PFF ranks Milano best in pass coverage

BuffaloBill

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Milano ranked top LB in coverage

I know PFF is a lightening rod source for many around here, understandably so.  The linked article points to PFF grading Mat Milano as last season’s best coverage LB.

Thoughts?

He might be…. Where he hurts you is defending plays run at him. OL just completely wipe him out. He is more of a safety than a LB so he had better be good in coverage. And this is how our defense is set up. We want to be very strong vs. the pass. But we fail horribly on two counts.  Number one, our hole defense depends on Tre White being magnificent and our safeties being smart as hell. The defense really isn’t designed to lose Tre White. Second, our hugely paid defensive line didn’t even come close to making their money. They were pretty poor.

The run yards we give up are really insignificant if things if our team is functioning properly. JA should be scoring touchdowns all the time and our pass rush and coverage combined should be among the very best in the NFL.

Thats why we have to draft defense again. The FA market is not good enough or too expensive plus we can keep the offense together with a lot less money.

Imho, We spend on offense again maybe adding a player or two. We dedicate the top three picks in the draft to three positions…. DT, DE and CB….looking for big upgrades at least the #1 pick and the corner…

3 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

He might be…. Where he hurts you is defending plays run at him. OL just completely wipe him out. He is more of a safety than a LB so he had better be good in coverage. And this is how our defense is set up. We want to be very strong vs. the pass. But we fail horribly on two counts.  Number one, our hole defense depends on Tre White being magnificent and our safeties being smart as hell. The defense really isn’t designed to lose Tre White. Second, our hugely paid defensive line didn’t even come close to making their money. They were pretty poor.

The run yards we give up are really insignificant if things if our team is functioning properly. JA should be scoring touchdowns all the time and our pass rush and coverage combined should be among the very best in the NFL.

Thats why we have to draft defense again. The FA market is not good enough or too expensive plus we can keep the offense together with a lot less money.

Imho, We spend on offense again maybe adding a player or two. We dedicate the top three picks in the draft to three positions…. DT, DE and CB….looking for big upgrades at least the #1 pick and the corner…

He doesn't always just get wiped out of the play. There has been many plays he has gotten off a block and made plays and also times he will just shoot through everyone and make a play in the back field. Not sure why you think he gets wiped out all the time. I'm not saying he never gets blocked out of a play because obviously it happens, but any LB can/will/has get blocked or wiped out of a play if the offensive play is ran right and LB's are where the OL expect them to be so that a good block can be delivered.

But certainly not an issue with Malino in that area imo. If anything one could say Edmunds gets wiped out of a play much more than Malino

14 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Milano is a over paid middle of the pack LB. He’ll be gone in a couple of years and barely be remembered. Bills can do better but he’s a high motor home grown player that McPuke and Beane love and don’t have the guts to get rid of. 

I don't know about over paid or not, but I would consider him better than a "middle of the pack LB". imo he's a bit better than your average LB easily. 

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not what they said, Hap.

It’s more like this:

“Beane sucks and can’t draft or sign free agents.” 

“McDermott sucks and is too conservative. He will never win a Super Bowl.”

”This team sucks and will never win anything. Every single position needs to be upgraded outside of QB. Although Josh isn’t Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert.” 

#2 is pretty accurate. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

Roughly 85% of playoff teams since 1997 have more passing yards/attempt than they allow.

Roughly 57% of playoff teams since 1997 have more rush yards/attempt than they allow.

Passing is more important than running in the NFL.  To become a winning team, you have to be good at passing and stopping the pass. 

Belichick knew this a long time ago.  That's why he lined up in a 2-3-6 against the Bills in our first Super Bowl.  He actually told his D to let Thurman run for over 100 yards.  He knew they'd win if they stopped Kelly.  

Everything about our D says McD and Frazier also understand this truth about the importance of passing.  We run a 4-2 nickel defense - what would have been called "pass prevent" in the old days.  Neither of our LBs are Dick Butkus types.  They're both coverage guys who are okay-ish at tackling. 

Milano excels at the very thing McD wants him to excel at.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, yeah I saw that, but was curious to know who actually was the one that made that type of play call in that particular point in the game with 13 seconds left?

It probably was Frazier I'm assuming but considering the circumstances with the level of importance for that particular moment in the game, wasn't sure if McD might have stepped in for those last 2 Defensive plays or not.

But as I said, you'd think the one who did not call those last 2 defensive plays would have corrected the one that did or at least try to. I don't know, just seems to me that it was a very simple, common sense that even a regular fan with average knowledge of the game or maybe even a little less than average knowledge would easily know not to do that....

Anyway, whatever....it's over and done with now so....

The very worst thing about the end of that game is that McDermott called 2 defensive time outs... one before the 19 yard pass to Tyreek Hill and then the last timeout and the following play before the 25 yard pass to Kelce. These were the two plays which preceded Butker's 49 yard game tying field goal which forced overtime.

WTF were they discussing during those time outs???

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The very worst thing about the end of that game is that McDermott called 2 defensive time outs... one before the 19 yard pass to Tyreek Hill and then the last timeout and the following play before the 25 yard pass to Kelce. These were the two plays which preceded Butker's 49 yard game tying field goal which forced overtime.

WTF were they discussing during those time outs???

"It starts with me"....."I'm not going to go into it"...." we didn't execute".....later

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not what they said, Hap.

It’s more like this:

“Beane sucks and can’t draft or sign free agents.” 

“McDermott sucks and is too conservative. He will never win a Super Bowl.”

”This team sucks and will never win anything. Every single position needs to be upgraded outside of QB. Although Josh isn’t Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert.” 

Or Mac

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Not really news tbh, Milano is a very capable LB in coverage

PFF remains useless 

I'm not a huge fan of PFF but to call it useless is pretty harsh.  

It offers something somewhat useful.  There's a reason all 32 teams subscribe to it.  And agents find it useful when PFF rates their clients highly.

21 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

No LB in the league is covering Kelce 1 on 1, but I would like to know what his responsibilities were on that last pass to Kelce before OT. He and Wallace weren’t on the same page.

If they had simply listened to Kelce, they would have been fine....

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When PFF says something good about a Bills player: "PFF are experts. This is now the gospel truth"

When PFF grades a Bills player low: "PFF is trash. Less reliable then quoting Wiki for 'proof'. What a joke and they obviously have a grudge."

I don't think that is the case. Bills fans are pretty united in the PFF disdain. Just read the thread and you will see many posters pointing out that they suck regardless of when they say something good or bad about a player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.