The Price Of Keeping Dawson Knox

H2o

16 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

__________ is average to me.  Doesn't have great hands, and not overly big.  Also doesn't run great routes.

This view is something that has seemed popular on the board the last few years.  Every new TE to the team (whether by draft, trade, or FA) is hoped and hyped to be the Second Coming.  By the middle of the first season, a couple of bad drops and the mob says "give us Barabbas, if he's got good hands!"

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Then you're looking at Kelce/Kittle money.  At least 15 million a year.  Pry more adjusted for inflation. 

If you're Knox right now and Beane offers you a three year 29.5 million dollar extension (8m average annual for the next four years), do you take it?

If I am Knox I absolutely take that. If i am the Bills i worry about the cap hit in the final two years of the deal if this last season ends up being Knox's best statistical season. 80 catches and 1000 yards is a BAD season for Kelce. It would be a career year by a country mile for Knox. Knox is going to need to go for around 100 and 1200 if he is to earn a 15+ million dollar deal i would think. 

I think people are letting the TD's cloud their judgment. I would have much prefeed a 80 catch 900 yard 4 TD season from Knox over his 50 600 yard 9 TD season. I'm not against a contract extension now. Just think it should be pretty favorable for the Bills side given Knox's lack of production in three years and his best statistic was TD's which isn't all that sustainable and often more a product of a good play call or scheme. 

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

A heartbreaking drama of a family torn apart by a troubled teen's lack of judgment and bad decisions.

They're willing to fight to keep the family together, but at what cost?

LOL this is perfect. Film at 11

....and as far as wether or not to pay the man Of Course Pay The Man! This guy has proven himself to me. Why create a hole that is being filled more than nicely by him already. Lets not go backwards people ya know?

plus who will I crush on if he leaves......:flirt:.....lol-m

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Average year?" No way. You look at his TDs, his blocking and how young he is and that year was in no way average. It was a very good year.YPC

For TE's he was 12th in receiving yards, 18th in receptions, 12th in YPC and tied for 1st in TD's. The TD's certainly put him over the top of average. But the other three metrics are very much in the range of average if we consider average to be 16th. 

I do agree it was a great year in the development of Knox. He took a huge jump. And if he takes a similar jump from year 3 to year 4 he'll be worth every penny on a new contract extension should he get one this off-season. I'm just uncertain he takes another huge jump. 

2 hours ago, Beerball said:

I'm extremely "meh" on Knox.  Some spectacular catches, some head shaking drops, but most importantly, some games where you don't know he's on the field.  

See, never should have let this guy get away.  You always knew when he was on the field.

image.thumb.jpeg.afa5b63ff26fd7c7c981d4c25f0e3849.jpeg

15 hours ago, syhuang said:

The stat I replied to is definitely the one you brought up. In case you forgot, the stat I responded to is this one you wrote: "There were 15 TE's who caught 0ver 70% of their targets last year.  Knox wasn't one of them."

Anyway, the point is that stats are easy to manipulate to make the point people want to make.

You can also choose arbitrary thresholds like "70% of targets."  Knox was at 69%, big whoop.  But what does that mean when his drop% (which has more or less halved each season in the league) was just 5.6?

And funny how TDs weren't mentioned, but in college, his lack of them was such a huge deal. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

The comments I read (including Siran Neal) about NOT paying our players crack me up. Some on this board want 22 All Pros playing on rookie contacts. Beane has built a solid draft, development and pay program and the Bills team is constructed for long term success. Knox showed is his ceiling from day one. Since, he has steadily and consistently improved toward reaching that ceiling. Lock him up. I am sure Beane will find the number that works for the team and the player.

Good signing with Neal. Good signing last year with Dawkins, Tre, Josh and Taron Johnson. Now it is Knox's time. We now have been a top AFC team for two years and will be for the foreseeable future. The plan is working.

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

But the discussion is about Knox, who, in this his best season, was 15th in yards and 18th in catches

Guess you think he's done progressing. He went to the TE University last year and graduated. He's going back to get his Master's this summer.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn’t forget.  It was mentioned several times. Scroll up

Nah, I'll take your word on it. This is what happens when I don't read the entire thread.

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So the Bills won’t back up the Brinks truck then?  Bills can also always franchise tag him too as others have said. He’s had one average year. Yes he’s trending up but $10 million per year now seems a little premature. Let’s at least get a 80 catch 1,000 yard type of season.

He's a key player in one of the most dynamic offenses in the league.  We're not going to have Diggs, Davis, and Knox all getting 1000 yard seasons, it really doesn't happen like that. He should be signed.

13 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We stand to miss the boat on a really good TE when another team makes him an offer he can’t refuse, and the Bills have to start over again, that would be so very Billsey…, 

You're correct, fans need to stop worrying about the money. Let the team do that.  Some don't want to pay our starting TE, starting center, slot receiver... who are we going to replace these guys with? mid round draft picks to save money.

I think Knox is a no brainer for Beane.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

The comments I read (including Siran Neal) about NOT paying our players crack me up. Some on this board want 22 All Pros playing on rookie contacts. Beane has built a solid draft, development and pay program and the Bills team is constructed for long term success. Knox showed is his ceiling from day one. Since, he has steadily and consistently improved toward reaching that ceiling. Lock him up. I am sure Beane will find the number that works for the team and the player.

Good signing with Neal. Good signing last year with Dawkins, Tre, Josh and Taron Johnson. Now it is Knox's time. We now have been a top AFC team for two years and will be for the foreseeable future. The plan is working.

Buffalo Bills fans are cheap.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We stand to miss the boat on a really good TE when another team makes him an offer he can’t refuse, and the Bills have to start over again, that would be so very Billsey…, 

If he has that great a year in 2022 to warrant such a huge offer from another team, the Bills will simply match it.  Why wouldn't they?

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he has that great a year in 2022 to warrant such a huge offer from another team, the Bills will simply match it.  Why wouldn't they?

Could go either way, depends on the circumstances at that time, ya roll the dice, ya take your chances, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.