Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you want to argue that he's not as good as many think, or that he's under-performing, I won't spend a lot of time arguing, though I won't disagree.

But we know that the last time they played Baltimore that they felt that they couldn't succeed with Edmunds doing what he does, that their main objective was to try to nullify Edmunds. Damond Talbot made that very clear on his interview with the Air Raid Hour here:

It's at about the 29 minute mark.

"The Ravens game plan against the Bills is try to get Tremaine Edmunds out of the play. Try to get him, by running motions try to move him out of position. Their entire game plan was to get rid of Tremaine Edmunds."

So, when you say that he's not a guy opposing teams have to account for, he very much is.

It's reached the point where you have to quote 3rd hand info from Damond Talbot of all people. :lol:

I will say this though..........Edmunds is definitely a target of opposing offenses..........because he is a player who teams have learned is easily manipulated out of position.

And for a team like Baltimore that tries to run everything between the tackles and throw the ball inside the numbers.........softening the middle of the defense is job 1 every week.    

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have finished top 3 in 3/4 years with basically the same players.

I don't understand why Bills fans are so critical of the Bills defense. We all know they can be better, but these takes are terrible.

The Bills defense is very good...........they played the 2nd worst schedule of offenses in the league in 2021 though...........so there was likely some padding of statistics.......as there was in 2018-2019...........when their yardage numbers were skewed by allowing the league's best starting field position to offenses in 2018 and a laughable schedule of QB's played in 2019.

I thought they were better than their numbers late in 2020 when Milano and Edmunds got healthy...........but they played a dynamic schedule of offenses and that's the main reason they dropped off dramatically from the statistical standpoint.

But a defense can be very good with an average MLB..........they aren't the same issue.

18 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't have problem with this for the simple fact that even if Beane knows it's time to move on and would like to try and trade him he's not to say anything negative publicly.

But on the flipside if he truly believes this it shows a clear lack of ability to evaluate talent on the defensive side of the ball and why we keep missing on crucial draft picks.

Or, you're wrong, and Beane's right.

I know that possibility might not have occurred to you. But it really has to most of the rest of the world. 

And we're a pretty damn good football team for one that according to you keeps missing on crucial draft picks. We have one of the absolute best rosters ine league, and about 13 of our starters (depending who you want to call the starters on our OL and DL) were drafted by this regime. And Diggs wasn't a bad use of a draft pick either and on top of those 13. So, nonsense. They haven't been perfect, but they've been quite good.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills defense is very good...........they played the 2nd worst schedule of offenses in the league in 2021 though...........so there was likely some padding of statistics.......as there was in 2018-2019...........when their yardage numbers were skewed by allowing the league's best starting field position to offenses in 2018 and a laughable schedule of QB's played in 2019.

I thought they were better than their numbers late in 2020 when Milano and Edmunds got healthy...........but they played a dynamic schedule of offenses and that's the main reason they dropped off dramatically from the statistical standpoint.

But a defense can be very good with an average MLB..........they aren't the same issue.

Average MLB that never comes off the field? People fail to understand this. We have a 6'5 250 lb MLB that never comes off the field for a defense that has been good for many years.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Average MLB that never comes off the field? People fail to understand this. We have a 6'5 250 lb MLB that never comes off the field for a defense that has been good for many years.

So what? Just because he is "on the field" doesnt mean he is actually contributing much.

As a matter of fact, I'd use that same statement to argue it's even worse that he has so few big plays given the amount of reps he gets.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So are you saying MLB in a Sean McDermott defense isn't important? You might be on to something if that's your argument. 

Sweet straw man to try to bolster your nonsensical argument that a player being on the field a lot means anything towards their performance.

Next!

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So what? Just because he is "on the field" doesnt mean he is actually contributing much.

As a matter of fact, I'd use that same statement to argue it's even worse that he has so few big plays given the amount of reps he gets.

Preston Brown never came off the field until we let him walk.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They were good one year out his 4 or 5 years.

Again, so what?

What is the point you are trying to make?

Without assuming, it sounds like you are saying: Since the Bills Defensive Unit has been ranked at the top as a whole, a player who is on the field a lot MUST be a top player. And since the Bills Defensive Unit back in 2014-2017 wasnt good, a player who was on the field a lot must also be not very good.

Is that close? Please clarify.

We essentially ask our MLB to be a strong safety.  That is why he doesn't appear to be the next Ray Lewis.   In this defense do you need a 13 million dollar MLB?  I'm not sure but if the coaches and the front office pay him then I'm assuming we do.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They were good one year out his 4 or 5 years.

They were good with Preston Brown every year that Rex wasn't coach (2 out of his 4 seasons) just like everyone else. 

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Again, so what?

