The Price Of Keeping Dawson Knox

H2o

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

1. Extend/Restructure Diggs

2. Re-sign Knox this year

3. Re-sign Davis next year

There are Josh's top-3 targets for years to come. If Singletary keeps developing, or we get a new RB, that would likely be the 4th target as it is. Then you can futz around with midround picks, free agents, whatever at slot and depth. Josh will help make any of those guys look better anyways.

I like your thinking except for Davis. Gabe had a terrific second half of the season. If he has a whole season like that he’s going to get a really sizable contract. I think he is a potential star in the making.  I’d like to wrap him up now. But heck I’d like to get them all under contract, hate losing guys but I know we will. Go Bills

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Knox, Edmunds, Oliver...take your pick...

We will, likely, only be able to Keep 1 of the 3...

Last year we were saying the same thing about three FAs, yet Beane found a way to sign them all.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Knox, Edmunds, Oliver...take your pick...

We will, likely, only be able to Keep 1 of the 3...

I actually think we keep two of the three. I just don't know if it will be Edmunds or Oliver, but I'm leaning towards Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 2

He sent me a Valentine.  Sign him at all costs.  🤣

All kidding aside, we are going to have several tough decisions with our own in house talent as we move into the new world of Josh Allens contract.  Right now, I think its plausible Knox stays here long term, but if he goes out and has an even bigger year this next one, his price tag might get too big.  

I think one of the great things about Beane though is he really has been a master at contracts and managing the cap.  If his value to the team matches what we will have to pay him to keep him, I think Beane will find a way to get it done.  

But, this is another situation like I discussed about Christian Kirk.  Knox has not made much money thus far in his career.  He is a guy that likely has just 6 figures in his bank account at this stage after taxes, agents, managers, etc.  If he comes out and has an even bigger year this year...say he puts up 800+ yards and double digit TD's...then what we can probably afford and what the open market could offer him might end up being a large gap.  And thats when retaining him I think might get our of reach because the hometown discount could mean leaving a lot of money on the table.  

But truthfully, I think in this offense the way we spread the ball around with so many mouths to feed, Knox (or any TE for that matter) is more likely going to be that 400-600 yard guy and be more of a Redzone threat with 8 to 10 TD's.  If that stays true this year, then I think there is a higher probability we can keep him here as the gap may not be as big to what the open market dictates and what we can afford.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

But the discussion is about Knox, who, in this his best season, was 15th in yards and 18th in catches

And 1st in touchdowns. 

Personally I'd try and extend Dawson this offseason. If you let him get to the point where he can think about testing the market next year he goes for more than you can afford. 

The thing that doesn't show up for the "let's compare his stats" guys is that he has come on a fair bit as a blocker too. He can stay on the field in all scenarios and that helps create matchup advantages for an offense compared to a Zach Ertz or a Hunter Henry or a Mike Gesicki who might are just big slot receivers but who you have to take off the field in certain situations. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And 1st in touchdowns. 

Personally I'd try and extend Dawson this offseason. If you let him get to the point where he can think about testing the market next year he goes for more than you can afford. 

The thing that doesn't show up for the "let's compare his stats" guys is that he has come on a fair bit as a blocker too. He can stay on the field in all scenarios and that helps create matchup advantages for an offense compared to a Zach Ertz or a Hunter Henry or a Mike Gesicki who might are just big slot receivers but who you have to take off the field in certain situations. 

I agree with this, and I suspect Beane does too and wouldn't be surprised at all to see Beane at least try to this offseason (assuming they see him in their long term plans, which I suspect they do right now).  

• Like (+1) 2

There are three kinds of Tight Ends:

1.  Blocking TEs - great in the run game, will catch the rare pass here or there.   Think Lee Smith.  These guys are not hard to find.  Mid-to-late round draft picks, veteran FAs, UDFAs.

2. "Reliable" Receiving TE's - can block and also have good hands.  Make catches over the middle, usually for first downs in 3rd and medium.  Think Jessie James on the Bears/formerly of the Steelers.  Tommy Sweeney might be one of these guys, but hasn't quite developed to being consistently that.  There are lots of these guys out there and they are not hard to come by.   Mid-to-late round draft picks, veteran FAs, UDFAs.

3.  Athletic TEs - these are the next level guys that can be a primary receiving target, even down the field.  They make game-changing plays.  Guys like Kelce, Kittle, etc.  Knox is not to the level of Kelce and Kittle - two of the best ever - but he has that kind of talent and is developing into one of those guys.  These guys are higher round draft picks and are hard to come by.  The Bills have one.  Lock him up to a longer term contract now, before he prices himself out of the market.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Ah, but in the most important category he’s #2, and that’s TDs, with ten (10), and what other TE stat is more important than that?? 

What are the 49ers paying  Kittle  75 million for?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And 1st in touchdowns. 

Robert Tonyan had more TDs a year ago (11) and also had the most (tied).  He was rewarded by the Packers for that with a 3.4 million 1 year contract extension this past season.  

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

He was also 20th in targets but still made the most of them. Not his fault he was criminally underutilized in this offense.

No one gets a huge contract for being previously underutilized....

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And on this, well said.  Its exactly why Gronk will be the greatest TE in history in my book over say someone like Kelce.  Gronk was an excellent blocker and true complete TE where Kelce is more that big slot guy.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Robert Tonyan had more TDs a year ago (11) and also had the most (tied).  He was rewarded by the Packers for that with a 3.4 million 1 year contract extension this past season.  

No he wasn't. Tonyan was an RFA. Packers had total team control. Sadly for him he then tore his ACL which means what would have been a big payday this year might now not transpire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If it's Ed O, do we keep Mr. Ed, too?

I think we should keep the guy who we feel is going to give the biggest impact to the team, without breaking the bank to keep...the other two guys, we get value through trades...

And honestly, I think this is going to be Beane’s hardest test- knowing when to let go and replenish...seems to have a hard time with that...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And on this, well said.  Its exactly why Gronk will be the greatest TE in history in my book over say someone like Kelce.  Gronk was an excellent blocker and true complete TE where Kelce is more that big slot guy.  

Kelce is in my kind of in the middle category. He is a pass catcher but who can block a bit. He isn't an all round guy like Gronk and Kittle though... or like Witten in his prime, but he is also isn't just a big slot receiver like Ertz and Gesicki or Jimmy Graham in his prime who are liabilities as blockers and frankly I don't consider those guys tight ends at all. They only are in name. Agree totally on Gronk. He is the best I have seen. 

• Agree 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I think we should keep the guy who we feel is going to give the biggest impact to the team, without breaking the bank to keep...the other two guys, we get value through trades...

So if you deal Ed O, sell the potential of horseback rides as a + in the negotiations.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.