The Price Of Keeping Dawson Knox

H2o

Stumbled across this article today

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/25/panthers-agree-to-three-year-contract-with-ian-thomas/

Carolina announced on Friday that the club has agreed to terms on a three-year contract with tight end Ian Thomas. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, the deal is worth $16.5 million with $8 million fully guaranteed. He’ll receive $6.435 million in cash in the first year of the contract.

Here are his career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomIa00.htm

Not overly impressive to say the least, but the Panthers just gave this guy around $5.5M per season with $8M guaranteed. Hell, even Logan Thomas is getting $8m+ from the Commanders. 

This immediately made me think of what the cost is going to be to keep Dawson Knox if he's going to push for an actual Market Value, and not a team friendly deal. And, I mean, what do you do really? He's one of Josh's best friends and favorite targets on the team. Here are his stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KnoxDa00.htm . He battled through some injuries in year two, but really came on last season. Here's a look at the top TE contracts below. Knox is playing himself into that $10.5M and up per season range, especially if he takes another step forward from this past year. 

image.thumb.png.b0ebc242472bdb04750b4b6f25cac178.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All we can hope for is the Josh Allen discount.

He actually might be getting the Josh Allen Bonus if he leaves as a free agent!

Knox numbers wouldn’t be as good if he had a lesser QB throwing him the ball...I’m sure he realizes this, and hopefully takes the “discount” you’re talking about.

• Like (+1) 2

There is a noisy group of cheap azs fans on this board, they want above average to elite talent, but complain about the cost to have what they want, its kinda funny, for me, I don’t care who gets paid what, it ain’t my money.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’d say someone will pay him minimum what hooper got….more likely what Henry/Jonnu got.  Ugh.  He’s much better than both of those guys imo.  Sucks that the price tag for decent player is so high.  

Just now, Don Otreply said:

There is a noisy group of cheap azs fans on this board, they want above average to elite talent, but complain about the cost to have what they want, its kinda funny, for me, I don’t care who gets paid what, it ain’t my money.

Go Bills!!!

I don’t think it’s so much about being cheap as it is about breaking the the situation and talking about it.  Lots of players get overpaid.  Lots of these overpaid contracts turn into obstacles that can prevent teams from making other moves and keeping them from winning Super Bowls.  

it ain’t my money, but it’s an important aspect of what lies ahead for our team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

A heartbreaking drama of a family torn apart by a troubled teen's lack of judgment and bad decisions.

They're willing to fight to keep the family together, but at what cost?

Young Dawson: "It's settled. I am wearing receiver's gloves!"

Dawson's father: "We didn't wear those in my  time!"

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Knox is average to me.  Doesn't have great hands, and not overly big.  Also doesn't run great routes.

His production has mostly been on depiction and scheme.  I think there are a lot of guys that Allen and play calling would make look good in the TE spot.

Look, if you want Ertz, just quit dancing around the issue and ask for Ertz. 😁

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

But the discussion is about Knox, who, in this his best season, was 15th in yards and 18th in catches

Edited by Mr. WEO

1. Extend/Restructure Diggs

2. Re-sign Knox this year

3. Re-sign Davis next year

There are Josh's top-3 targets for years to come. If Singletary keeps developing, or we get a new RB, that would likely be the 4th target as it is. Then you can futz around with midround picks, free agents, whatever at slot and depth. Josh will help make any of those guys look better anyways.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

We have been wanting a top echelon TE in Buffalo for years.  Remember the Charles Clay Experiment?  Now we have one of the best young TEs in the AFC who probably hasn't reached his ceiling yet.  The Bills need to make the investment to keep him around.   Looking at Beane's modus operandi with previous extensions, I would expect that extension will happen sooner rather than later.  The longer you wait, the more you pay.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But the discussion is about Knox, who, in this his best season, was 15th in yards and 18th in catches

Ah, but in the most important category he’s #2, and that’s TDs, with ten (10), and what other TE stat is more important than that?? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d say someone will pay him minimum what hooper got….more likely what Henry/Jonnu got.  Ugh.  He’s much better than both of those guys imo.  Sucks that the price tag for decent player is so high.  

I don’t think it’s so much about being cheap as it is about breaking the the situation and talking about it.  Lots of players get overpaid.  Lots of these overpaid contracts turn into obstacles that can prevent teams from making other moves and keeping them from winning Super Bowls.  

it ain’t my money, but it’s an important aspect of what lies ahead for our team. 

That has a bunch of truth to it, but the only reason we are in a crunch financially is Covid, it is not Beane’s contracts,  it’s not like any team knew that Covid and it’s consequences were coming, frankly, I trust Beane to navigate through this in an intelligent manor, I’m not the least bit concerned. I may be pissed off later, 😂, but not at present…, 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.