Per Andrew Marchand (New York Post) Troy Aikman is ESPN bound for MNF

Greg S

On 2/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, Mark Vader said:

That's a fair question.

As a kid, I did enjoy listening to certain announcers than others, not because of their personalities, but rather that they had the best voice for the game. People like Howard Cosell & John Madden added more because of their personas.

There were a lot of crews that I enjoyed listening too. Dick Enberg & Merlin Olsen, later Bob Trumpy, Marv Albert & Paul Maguire, Pat Sumerall & John Madden, Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford & Don Meredith.

Individually I liked, Dick Stockton, Charlie Jones, Verne Lundquist & Hank Stram.

Back when ESPN had Sunday night football, I enjoyed Mike Patrick & Joe Theisman. 

For college football, no team was better than Keith Jackson & Dick Vermeil. Although I really enjoyed ESPN's prime time crew of Ron Franklin & Mike Gottfried.

Today, I do like Jim Nantz & Tony Romo, they are a fun listen. I'm fine with Chris Collinsworth although he does have his annoying moments. Kevin Harlan does not get nearly enough credit.

Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and Paul Maguire are the best announcing team of all time. Magical

I haven't seen a lot of Troy's broadcasts, but I remember him doing a Bills game and I was impressed. On top of his ability to be interesting, he was far better informed about the Billsn than any of the others I'd heard besides our home broadcasting crew. Back then, all ther announcers were pronouncing players names wrong. They clearly didn't understand the team. Troy will be a good addition to MNF.

• Dislike 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, Greg S said:

(16) Andrew Marchand on Twitter: "NEWS COLUMN: Troy Aikman is leaving Fox Sports for ESPN and he could bring Joe Buck with him, The Post has learned. https://t.co/XIwmM297db" / Twitter

Aikman is ok.  I don’t hate listening to him like a Collinsworth but I do think he’s that good either.  What a fat contract for him 

31 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Aikman is ok.  I don’t hate listening to him like a Collinsworth but I do think he’s that good either.  What a fat contract for him 

He is the classic meathead ex-football player type who repeats the same and false broadcasting tropes over and over again.  He'll probably talk about "momentum" a lot and for some odd reason, he loves to reference "Vic Fangio" with always makes me laugh.

And when a coach does something intelligent that Troy doesn't understand based on analytics, he proudly declares "I don't know what he's doing there" and expresses disdain for the choice, as opposed to understanding and explaining it to the viewer.

He's just terrible.

The current world of football broadcasting is utterly devoid of quality.

There's a few decent guys out there, but it's mostly terrible.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:11 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It seems to me like networks are wasting money. No one watches football games for the play by play crew. 

We will watch regardless but I've definitely noticed the MNF crew the last two seasons which has been two different crews has been dreadful compared to their peers. So it is noticeable. The entire production lacks energy too. And heck the crew before was pretty bad I am told although i didn't really watch MNF that much that year for some reason so can't really recall. I think that was the Jason Whitten year. 

I don’t mind Aikman & Buck, but I don’t consider them anything special at all.  I’m neutral on their announcing. I do prefer more enthusiasm from the announcers. 

However, getting rid of Levy & Griese would be a definite improvement for me. I think Levi just doesn’t like Buffalo. He took shots at Bills mafia, insinuating they’re reputation and traveling numbers were overrated, & doesn’t appear to be a fan of Josh Allen. Griese also seemed to be looking for any mistakes by Josh Allen & seemed to be rooting for the other team on most occasions. Obviously I am not objective, but I always felt like I was listening to the other team’s announcing crew when they did Bills games. 

On the other hand, I think Jim Nance genuinely likes Josh & likes the Bills mafia story.  Not to the pro-Bills feel of Chris Berman, but he seems to lean a little our way. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.