Per Andrew Marchand (New York Post) Troy Aikman is ESPN bound for MNF

Greg S

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So honest question-was it really that much better back then or do you just have a favorable memory? I honestly don’t know if the announcers are that much different than they used to be, we all just now have a way to voice our comments/complaints that we didn’t have back then.

it’s like when people say Michael Jordan would never complain like Lebron does now. Michael was one of the biggest complainers in the league (they even changed the rules for him!) but we don’t remember those things about him

That's a fair question.

As a kid, I did enjoy listening to certain announcers than others, not because of their personalities, but rather that they had the best voice for the game. People like Howard Cosell & John Madden added more because of their personas.

There were a lot of crews that I enjoyed listening too. Dick Enberg & Merlin Olsen, later Bob Trumpy, Marv Albert & Paul Maguire, Pat Sumerall & John Madden, Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford & Don Meredith.

Individually I liked, Dick Stockton, Charlie Jones, Verne Lundquist & Hank Stram.

Back when ESPN had Sunday night football, I enjoyed Mike Patrick & Joe Theisman. 

For college football, no team was better than Keith Jackson & Dick Vermeil. Although I really enjoyed ESPN's prime time crew of Ron Franklin & Mike Gottfried.

Today, I do like Jim Nantz & Tony Romo, they are a fun listen. I'm fine with Chris Collinsworth although he does have his annoying moments. Kevin Harlan does not get nearly enough credit.

• Like (+1) 1

Aikman he can't seem to understand the rules of English.  That commentator he always wants to have two subjects in every sentence.  

Aikman he can't seem to tell us anything that most football fans already know.  Those fans they might like him if they're stupored up from too much beer, and Aikman he tells them what they ought to know anyway, so the fans they can feel smart and superior.  Aikman he is so far below Tony Romo in telling us what we DON'T already know that there's no comparison.  Aikman he would be a good choice for people who know nothing about football to learn a little about the basics of the game.  Aikman he is Captain Obvious for most of the rest of us.  

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It seems to me like networks are wasting money. No one watches football games for the play by play crew. 

Totally agree...I watch the games with sound off or so low I can’t here it.

If I want to be entertained, I turn on the “Deportes” broadcast even though i don’t understand Spanish.

(unless it is a college game with Gus Johnson..that I have to listen to..)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Saw it was 5 years at $17mil per year. Also heard they were going to try and get Joe Buck as well.

$85 million for 5 years... that might be more than Aikman made in total as a player, and it's just 5 years of broadcasting. 

You can see the allure for these guys... it's great money for half a year's work a few days a week covering a game you love. 

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Aikman he can't seem to understand the rules of English.  That commentator he always wants to have two subjects in every sentence.  

Aikman he can't seem to tell us anything that most football fans already know.  Those fans they might like him if they're stupored up from too much beer, and Aikman he tells them what they ought to know anyway, so the fans they can feel smart and superior.  Aikman he is so far below Tony Romo in telling us what we DON'T already know that there's no comparison.  Aikman he would be a good choice for people who know nothing about football to learn a little about the basics of the game.  Aikman he is Captain Obvious for most of the rest of us.  

I see what you did there! 👌

My take on this thread.....

it's pretty much a tribute to the great John Madden, so great timing. John broke the mold. Everyone who came after John is pretty much just doing that, following after John. No one like him. John was an entertainer. He knew the game, how to break it down, and how to describe it back to the viewer...with humor!

For what it's worth, I do like the 3-broadcaster model though. I find it easier to listen occasionally to each of the 3 instead of the back and forth between the play-by-play and the analyst. For that reason, I actually don't mind Riddick, Griese, and Levy. Even if you don't like them individually, you get less of each....which is more. haha

Edited by InTheBuffAllTheTime
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It seems to me like networks are wasting money. No one watches football games for the play by play crew. 

But the Monday night team was hard to listen to; very boring, in my view.  And the lack of quality broadcast voices, especially the two color guys, was part of it.

Aikman is not a favorite of mine but he is a significant step up.  MNF ratings will improve.

If they can pair him up with Buck, the ratings will improve dramatically.  And they will get better games to broadcast.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

They should leave Buck right where he is.  Get a play by play man who has some energy without; and isn’t so sanctimonious.

Greg Olsen is/was Fox #2 play by play man behind Aikman. If Buck stays with Fox then its good bet Olsen joins him.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:37 AM, BuffaloBud said:

I actually turned the volume off for the Bills-Chiefs game as I was getting sick to my stomach listening to Nance / Romo.  I was doing the PxP in my head.  The only saving grace for Romo is that he will be an analyst and contribute to the broadcast.  Aikman - just blah blah blah - nothing of substance.

It’s funny you say that. Because, most play by plays guys are so boring, you know what they will say before they say it. I do this all the time, and my family has always commented on it (how do I know what they will say?) LOL, it’s not very hard most of the time. 

21 hours ago, Utah John said:

Totally agree. I appreciate when they break down plays showing things that aren’t obvious, especially from the broadcast angles. 

Besides Aikman being captain obvious, most are. At least, more are than aren’t. 

Fortunately for me (not my wife) I’m VERY good at tuning things out. Most of the time, I don’t pay much attention to the commentators, and honestly, the reason I like having sound, is to hear the sounds of the game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.