money and the Panthers have to pay either way.

I think it's possible they just cut their ties if they can find another starter but I doubt it. They probably go with Darnold and a rookie.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Panthers pry aren't cutting him.  If they did I'd definitely be interested.

For the cap experts out there......if we were to float a 6th round pick for Darnold could the Panthers pay out his entire guaranteed 5th year option?

yeah if they cut him, we sign him for whatever we want.  that is the attraction.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.