What the Defense is really missing...

mjt328

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Over the course of the season (and especially since the divisional playoff game), I've seen lots of complaining about the defense.

Some of the most common claims:

• The Bills defense was a "paper tiger" who were really below average and didn't deserve to be the NFL's #1 unit in points/yards.
  • The players are "soft" and cannot stop any decent teams.  Especially those with good QBs.
  • We don't have any "elite" players, and we need to trade multiple #1 Picks to obtain one.  (In other words, we need to copy the Rams blueprint).

Then you have the people calling for us to fire Sean McDermott and/or Leslie Frazier.  The cries to cut Tremaine Edmunds and replace most of the D-Line.

Personally, I don't buy any of this.  We don't need to a complete overhaul.  We don't need to make a HUGE splash.

What the Defense truly lacks... is VERSATILITY.

This team has basically been running the SAME scheme for 5 seasons.

Four man pass rush.  Very little blitzing.  Zone coverage.  Strong tackling after the catch.  Bend-but-don't-break philosophy.

Brandon Beane has supplied the coaching staff with plenty of talent to run the McDermott/Frazier scheme.  Everyone on the roster is a strong fit.  The players know the system well, and are EXCELLENT at running it.  They are VERY fundamentally strong.  In fact, I think it could be argued that our defensive players peaked in many ways during 2021.

The problem is... the McDermott/Frazier scheme is NOT the best gameplan for stopping EVERY SINGLE team.  Which is why we have a tendency to absolutely dominate some opponents, and then struggle badly against others.  

• Our front 7 is generally undersized (partially by design).  Which means we often struggle against physical O-Lines and strong running teams.
  • Some QBs are patient and can pick zone coverage apart.  Especially when they are expecting to see it all-day.

I also believe the main reason our defense has good "pressure stats" each year, but lack actual sacks - is because every QB/Offensive Coordinator plans short and quick passes against us.  A split second of hesitation (if they weren't sure what the Bills were coming with) would almost certainly result in more QB sacks. 

One of the reasons Bill Belichick has fielded a great Defense consistently (even without elite star power), is his ability to adapt and change depending on opponent.  Our current roster simply does not have the versatility to make those kind of changes week-to-week.  McDermott can focus on fundamentals, gap-control, staying mentally tough, etc.  But it's just a simple fact that Buffalo's defense does not match up well against some opponents (Indianapolis was probably the best example of this). 

To conquer the NFL playoffs and win the Super Bowl, we can't have games like Kansas City.

In my opinion, adding some versatility should be Beane's primary focus this offseason:

• We need to have a talented space-eater (0 or 1-Tech Nose Tackle) who can occupy blockers when we face run-first teams
  • We need 1-2 cornerbacks who can switch between man/zone coverage as-needed

Bottom line.  There is no need to make drastic changes.  Just get the pieces needed to switch things up when needed.

I don’t listen to the noise, but I can see us not resigning Butler or Addison, we’re stuck with Star due to the contract, and let Edmunds play out his 5th year option.  No early contract.

As much as I like to wait for FA, I’m guessing Beane will take a CB in the 1st.  The question is there a top notch 2nd round space eating 1 tech DT we could benefit complimenting Horrible Harry?

These two additions would definitely benefit our defense.

Offense is for a different forum.

• Vomit 1

27 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Bingo. Exactly right. The same people that say we need more speed on defense ignore the fact that we were dead last in the league in yards after the catch on offense. We really didn’t play well offensively until the second half of the Bucs game. I’m not betting anything that what we saw afterwards is sustainable until we add some more playmakers on the offensive side. As long as we have Allen, we need to do right by him and get him weapons like the chiefs have done for Mahomes. 

I appreciate the 'bingo, exactly right' comment, but you went on about the offense and my comment was regarding the defense. Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

There is ALWAYS room for improvement, but if anyone spends too much time hating on what we saw last year, that is their problem. We had a lot more ups than downs. And we were missing our best defensive player much of the year. We get Tre back next season. I like our chances. 

