I played 18 holes of golf today for the first time in 20 years

Draconator

20 minutes ago, Steve O said:

I play with this guy...being president of a private club that plays at a public course it was my responsibility to talk with him about it at the end of last season. We'll see soon enough if it did any good.

Is a freeway median an 'unplayable lie'?*  And does it have to be stroke and  distance? 😁
-

*Thank you, 'Tank McNamara'. 

On 2/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, Draconator said:

Shot a 124. I'm not disappointed. 

Better yet, it was my wife's first time on a golf course, ever. She did well for a rookie!

Basically triple bogey golf.  What sort of golfer were you 20 years ago?

With the new world handicap system it’s easier than ever to get a legit index…even playing 9-hole rounds.

Even if someone sucks at golf... I'm "ok" but nothing stellar... it sure is nice to get away from  the rest of the world for a few hours. Have a few beers, hang out with a bud or buddies ... golf is good.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Basically triple bogey golf.  What sort of golfer were you 20 years ago?

With the new world handicap system it’s easier than ever to get a legit index…even playing 9-hole rounds.

I would shoot in the low to mid 90's on a consistent basis 20 years ago. 

My wife and I were wondering how to figure out our handicaps. I'll look up the new system. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The key question:  did you have fun?

This is the essence of the issue. 

I was a tennis guy. Dated tennis ladies in my adult single days. My wife had spent time in her youth playing tennis. She went to camps and took lessons. But we would never be close to the same level, so it was awkward. 

In golf you don’t need someone to hit you a good ball to hit a good ball. It’s not a back and forth thing. In golf, it’s you vs the course. And, of course, your mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good for you @Draconator ! I looked at me clubs in the garage recently, the metal has got rusty. I'd have to buy new ones if I ever wanted to play again and not sure if my back would make it.  I did chip a few ice chunks with my PW though and got them in the air :lol:.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Golfing with the love of my life has made the game so much more better! My tithe of golf balls to the course Gods not-with-standing. 

The ridiculous cost of golf balls preceded the cost of “market price” chicken wings. WTF? 

I get mine online as used balls. I think it’s 80 balls per order. That gets me thru a few rounds. I may not be good, bit I am NOT slow. 

Wife gifted me  new clubs a few years ago. I got her clubs in response. We have been out 3 times, tops. 

Maybe when she stops working, but she lives to work. 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

The ridiculous cost of golf balls preceded the cost of “market price” chicken wings. WTF? 

I get mine online as used balls. I think it’s 80 balls per order. That gets me thru a few rounds. I may not be good, bit I am NOT slow. 

Wife gifted me  new clubs a few years ago. I got her clubs in response. We have been out 3 times, tops. 

Maybe when she stops working, but she lives to work. 

I really should do that. I have been ordering OnCore Elixr golf balls. My wife likes that I ordered the yellow color so she can find them easier!

We played 9 on one of Mississippi's highly ranked courses on Saturday. Much nicer than the one on Thursday. The one we played on Saturday was in Hattiesburg. 

Edited by Draconator

9 hours ago, Draconator said:

I really should do that. I have been ordering OnCore Elixr golf balls. My wife likes that I ordered the yellow color so she can find them easier!

We played 9 on one of Mississippi's highly ranked courses on Saturday. Much nicer than the one on Thursday. The one we played on Saturday was in Hattiesburg. 

I don't know where you live but you might have one of these nearby:  https://www.playitagainsports.com/home

They sell used golfballs pretty cheap... in reality, many of them have only been hit once... they are suctioned out of lakes and ponds on golf courses. Best part is that you can just go through the bin and select whatever you want.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:08 PM, T&C said:

I don't know where you live but you might have one of these nearby:  https://www.playitagainsports.com/home

They sell used golfballs pretty cheap... in reality, many of them have only been hit once... they are suctioned out of lakes and ponds on golf courses. Best part is that you can just go through the bin and select whatever you want.

They have them where I used to live. I don't think there's anymore in Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.