Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Average MLB that never comes off the field? People fail to understand this. We have a 6'5 250 lb MLB that never comes off the field for a defense that has been good for many years.

Yep, average MLB that is out there every down.   

Nobody fails to understand this.........what you fail to understand apparently is that the NFL as a whole plays base nickel now.

A LOT of teams play 2 LB sets where both LB's are on the field all the time.

If anything,  the fact that that he plays so many snaps only magnifies just how few plays he makes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Basically you're trashing the entire defense. 

I think it maybe the way that Leslie is calling the defense, it seems way to conservative at times and the real good Qbs and typically pick it apart. We have had non number one defenses in that past that shut down top qbs, Schwartz defense was an example of this, and I understand we don't have the same personnel. Maybe being more aggressive with blitzes, or not playing 20 yards down the field and giving up easy 18-20 yard passes would've helped to a team that had all three timeouts, once again too conservative IMO.

Edited by billrooter

On 2/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, JaCrispy said:

Lol...Then the Bills have pretty low standards...🤣

I think they've adjusted their expectations............if he was everything they thought he would be when they used a first and second round pick to get him.........he would have been extended for top dollar a year ago.

6 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I think it maybe the way that Leslie is calling the defense, it seems way to conservative at times and the real good and typically pick it apart. We have had non number one defenses in that past that shut down top qbs, Schwartz defense was an example of this, and I understand we don't have the same personnel. Maybe being more aggressive with blitzes, or not playing 20 yards down the field and giving up easy 18-20 yard passes would've helped to a team that had all three timeouts, once again too conservative IMO.

I posted a video today of Chris Simms talking about our coverages with McDermott. It was a short comment but he says when watching film he has no idea what coverages the Bills are playing. McDermott goes on to say the players do a great job of making the game plan their own.

What I took from that is McDermott and Frazier allow the players to disguise coverages, and they do it a lot.

But here you are saying the defense is too conservative.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I posted a video today of Chris Simms talking about our coverages with McDermott. It was a short comment but he says when watching film he has no idea what coverages the Bills are playing. McDermott goes on to say the players do a great job of making the game plan their own.

What I took from that is McDermott and Frazier allow the players to disguise coverages, and they do it a lot.

But here you are saying the defense is too conservative

All defenses try an disguise coverages, how does that translate to an aggressive defense? Did you think they were aggressive against KC? It is a lot easier being aggressive against weaker qbs, maybe against good and we need to change things  that aren't working. We were much better against Brady the second half but in OT just like Machines we got carved, maybe they went to conservative, it is a balancing act.

35 minutes ago, billrooter said:

All defenses try an disguise coverages, how does that translate to an aggressive defense? Did you think they were aggressive against KC? It is a lot easier being aggressive against weaker qbs, maybe against good and we need to change things  that aren't working. We were much better against Brady the second half but in OT just like Machines we got carved, maybe they went to conservative, it is a balancing act.

I honestly can't take these conversations anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol nothing against you. I can't have conversations about how bad the defense is and why they can't shut down Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

I never said the defense was bad, only they benefited from a weak schedule and played a bunch of inferior Qb's. But I understand alot of teams did, the defense was trash the last two playoffs against Mahomes and company I understand they are very good, but other defenses have been successful against him.  I am hoping  Frazier/Mcdermott figure out what we need to do.  Hoping next year obviously the front 4 can tackle him when they pressure him or schematically we change something up. 

3 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I never said the defense was bad, only they benefited from a weak schedule and played a bunch of inferior Qb's. But I understand alot of teams did, the defense was trash the last two playoffs against Mahomes and company I understand they are very good, but other defenses have been successful against him.  I am hoping  Frazier/Mcdermott figure out what we need to do.  Hoping next year obviously the front 4 can tackle him when they pressure him or schematically we change something up. 

You know they averaged like 40 ppg vs afc teams in the playoffs?  They were dominating the Bengals and then just imploded.

It's one of those teams where we have to get some breaks against. 

I think what we need to focus on is getting Mahomes to come to Orchard Park in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Mission Accomplished, Walter Football. Six pages of Bills fans clicks. 

Next mock: "Bills need to draft a 3rd round QB because Josh Allen's play is not sustainable."

It’s a win for them, take the most polarizing play and zing him, clicks are coming.  

I agree the Bills better have a decent back up QB, won’t be through the draft tho.  

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep, average MLB that is out there every down.   

Nobody fails to understand this.........what you fail to understand apparently is that the NFL as a whole plays base nickel now.

A LOT of teams play 2 LB sets where both LB's are on the field all the time.

If anything,  the fact that that he plays so many snaps only magnifies just how few plays he makes.

If Edmunds is average (per your words), please list 15 other MLBs that are better than he is.....

I would not say he is average, Bills would have no way picked up his 5th yr option if they thought he was just average.  He's not in the class of Darius or Fred, but IMO in that next tier...again with a DL that has failed to stop the run for countless seasons and can't get to the QB (sacks, not counting this phantom pressure stat). Playmaking abilities of Milano were also not at the same clip as prior years, to me pointing to either scheme or lack of defensive pressure.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

If Edmunds is average (per your words), please list 15 other MLBs that are better than he is.....

I would not say he is average, Bills would have no way picked up his 5th yr option if they thought he was just average.  He's not in the class of Darius or Fred, but IMO in that next tier...again with a DL that has failed to stop the run for countless seasons and can't get to the QB (sacks, not counting this phantom pressure stat). Playmaking abilities of Milano were also not at the same clip as prior years, to me pointing to either scheme or lack of defensive pressure.