This is true.

I still think their pass rush is the wildcard though.

Struggled last year IMO

It will be up to basham, AJ and Greg.

If they all rise, I like our chances.

If not, it will be tough to beat the chiefs in the playoffs 

The issues on defense are the same as they were last off-season

1. Coaching - cost us the SuperBowl

2. Middle linebacker that makes no plays and who is supposed to be good in pass coverage and gives up a 100+ QB rating

3. DEs that seemingly get pressure but don't create negative plays

4. Soft against physical teams - see Indy and Pats game #1

There were two-three bright spots.  Oliver was better. Phillips started terribly and then finished the season playing his best football.  Milano stayed healthy.

Beane tried to make the defense better. It just didn't work.  Investments made last year may pay off next year.  Rousseau flashed at times.  Basham was earning more time at the end of the season.  Epenesa looks like a bust that might be a surprise roster cut. But who knows.  Jackson held his own and at worst should provide some depth.  

Draft CB and true edge speed rusher.  

Make a decision on Edmunds.  Either trade him now or let him play his last year out and walk away from him next year.  

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

We led the league in fewest yards allowed and fewest points allowed, 4th in takeaways and we led the league in fewest yards allowed pre drive.  Basically, the exact opposite of the 'bend don't break' philosophy you said the team uses.

The only major piece I believe we are missing is a consistent pass rush that produces sacks. Other than that, our defense is at or near the top in all other important categories.

Bend-Don't-Break means:

1.  Don't get beat over the top with big pass plays

2.  Keep completions in front of the defenders

3.  Be solid at tackling, and prevent Yards After the Catch

4.  Force the offense to be patient and go on long drives in order to score

It does not mean allowing 400-500 yards per game, and hoping to hold teams to field goals.

If this kind of defense is run well, it can still produce turnovers and prevent yards/points.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wish the Bills threw in some 3 man rushes vs KC. I don't think man is the answer vs KC. We're not going to pay for the type of man CBs needed, and even those guys are getting beat by Hill.

The Bills coaches just have to have a better plan and adjust better to Mahomes making plays out of the pocket.

Every team has a different answer.  That is my point.

I definitely don't think man-coverage is a good plan against Tyreek Hill.  Nor is it smart to blitz a lot.

But you can still mix in a good amount of man coverage against other players on the Chiefs offense.  Send the occasional surprise blitz.  At least keep them guessing.

What the Bills do... they do extremely well.

It's just that some opponents require a change-up pitch, and we don't seem to have the players to accomplish that.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Bend-Don't-Break means:

1.  Don't get beat over the top with big pass plays

2.  Keep completions in front of the defenders

3.  Be solid at tackling, and prevent Yards After the Catch

4.  Force the offense to be patient and go on long drives in order to score

It does not mean allowing 400-500 yards per game, and hoping to hold teams to field goals.

If this kind of defense is run well, it can still produce turnovers and prevent yards/points.

Bend but don't break means you give up more yardage on drives (bend), but more often than not,  keep the offense out of the endzone( not breaking).

You're definition is how all defenses operate, they all want to prevent big pass plays, keep completions in front of the defenders...

It exactly means giving up 400-500 yards , or so,  and holding the team to field goal attempts. 

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Every team has a different answer.  That is my point.

I definitely don't think man-coverage is a good plan against Tyreek Hill.  Nor is it smart to blitz a lot.

But you can still mix in a good amount of man coverage against other players on the Chiefs offense.  Send the occasional surprise blitz.  At least keep them guessing.

What the Bills do... they do extremely well.

It's just that some opponents require a change-up pitch, and we don't seem to have the players coaches to accomplish that.

Fixed that for you

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree with your premise.  I don’t fully agree that front 7 is generally undersized.  Oliver is light for his position as is Milano (but not by much).  Phillips and Star are not really undersized, nor is Edmonds.  

