What the Defense is really missing...

mjt328

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bengals switched it up dropped 8, played single high. Took away Mahomes quick throws and his ability to make plays out of the pocket. 

And in this copycat league, you can be sure the Bills are looking at that performance and trying to figure out how to make that approach work with the Bills' personnel.  Of course KC knows everyone will be doing exactly that, and will be working to stay a step ahead.  

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I thought it was pretty obvious, but I’m happy to try to make it more clear. My first question was “what is your point?” He wanted to complain, just to complain, it appears. I think he knows it’s stupid to come out and say we should replace our coaches based upon how the last game ended. That feels like childish ranting. I don’t want to speak for him, but without an answer, I just have to guess. 

If you think McD “gets a pass” but you wouldn’t rule anything out if he goes one and done in the playoffs next year, I respectfully suggest you are also out of touch with reality. We have one of the most highly regarded front offices and coaching staffs in the league. Yep, things went sideways at the end, but adults who see the big picture will be making the decisions. 

Look at what you assumed in bold. You ASSUMED the playoffs! Something we missed out on for almost two decades!

Nobody is perfect, and we should all strive to learn and get better every year at everything we do. McD has earned my respect, and we are fortunate to have him. 

We assume the playoffs because of Allen not McDermott

Our defensive scheme has a really high floor, but a really low ceiling, and it works without any game breaking talent. It's why we crush bad to mediocre offenses and then can get crushed by some good offenses that adjust to our scheme, who usually have game breaking talents on offense. We play a very vanilla scheme and basically never throw in any exotic looks or blitzes or adjustments.

And when our scheme breaks, it breaks badly. I think there was a stat that we allowed something like the fewest 10+ yard runs against, but the most 20+ yard runs. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You said the guy at fault is gone… but that’s simply not true…. Like not even close to being accurate.

I said the ST Coordinator is gone, and you STILL haven’t answered my questions. 

To be fair, it all ultimately falls on the HC, and he’s accepted that. Now, what are you going to do about it? 

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Some of you deserve another 17 years of ineptitude.  It doesn’t make a difference to you.  

I just want one before I die.  Just one and rest is all gravy. I think we had one of our best shots ever minus the Norwood kick to finally do it ( yes realize getting past Cincy and rams not a given) but horrible coaching and overrated D ended it.  Hopefully Groot and Basham have breakout years next year as I think that piece and having a healthy Tre could go a long ways next year. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wish the Bills threw in some 3 man rushes vs KC. I don't think man is the answer vs KC. We're not going to pay for the type of man CBs needed, and even those guys are getting beat by Hill.

The Bills coaches just have to have a better plan and adjust better to Mahomes making plays out of the pocket.

No data to actually back this up, but I don't think we are a very good man defense. But I also don't think man is the answer, but it is part of it. We just don't have a lot of "thumpers" anywhere on the field. I think man defenses generally play more physical. So I get where the thought was going. 

Our LB's style are far too reliant on our DL. And our DL belongs in the hall of "meh". We could solve the defense by shifting philosophies in different position groups. But ultimately I don't see us changing our coverage style. 

To me the defense lacks a truly dynamic pass rusher and a run stuffer. I look at the secondary and with Tre in there I think they are very good esp if they retain Levi who has been a solid and consistent cog. They have one of the best most dynamic safety tandems in the league, Tre a true number one corner, one of the most underrated slot corners in the league in T.Johnson, Levi a solid CB2, and Dane Jackson really nice depth. I would like to see them sure up the depth but I feel that can be addressed in round 3-5 as opposed to a high end pick. 

The LB core is also good. Milano is a true stud and while I know Edumonds gets a lot of hate around here fairly or unfairly I do think he is a solid MLB who fits the mold of the defense. Klein is also solid depth there and can fill in for either. The D-line on the other hand is good but not dynamic. The Bills generated 42 sacks tied for 11th in the league with the Bengals. That's pretty effective but not exactly elite either as the Bills did shoot up the rankings thanks to 9 sacks against the hapless Jets had they only had 2-3 sacks (a respectable number) against the Jets they would have been around 18-19 in the league not tragic but fairly average. 