What is the point you are trying to make?

Without assuming, it sounds like you are saying: Since the Bills Defensive Unit has been ranked at the top as a whole, a player who is on the field a lot MUST be a top player. And since the Bills Defensive Unit back in 2014-2017 wasnt good, a player who was on the field a lot must also be not very good.

Is that close? Please clarify.

Top player? No. I don't think you could put a bad player in the middle of the defense, play him every snap, and finish top 3 consistently.

My argument is never Edmunds is a top player, it's that he's an average player on a good defense. I think he's kind of like Levi Wallace. I feel pretty much the same about Wallace. Wallace plays a position where mistakes show more easily, but he's not a liability. He's just a very average player. It's possible his replacement is a bad football player.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Top player? No. I don't think you could put a bad player in the middle of the defense, play him every snap, and finish top 3 consistently.

My argument is never Edmunds is a top player, it's that he's an average player on a good defense. I think he's kind of like Levi Wallace. I feel pretty much the same about Wallace. Wallace plays a position where mistakes show more easily, but he's not a liability. He's just a very average player. It's possible his replacement is a bad football player.

This would seem to contradict your earlier statement where you were questioning the assessment that he is just an average player. Unless I'm misreading and you were actually agreeing with Badol?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This would seem to contradict your earlier statement where you were questioning the assessment that he is just an average player. Unless I'm misreading and you were actually agreeing with Badol?

Yes I was agreeing that he's average but never comes off the field.

I didn't say he was a top player. He's a physical freak. Everyone would agree.

His weakness is awareness. I think everyone would agree. People call him a liability. I wouldn't agree. I think he keeps everything simple because he's not a confident player at this time. This makes him a safe player.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes I was agreeing that he's average but never comes off the field.

I didn't say he was a top player. He's a physical freak. Everyone would agree.

His weakness is awareness. I think everyone would agree. People call him a liability. I wouldn't agree. I think he keeps everything simple because he's not a confident player at this time. This makes him a safe player.

Fair enough. I'm a little harsher on him, but not by much. I'd agree he's "average" (at best), with more weaknesses than just awareness. But we're just splitting hairs at that point.

If we could get him back at or less than Milano's money, I'm for it.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have finished top 3 in 3/4 years with basically the same players.

I don't understand why Bills fans are so critical of the Bills defense. We all know they can be better, but these takes are terrible.

These takes are are opinions, and they are terrible if you don't agree with them? The defense struggles with teams that run the ball and or have a big physical line, and and that can pick the zone apart (high level qbs) it has happened numerous times, how can it be denied? We played a very weak cast of QBs this year, thus the numbers were inflated. I think our defense is a better defense than the Bengals but, pass rush is either not consistent or we have none, and in two straight win or go home games against the chiefs we have been dismantled but yet the Bengals defense got it done.What are we lacking please explain it to me, we are the number 1 defense? I understand the Tredavious loss hurts, but we had no passes defended in the whole game. I think we have good players on the defense but maybe it gets too conservative at times?

7 minutes ago, billrooter said:

These takes are are opinions, and they are terrible if you don't agree with them? The defense struggles with teams that run the ball and or have a big physical line, and and that can pick the zone apart (high level qbs) it has happened numerous times, how can it be denied? We played a very weak cast of QBs this year, thus the numbers were inflated. I think our defense is a better defense than the Bengals but, pass rush is either not consistent or we have none, and in two straight win or go home games against the chiefs we have been dismantled but yet the Bengals defense got it done.What are we lacking please explain it to me, we are the number 1 defense? I understand the Tredavious loss hurts, but we had no passes defended in the whole game. I think we have good players on the defense but maybe it gets too conservative at times?

Basically you're trashing the entire defense. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You don't understand his job at all and insult him. This eye test stuff is proof you don't understand it when you say Klein looks better because Klein is not in the same echelon as Edmunds. As for the the pro bowl nods, I am not arguing he is the top LB in league but you are arguing he is below average and below average guys don't go to Pro Bowls. Finally as for "flying around" Edmunds and Milano cover the whole field, both are all over the place for the whole game. He is not the best LB but these takes show you don't know what his job is or think everyone less than Luke Kuechly is garbage.

Where have I ever said the guy is below averavage? I think he is average or slightly above, but he is in no way worth the money somebody is going to pay him and I just hope its not the Bills but fear it will be. I also understand that he has more responsibillity than Klein wise guy, but alot of Linebackers do and they have no problem FLYING around and making game changing plays. Tremaine looks like he's always thinking not reacting, is that the scheme doing that to him Timmy? Or is it below average instincts? I also  dont think everyone less than  Kuechly is garbage, I think Timmy needs to stop pedaling BS though.

Edited by billrooter

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.