I think that in those games that D got splattered by run it was refusal to commit more defenders to the run.  Likewise, pedestrian sack numbers are partially due to lack of blitzing LBs and stunting and oTher “games” by DL.  For a team that often rushes only 4 vs 5 OL plus a RB, is it any wonder they don’t get more sacks?

Our base defense is Nickel.  Which makes us small right off the bat.  Taron Johnson is basically our strong-side linebacker.

We don't really have a huge 0-Tech nose tackle.  Which granted, isn't always typical for 4-3 defenses.  But it would be nice carrying one for some matchups.

At 1-Tech, Star Lotulelei seemed to do a good job occupying blockers in the past, but really fell off this season.  Harrison Phillips was better, but I still don't see him as a really huge help in stuffing the run.

Edmonds may not be physically small, but his game isn't really about stuffing the run between the tackles.  It's more about covering large chunks of the middle zone in the pass game, and running sideline to sideline.  Very similar with Milano.

Again.  I'm not complaining about our defense.  It's designed this way for a purpose.

It would just be nice if we added some pieces that allowed us to change things up, especially when we go up against teams like Indianapolis and Tennessee.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Fixed that for you

If the gameplan requires us to move towards more man coverage, we don't have the personnel to do that.

If the gameplan requires us to go heavier up-front, we don't really have the personnel to do that either.

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Bend but don't break means you give up more yardage on drives (bend), but more often than not,  keep the offense out of the endzone( not breaking).

You're definition is how all defenses operate, they all want to prevent big pass plays, keep completions in front of the defenders...

It exactly means giving up 400-500 yards , or so,  and holding the team to field goal attempts. 

That is not how all defenses operate.

Some defenses (such as the one Rex Ryan had before McDermott) operate on aggression, and trying to force mistakes.

His philosophy was the complete opposite.  Lots of blitzing and chaos.  Leaving cornerbacks on an island in man coverage.  Etc.

Adding a CB to replace Wallace is an obvious need.  To make a jump in the performance of the defense, the Bills need to have at least one member of the front four that requires a double team block.  It makes d-line stunts more effective and makes offenses more vulnerable to a blitz. It keeps the linebackers clean and limits many things that offenses can do.  Right now the Bills don't have that guy but I'm hoping one of the new guys can become that kind of player.  I always hoped that Ed Oliver would be a dominate force but that has not materialized yet.

Creating chaos at the line of scrimmage enhances the effectiveness of the secondary and linebackers.  It messes up the timing of the running game and keeps the QB from feeling settled in the pocket.

I believe that Beane will keep taking early shots in the draft until he gets one of these players.

• Vomit 1

So I think this is what did last years team miss to get us to the promised land of Lombardi.

It’s easy then. Tre white. We win everything if we have him and have an argument that we could have won with out him. Anyone talking paper tigers or other needs for last year team is not grounded in what can realistically be done. 

Going forward is a big question. I think they have LB locked up (barring a surprising edmunds trade). Safeties is obviously a silly value for both their contracts. We need some help at CB while Tre is out but are pretty good when he’s back (Tre, Johnson, Dane, Neal, Lewis is a good set).

that leaves us with replacing what we might lose this off-season on DL. Need someone to replace Jerry’s pressures. asking for more pressures from a UFA will cost a bit but I think we can get more out of Groot. And at DT we got a couple holes to fill. 

13 seconds was awful but we were and are still really close. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

There is ALWAYS room for improvement, but if anyone spends too much time hating on what we saw last year, that is their problem. We had a lot more ups than downs. And we were missing our best defensive player much of the year. We get Tre back next season. I like our chances. 

Other than McD presser at end of year, any idea or news on Tre recovery?  Curious what is time line and if will be ready by camp?  Is he rehabing in BLO or elsewhere?  I’m sure it has been discussed before but appreciate any info

Watching Rams d in super bowl and Darnold lining up all over the place and last 13 seconds showed our lack of SA and scheming hold them back a ton. We could use a stud rusher and another stellar corner opposite Tre but does seem like biggest thing holding us back to being elite is coaching. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.