Ed Oliver is very good but not a "dynamic" player just yet and the rest of the defensive line is mostly a mishmash of average to above average players. I think the "dynamic" player is going to have to come from within. I don't see (and wouldn't prefer) the Bills to go after a big time pass rusher in free agency as I want the O-line addressed and Levi/H.Phillips resigned and signing that type of pass rusher will impact the ability to do both. 

Overall the D-line can get a run stuffer which will help along with resigning Phillips. But they need a dynamic edge rusher and for that they have to count on the development of Groot, AJ and Boogie. 

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You said the guy at fault is gone… meaning the ST coordinator… blaming the ST coordinator for the last 13 seconds is ridiculous. 

What am I going to do about what? He doesn’t deserve to be fired. That would be stupid. He totally ***** up. Deflecting blame to “execution” was pretty ***** weak on his part… but JMO.

I actually agree with you. He made a point of being vague and not pinning blame on others. He did **** up, but all we can do is move forward. Live and learn. It should have been less than 13 seconds, and they shouldn’t have played it the way they did. I’m also upset, but people who act like they should be fired are just being childish, IMO. Big picture, folks. Look at the big picture. 

19 hours ago, mjt328 said:

That is not how all defenses operate.

Some defenses (such as the one Rex Ryan had before McDermott) operate on aggression, and trying to force mistakes.

His philosophy was the complete opposite.  Lots of blitzing and chaos.  Leaving cornerbacks on an island in man coverage.  Etc.

How well did Rex do with our D again? I remember a core of players that were a top 5D and Rex making them one of the worst in the league. 

Careful what you wish for OP. 

49 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

How well did Rex do with our D again? I remember a core of players that were a top 5D and Rex making them one of the worst in the league. 

Careful what you wish for OP. 

Never said I wished for Rex Ryan, or anything close to him.  Not sure where you got that.

In fact, I said that I don't believe we need an overhaul or drastic change on defense.  

McDermott/Frazier's scheme is probably fine against 75-80% of the opponents we face.

But when we face a powerful/run-first team (Indianapolis, Tennessee, New England), we may need the ability to go bigger in the Front 7. 

When we face a QB that picks-apart zone coverage, we may need the ability to mix in some man-coverage to keep them guessing.

There also may be times that we need to adjust and call for more blitzing.

10 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Don't defend a hail mary and sidelines with 13 seconds left when the opponent just wants a FG attempt and they have timeouts.  Seriously, if they had handled that situation differently we could be discussing a repeat.  You can always improve but McDermott is not some idiot who uses the same gamplan every game like this appears to say.

I agree.  You can't judge a defense on a single game.  Certainly not a single series (no matter how poorly it was done).

You are right.  McDermott doesn't use the same gameplan every game, per se.

But he does have HIS system, and doesn't deviate too far from it week-to-week.

10 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

You reference the Pats as being someone that adapts and is versatile.  How did that defense adapt in the wild card playoff game?  The expectation of dominating every opponent is not something that is achievable in today's game.   Not even the great Patriots can or have done that.

Josh Allen is the achilles-heel for a Belichick defense.  Pure and simple.

The Pats are built on game planning and preparation.  After that game (and the one a few weeks before), film showed that numerous times Belichick called the perfect play... only for Allen to break away from the pocket anyway and make a huge play.  

You can't expect to dominate every opponent.  But more can be done to match-up better against a wider variety of opponents.

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The issues on defense are the same as they were last off-season

1. Coaching - cost us the SuperBowl

2. Middle linebacker that makes no plays and who is supposed to be good in pass coverage and gives up a 100+ QB rating

3. DEs that seemingly get pressure but don't create negative plays

4. Soft against physical teams - see Indy and Pats game #1

There were two-three bright spots.  Oliver was better. Phillips started terribly and then finished the season playing his best football.  Milano stayed healthy.

Beane tried to make the defense better. It just didn't work.  Investments made last year may pay off next year.  Rousseau flashed at times.  Basham was earning more time at the end of the season.  Epenesa looks like a bust that might be a surprise roster cut. But who knows.  Jackson held his own and at worst should provide some depth.  

Draft CB and true edge speed rusher.  

Make a decision on Edmunds.  Either trade him now or let him play his last year out and walk away from him next year.  