I've done this before..........and don't need to do it for every dick and Harry that bobs up...........since you know better, why don't YOU list the top 15 ILB/MLB's.............and make note that if you don't know the players........it will be pretty obvious if you are using pro-sports-reference to figure out what position they play.........because they are often listed WRONG.

Edmunds got passed by a number of players this year..........DeVondre Campbell, Nick Bolton, Logan Wilson and Denzell Perryman just to name a few you've probably never heard of.......3 of those guys are in the AFC.........where the pickin's at the devalued position have been slim for years which has greatly skewed perception of Edmunds to his benefit.........when he wasn't in the class of the NFC studs at the position.

When the Bills picked up his 5th year option last spring I suspect they weren't expecting him to regress this season,   which he did.   

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've done this before..........and don't need to do it for every dick and Harry that bobs up...........since you know better, why don't YOU list the top 15 ILB/MLB's.............and make note that if you don't know the players........it will be pretty obvious if you are using pro-sports-reference to figure out what position they play.........because they are often listed WRONG.

Edmunds got passed by a number of players this year..........DeVondre Campbell, Nick Bolton, Logan Wilson and Denzell Perryman just to name a few you've probably never heard of.......3 of those guys are in the AFC.........where the pickin's at the devalued position have been slim for years which has greatly skewed perception of Edmunds to his benefit.........when he wasn't in the class of the NFC studs at the position.

When the Bills picked up his 5th year option last spring I suspect they weren't expecting him to regress this season,   which he did.   

Well I'm not the one just calling him average, now am I.  Be glad to discuss the merits of the MLB position, I find it funny your first comment is to question my knowledge.  Some original message board stuff right there.

Nick Bolton and Denzell Perryman, seriously?  Bolton progressed well and finished strong, but was not asked to do what Edmunds does in our defense.  He is instinctive for a rookie, but has athletic limitations and isn't going to run lateral/carry the coverage zones like Tremaine does. Perryman is not a gifted coverage linebacker, he would be considered a weak link as a coverage LB by many.  Perryman is actually unlikely to resign with Raiders, due to his limitations in that regard.  There's 2 you can cross off the list.  What redeeming quality do these 2 players possess, that would prompt you to say they would be better in our defensive scheme than Edmunds?

I'm sorry you feel more educated around these parts, but Edmunds is not just an average player.  He's also not Darius or Fred, but I'd put him in the tier right after.  

We play some of the most cover 2/cover 4 looks across the league, preventing big plays.  It puts a HUGE amount of coverage responsibility on him and Milano.  Chiefs much different style, aka why the Nick Bolton comparison is horrible.  He's not near the athlete McDermott looks for (maybe Willie Gay, but not Nick).  You should try to understand our defensive philosophy, if you disagree with that..so be it.  But that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

And to your last point, did Milano not regress this season as well?  IMO, the defensive line was weak.  Corners were slow, once Tre was injured, and forced even more cover 2/cover 4 looks against most opponents...put even more burden on Edmunds and Milano in that respect.  Can't look at this in a silo, many factors influenced both of our LB play.  And plain/simple, we played some very low quality QBs this season, the high defensive rank was not sustained against high quality competition.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you've done it before, then it really shouldn't be too big of a deal to find the post where you've done it and link it here

I'll start performing for you when you start throwing me treats.

Wipe my slate clean or acknowledge that I am the all-time scoring leader in TSW history.  :beer:

42 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Well I'm not the one just calling him average, now am I.  Be glad to discuss the merits of the MLB position, I find it funny your first comment is to question my knowledge.  Some original message board stuff right there.

Nick Bolton and Denzell Perryman, seriously?  Bolton progressed well and finished strong, but was not asked to do what Edmunds does in our defense.  He is instinctive for a rookie, but has athletic limitations and isn't going to run lateral/carry the coverage zones like Tremaine does. Perryman is not a gifted coverage linebacker, he would be considered a weak link as a coverage LB by many.  Perryman is actually unlikely to resign with Raiders, due to his limitations in that regard.  There's 2 you can cross off the list.  What redeeming quality do these 2 players possess, that would prompt you to say they would be better in our defensive scheme than Edmunds?

I'm sorry you feel more educated around these parts, but Edmunds is not just an average player.  He's also not Darius or Fred, but I'd put him in the tier right after.  

We play some of the most cover 2/cover 4 looks across the league, preventing big plays.  It puts a HUGE amount of coverage responsibility on him and Milano.  Chiefs much different style, aka why the Nick Bolton comparison is horrible.  He's not near the athlete McDermott looks for (maybe Willie Gay, but not Nick).  You should try to understand our defensive philosophy, if you disagree with that..so be it.  But that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

And to your last point, did Milano not regress this season as well?  IMO, the defensive line was weak.  Corners were slow, once Tre was injured, and forced even more cover 2/cover 4 looks against most opponents...put even more burden on Edmunds and Milano in that respect.  Can't look at this in a silo, many factors influenced both of our LB play.  And plain/simple, we played some very low quality QBs this season, the high defensive rank was not sustained against high quality competition.

Blah Blah Blah...........that's a lot of yapping to avoid making a simple, ordered list.

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'll start performing for you when you start throwing me treats.

Wipe my slate clean or acknowledge that I am the all-time scoring leader in TSW history.  :beer:

Blah Blah Blah...........that's a lot of yapping to avoid making a simple, ordered list.

what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You cant be bothered to back up your own smack but fully  expect others to. I would call that...whats the word......WEAK. You type as if you are some legend or something.. You Really DO  need to get over yourself. geez.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.