Completely agree. We have a very good defense,  just not elite. I'm not going to get into the #1 ranking debate. I forsee Levi leaving and with Tre's return delayed,  this will probably force our 1st pick to be CB.  If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for Edmunds then I'd do that Immediately. We're stuck with Star but I could see us drafting a Travis Jones in the 3rd?  He could compliment Harry. I see all 3 of Addison, Hughes & Butler gone. I wish we could afford Chandler Jones but that's probably not feasible. Go more snaps with the young guys and see what you have?

• Agree 1

Just wanted to take a quick look at some rushing stats...since throughout the year, the biggest knock against the defense seemed to be their play vs. the run. And this seemed to be a good spot for it.

Overall, the Bills ended the season 12th in rushing yards against, allowing 25 yards/game more than league-leading Baltimore.

They averaged 112.5 rushing yards allowed per game, good for 15th place, just above the league average.

But...

The Bills Defense held 11 (of 19) opponents under 96 yards total team rushing (they held 9 teams under 80 yards total team rushing). Team rushing totals for those 11 games' opponents were: 75, 71, 78, 48, 68, 79, 70, 44, 96, 48, 89. Those are some pretty dominating numbers. And the backs in those games weren't a murderers row by any means, but they weren't horrible (as can be said for some of the QB competition this year): Najee Harris, Antonio Gibson, Myles Gaskin, Michael Carter, Mark Ingram, Chubba Hubbard, Carlos Hyde, Mike Davis, Cordarrell Patterson, Damien Harris.

In 14 of 19 games, the leading rusher (RB or QB) for the opposing team was held below 72 yards. In 14 games, the opponent's leading RB was held under 45 yards rushing. That seems a bit surprising, huh?

Only 4 RBs had 100+ yards rushing in a game. Two playing at a HOF level this year. Taylor 185, Henry 143, Fournette 113, and Damien Harris (111, 103, 30 in 3 games). There were 3 really bad miscues in the run game this year: D. Henry's 76 yard TD, Harris' 64 yard TD in the wind game, and Harris' 31 yard scamper in Pats game II. If those three plays had been executed properly, then only Fournette and Taylor would have had 100 yard games this year.

So the Bills completely shut down the run in 11 games, had 2 really horrible games (Pats I/Colts), had maybe 4 other bad games, and 2 ok games.

Interesting to note that three of the eight (ok to horrible) games, the QB was the leading rusher for the opponent (Mahomes twice, Cam Newton once). That may be something McDermott definitely needs to look into. If you take away QB runs, then the Bills really only had 3-4 bad games against running backs on the season. And two of those were against guys playing at an all-world level this year (Henry and Taylor).

This isn't to say we don't need to improve against the run, but I'm not sure our run defense is quite as bad as it looked at times this year.

Again, if the three major miscues above were just mistakes/execution, not scheme or personnel, then I would say the places to look for improvement is the Colts game (what went wrong there, if it wasn't just Taylor being amazing) and how to stop a mobile QB (not give up cheap yards to QB scrambles). Mahomes had 130 yards rushing in two meetings against us this year. If we are going to get past them, this needs to be figured out. As to the miscues, if I'm not mistaken, they were all on cut-back runs. Something else to look into (is that on Tremaine or the safeties over pursuing? I'd have to go back and look at the film. Can't remember off the top of my head).

Anyhow, just food for thought/discussion about where the improvement is needed (as far as the rush defense is concerned).

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2022 at 8:42 PM, mjt328 said:

That is not how all defenses operate.

Some defenses (such as the one Rex Ryan had before McDermott) operate on aggression, and trying to force mistakes.

His philosophy was the complete opposite.  Lots of blitzing and chaos.  Leaving cornerbacks on an island in man coverage.  Etc.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, mjt328 said:

Never said I wished for Rex Ryan, or anything close to him.  Not sure where you got that.

In fact, I said that I don't believe we need an overhaul or drastic change on defense.  

McDermott/Frazier's scheme is probably fine against 75-80% of the opponents we face.

But when we face a powerful/run-first team (Indianapolis, Tennessee, New England), we may need the ability to go bigger in the Front 7. 

When we face a QB that picks-apart zone coverage, we may need the ability to mix in some man-coverage to keep them guessing.

There also may be times that we need to adjust and call for more blitzing.

I specifically quoted your Hot Rex Ryan take and said to be careful what you wish for. His entire era here is Buffalo was a disaster on D. 

Overall, I do agree the Bills D needs to be more aggressive when playing with a lead.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.